Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 AM

263 posts, read 757,897 times

Advertisements

I almost fell over when someone that I had just met for the first time in person after knowing them online for a few years criticized the fact that I say "uh-hmm" sometimes instead of saying yes. They went as far as to even say I should work on that and they realize I probably do that a lot because I am on the phone a good bit in work listening to employee complaints, but that I should realize I'm not in work and not do that! They told me that the proper thing is to say yes. I could not believe it because this was from someone that has the worst grammar and punctuation I have ever seen! They don't know when to properly use "you're or your","their, there or they're". This person types out things like "I should of went" instead of "I should have gone". She even says "ain't". This person is from Tennessee and has that southern drawl. I could go on about this person's grammar and ect, but I don't have all day! Just needed to vent!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 05:56 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,898 times
Possibly a little intimidated or just trying to find something to talk about without thinking first...who knows

Either way if you pick on me for my grammar or punctuation well I guess I could take it to heart if I was living with you, you were making my meals, cleaning my clothes, buying my groceries.........

but you are not so......

Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,342,445 times
You should of tell her to git lost, she ain't no skool teacher.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
In my experience people who correct spelling and grammar are the most arrogant, condescending, insecure people on the face of the earth.
People who do so on an internet message board are even worse....how pathetic.

Last edited by KylieEve; 09-21-2010 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: .

Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM

88,606 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
In my experience people who correct spelling and grammar are the most arrogant, condescending, insecure people on the face of the earth.
Sometimes we're just obsessive, not necessarily arrogant, condescending or insecure. It drove me insane when I first started posting on message boards and discovered that so many people don't care how they spell. I'm not talking about typos; everyone makes them at some point and I get annoyed with myself when I later see one that I made and missed. I'm also not talking about people with learning disabilities. I'm talking about people who just can't be bothered to write things correctly. There are so many of the latter, and they can't ALL have learning disabilities.

Eventually I realized that spelling and grammar on a message board really aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things. It's a casual venue and not meant to be critiqued for writing, so now I just grit my teeth for a moment and then let it go.

Of course, others like me do swap our tales of woe in threads on the Writing forum, hehehehe, especially after seeing people ask for "advise" for the hundredth time or tell how they are afraid to "loose" something for the thousandth.

(And now you will notice those two examples all the time, too!)

Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,798 times
Quote:
I laugh at this. I should keep a collection of messages where poor grammar and spelling completely changed the message the person was trying to send.

The other day, I saw one contentious message where this happened. The person got 100% thumbs up. I assume the intelligent readers agreed with what she said, knowing that wasn't what she meant and the rabble who agreed with what she meant, didn't notice!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:30 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
but that I should realize I'm not in work and not do that! They told me that the proper thing is to say yes.
Where is the logic in that? Surely, the "proper thing to say" should be used IN work? Not that I'm saying you shouldn't be using it in work either but I could at least see the logic if her advice was to speak more formally in work and save "improper" speech for when you're with your friends and family.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,342,175 times
With the exception of two friends who I know won't take it personally, I never comment on grammar or spelling on Facebook.

One of my FB friends is a teacher and doesn't know the difference between you're and your I've never corrected her, but she consistently makes comments like "your awesome" and "you're new haircut looks great", etc.

She's a teacher for crying out loud That's just plain sad.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:50 PM

610 posts, read 1,296,057 times
"Ain't" is the most practical word ever
Where I come from we have changed "ja"(=yes) into a simple breath-noise.

Seriosuly if you're not over 60~ then don't bother about internet grammar unless you want to be seen as a stuck up selfimportant fool,
I don't think i know anyone who uses capital letters or punctuation when writing on facebook, textmessages etc, it ain't worth the time to check through, and a FB comment is no letter to the congress... generally "internetwriting" (including most forums, but seemingly not this one) are informal...

Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 PM

610 posts, read 1,296,057 times
Quote:
exatcly, personally i hardly care to go back and change a "ghello" for a "hello" or a "doug" for a "though", simply waste of time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships