Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM

86 posts, read 359,539 times

Advertisements

The famous book "the Secret" states that our thoughts are a very powerful tool to attract what we want. Also it says you can attract the partner who is perfect for you, only if you focus your thoughts and positive vibes into it. Honestly, does anyone believe that "the law of attraction " really works.??..in all areas of our lives. Any stories, comments are welcome..
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
I've read "The Secret" and although I agree with some of it and in general theory, I think it's not that revolutionary.
Way before LOA, I believed that positive thinking attracts positive results. There are no cons to being an optimist in my opinion, none. Even if things don't go your way, it's still better to look into the future thinking that there will be improvement.

I don't however believe that all bad things that happen to us are caused by our own negative thinking (which is what LOA is implying). Sometimes bad things just happen. I also don't believe in the idea that if you cut out a picture of the house from a magazine and stare at it long enough thinking that it will be yours, the money for the house will magically appear in your bank account. My husband and I always talked about living in a resort style living, somewhere close to the beach in a tropical climate. We fantasized about it long enough for it to happen, but we didn't magically transform ourselves there. We actually had to work for it.

I think that our mind is very powerful and without going too much into Spirituality, I think that whatever we put out into this world, is what we get in return. Envy, jealousy, resentment will never bring positive results.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I've read "The Secret" and although I agree with some of it and in general theory, I think it's not that revolutionary.
Way before LOA, I believed that positive thinking attracts positive results. There are no cons to being an optimist in my opinion, none. Even if things don't go your way, it's still better to look into the future thinking that there will be improvement.

I don't however believe that all bad things that happen to us are caused by our own negative thinking (which is what LOA is implying). Sometimes bad things just happen. I also don't believe in the idea that if you cut out a picture of the house from a magazine and stare at it long enough thinking that it will be yours, the money for the house will magically appear in your bank account. My husband and I always talked about living in a resort style living, somewhere close to the beach in a tropical climate. We fantasized about it long enough for it to happen, but we didn't magically transform ourselves there. We actually had to work for it.

I think that our mind is very powerful and without going too much into Spirituality, I think that whatever we put out into this world, is what we get in return. Envy, jealousy, resentment will never bring positive results.

Great post MM, and thanks for sharing some of your own experience and perspective. I especially agree with the part in bold. Negative energy will only produce negative results.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post

Perfectly said MM! I agree that positive thinking in itself is healthy for us in all aspects of our life. Not saying you have to go around with a huge on your face but the mind is a powerful thing and can influence positive results.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyturquoise View Post
The famous book "the Secret" states that our thoughts are a very powerful tool to attract what we want. Also it says you can attract the partner who is perfect for you, only if you focus your thoughts and positive vibes into it. Honestly, does anyone believe that "the law of attraction " really works.??..in all areas of our lives. Any stories, comments are welcome..
Thanks
I'm not in to new age philosophies at all, so I've never read that book or any like it.

But it has always been my experience that what you put out into the world is generally what you get back from it.

In short, attitude is everything

Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Gosh, do I ever agree with you all here. Also, let's face it, so much of how your life turns out, is a matter of perspective. That's where the ole positive thinking comes into play, IMHO. Okay, let's say a person who has never built anything, goes out into the workshop and decides to make a bookshelf....it turns out rickety and uneven. Person #1 is positive, they look the piece over and say, Hmmmmmm, okay, I have to brace it here, use a square to make sure everything's plumb and level, and perhaps cut these pieces a bit longer....Okay, gosh, I'm so proud of myself! I've got that first attempt out of the way and now I know to not make those mistakes again! Oh I can DO this. I'm gonna take it apart and make it GREAT this time!!! Person #2.....negative attitude. Oh that sucks! I KNEW I never should have tried to make something like this. I'm just not good at this kind of thing. I should have known better than to even try. I give up!!

It's amazing how so many people are #2s! They focus on the negative and simply don't have the (whatever it takes) to not let negative situations bog them down into the mire.......don't look at negatives as mere setbacks to be learned from. In relationships, everything is someone elses fault. They never examine themselves and look at themselves through someone else's eyes. Okay.....hehe........off the soapbox. I finally have one day off and the sun if FINALLY shining. I'm gonna get some yard work done and get some sunshine! Have a fabulous day everybody.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:48 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
I haven't read the book, but I do think a person's attitude has a huge impact on what they achieve or don't. But I also think attitude only goes so far. I could be unemployed and tell myself I will land a great job, but that won't make the job just fall into my lap. Likewise, I could tell myself that it's hopeless and I'll never find a job. But the very next day, a recruiter could call with my dream job. So it's important to recognize that attitude makes a huge difference, but that it also doesn't come with any guarantees. Much of what happens in life comes down to luck.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
I am familiar with the book and the beliefs but aside from that, I've never actually read the book. Ever since I was very young, I've always been taught that like attracts like. I have always believed that if you project enough good vibes towards a goal and with some hard work too, you can make these things happen, attract the mate you want, etc... I do however also believe that this doesn't work for everyone.
I think it's a lot of good healthy attitude, hard work, common sense and a host of other traits that are unique to each person. I don't believe you can focus on one thing just by sheer thought and make it happen though.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM

881 posts, read 1,112,941 times
Quote:
Thanks

Yup... my life is like a super fun movie... I just keep re-writing the script, and it allways pans out.... super fun!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Thanks
Someone was able to capitalize on the concepts of laws of attraction as though its some new age hocus pocus, like karma, its existed forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships