Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 03:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Aren't women who are 'gold diggers' kinda just like prostitutes? Some of them...Especially those who (at least claim to) not like sex, but only do it for money. How is that any different from being a prostitute, except they don't work in a brothel or hang out on street corners. It's just because it's more socially acceptable. In the end, a materialistic dating culture is little different to prostitution, imho, especially where there is little love or equality involved. I'm sure alot of casual sex is because of the sheer enjoyment of sex, of course, but sitcoms etc in particular portray it as women letting men have their way with them for some sort of self-absorbed materialistic benefit on their part (sick of those tired old stereotypes, it only makes the percentage who are like that bigger).

Old 10-13-2010, 03:44 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Yet another reason why I choose to not bother to date any longer....this is how men think? I am a "prostitute" because a guy took me to Starbuck's for coffee? Not, that I am worht going out with because I am nice, smart, funny, attractive. There is more to relatinoships than sex...Or maybe I am just missing the boat....

Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
I just read a few interesting articles on this subject. A couple were really enlightening - here is are excerpts and links to a couple of them:

The Skinny on Gold Diggers and Gigolos

Some people suffer from low self esteem and wish that beautiful women or attractive men should not be solely attracted to others who appear as they do or have incredible investment portfolios. These are people who over time become obsessed with generalizing all women or men as gold diggers and gigolos.

Just because a women is interested in meeting another person who would be able to provide a generous lifestyle does not mean she is exclusively looking for money, but it could mean this is in her list of preferences, likewise for men. However it's also a person's preference to like taller women, educated men, women with curvaceous shapes or men who work out. Summarily, some people really should not worry about gigolos or gold diggers because most have no gold (or things of real value).

Both parties are on the receiving end in most gold digging and gigolo situations. Not all women and men who like to live lavishly are deceptive. In most cases they seek out a life without financial stress and therefore tend to date more high profiled people in order to make sure that if they fall in love, assets were a plus. It is frowned upon even more for the males to indulge in the same mannerisms. Men are thought of as the 'bread winner' or the one who should provide more than half of the support for their families. If a man should depend on a woman's income to support him, it's more often looked upon as he is taking advantage of the female or slothful.

Nevertheless if picturing a relationship as a trade or commerce, suffice it to say, there will always be the exchange of something whether it is love, capital, companionship, intimacy or in well balanced relationship....all of the above! The Skinny on Gold Diggers and Gigolos, Page 2 of 4 - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Dating and Dollars

Not too long ago, it might have been odd for a dating pair to have dialogue about money at such an early stage. The rule was simple: Men paid, women did not. The changing climate in both the economy and society has thrown those rules out the door and produced a murky situation, says Dr. Vera S. Paster, a New York-based relationship therapist and author of Staying Married: A Guide for African-American Couples. "Women like to be cared for by men. On the other hand, they want to be considered independent and capable, so there's that dilemma for women," Paster says. "For men, they feel women make as much or more than they do, so why should they bear the whole burden? On the other hand, they want to be the man, the one who is looked up to. That's why it's difficult, because of all of these mixed feelings."

The Golden Rule Of Dating

Cooper has a simple solution to the madness. "If you ask, you pay," she says. "If you stick to that, you won't have any problems. That eliminates 99 percent of the drama."
Discuss the financial aspects of the date before stepping out. Don't wait until the bill comes.

Dating and dollars: new rules for new times - Money Talk$ - Brief Article | Ebony | Find Articles at BNET

Old 10-13-2010, 05:43 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Aren't women who are 'gold diggers' kinda just like prostitutes? Some of them...Especially those who (at least claim to) not like sex, but only do it for money. How is that any different from being a prostitute, except they don't work in a brothel or hang out on street corners. It's just because it's more socially acceptable. In the end, a materialistic dating culture is little different to prostitution, imho, especially where there is little love or equality involved. I'm sure alot of casual sex is because of the sheer enjoyment of sex, of course, but sitcoms etc in particular portray it as women letting men have their way with them for some sort of self-absorbed materialistic benefit on their part (sick of those tired old stereotypes, it only makes the percentage who are like that bigger).
No not really the same thing Trimac20, but I do get your point

Look at it this way

A Gold Digger has No emotional interest with her partner but does it for the Money
So yeah I guess its a little bit like being a Prostitute

A guy dating a Blonde Bimbo with huge breast, again has No emotional interest with his partner but does it for the Sex
So yeah I guess its a little bit like seeing a Prostitute?

Kind of works both ways..Hairy

Last edited by HairyandScary; 10-13-2010 at 05:52 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
A guy dating a gal for her money (it happens...way more than you think ) is the same thing. No difference. But prostitution? No....a prostitute is by the hour or the night...multiple partners, the dollar bills are the only payoff. Gold diggers and gigolos are after much more...status, material comforts, financial security.

I think you need to turn off the TV dear.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
Quote:

Yes and no. I do agree that there are SOME women who are kidding themselves into thinking they aren't prostitutes. The "gold diggers", yes. I really believe that they are no better than or just the same as a prostitute. They are demanding a level of pampering and in return they hang on their mans arm and basically are at his beck and call. Yes, that is a prostitute.

I don't believe it's fair assumption that just because a woman is expecting something from a man and her way of giving back is sexual means anything at all. Even IN relationships it's a give and take. As women we know we have the power over our men to get them to paint the house or fix the car. We bat our eyelashes, dress a little provacative, give him something good... and in return we get what we asked for. Does that make us prostitutes? No, it makes us smart LOL

Old 10-13-2010, 06:12 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Yes and no. I do agree that there are SOME women who are kidding themselves into thinking they aren't prostitutes. The "gold diggers", yes. I really believe that they are no better than or just the same as a prostitute. They are demanding a level of pampering and in return they hang on their mans arm and basically are at his beck and call. Yes, that is a prostitute.

I don't believe it's fair assumption that just because a woman is expecting something from a man and her way of giving back is sexual means anything at all. Even IN relationships it's a give and take. As women we know we have the power over our men to get them to paint the house or fix the car. We bat our eyelashes, dress a little provacative, give him something good... and in return we get what we asked for. Does that make us prostitutes? No, it makes us smart LOL
Dam it, I got to stop falling for that!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
if it is, so what?

The idea of using material benefits/incentives for sex is as old as the hills.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Dam it, I got to stop falling for that!
I have special glasses for that and I am currently working on a contact lens.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:49 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Looked at from a certain perspective, every job that we've ever held that paid us a wage was prostitution. We traded time and talents for money.

Until we decide to evolve from a materialistic / capitalistic society, there will always be payers and payees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships