Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 PM

108 posts, read 386,221 times

Advertisements

my "roommate" is my girl friend's brother. he didn't really ask to live with us, just showed up and took it upon himself to live there (which initially i was cool with) because we owe him 1000. Since he has been living with us it has been nothing but constant arguing with his sister (my gf). He doesn't have a job and just chills at our house all day and smokes (herbals). So today he got into with my gf again on the phone claiming if we don't give him his money he is going to break our tv and computer. So i called him and checked him (he claims he wouldn't do anything like that) saying that where i come from when someone says they are going to do something they do it. How would you deal with this situation. I want him out of my place tonight, but we can't give him the full 1k only a portion. Do you guys feel that since he has been living with us rent free and provided for (we cook for him too) should he still be entitled to the full repayment?

he has been living with us for a little over a month at our current spot
and about a month at a previous spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 02:29 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
I think it sounds like he should be "paid in full."
Room and board, food, electricity...anything that he would be paying IF he was on his own, and two months is more than enough.
Figure it out on paper. I bet its well over 1K.
Kick him to the curb!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
I would try to pay him and kick him out. If the gf doesn't agree, a new gf too. Excessive drama.

Sorry you're having a hard time. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:48 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
The problem is if you didn't agree upon it before you let him move in that room/board/food/etc. would be considered as payment toward the debt you owe him, then legally, you can't do it. Although it doesn't hurt to give it a try and see how he responds.

Also, you have a situation in which you have allowed him to reside with you and if he really wanted to get nasty, he could force you to go through the courts to evict him from your home.

I would suggest talking with him and telling him the situation is just not working out. Pay him whatever you can towards the debt and document it.

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:22 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I think I would give him what you can afford and lay it out on paper that his living with you covers the rest if it looks like a fair exchange. If his living expenses were more than $1,000 by your calculation, I'd still give him a portion in cash to get rid of him. Make sure he signs off on it so he can't bring the loan up in the future without you being able to refute it.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Tell him to "pack his ****".

You're not obligated to let him stay there just because you owe him money.

Ask him nicely to leave. If he doesn't, take up the illegal drug use up with law enforcement. Have him cited for trespassing (may be tough with eviction law).

If he doesn't leave nicely on first request, have him sue you for the $1k.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:35 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Pay him what you can and kick him out. No, you can't deduct living expenses since you didn't agree to it in advance. You can ask, but he can rightfully say no. Chalk it all up to a lessons learned.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:55 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Do what you can to save up the balance owed, quietly, then hand him the money and show him the door.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:05 PM

57 posts, read 87,344 times
This guy living in your home and you owing him money are two separate issues. Did you tell him he could stay there for free? If so, renege the deal. Tell him you had no idea he intended to stay this long.

Tell him he has to pay rent to stay there. Make the rent amount big. That should encourage him to go. Also, give him a list of behaviors that will get him kicked out of the apartment, courtesy of the local law enforcement, if necessary. This list of behavior should also include not paying the rent. You need an agreement. Back charge him for the time he's been there if possible, but you guys didn't have an agreement for that so you may be stuck. You teach people how to treat you and right now your gf's brother thinks what he's doing is Okay, because you let him. Don't let him. Owing him money does not give him the right to treat you or his sister like crap.

Even if he doesn't agree to pay rent, each month tell him how much you don't owe him because he stays there. When the amount is paid off. KICK HIM OUT. If your gf doesn't agree, kick her out, too. This situation can turn disasterously worse if you don't handle it.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Yes, too bad you didn't agree on rent in the first place so you could be even by now.

I'd give him what you can - maybe he can get an apartment with it, and agree to pay the whole amount or another large portion by a certain date. Get that loan out of the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships