Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,032,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I still think that all the cited stats saying that younger marriages are more likely to fail are intrinsically biased...if for no other reason than that hardly the same number and proportion of people who marry younger at 18-20+, etc. can match the number of those who marry later in life. How can one seriously take such different numbers and compare them in an apples-to-apples way?

To put it another way, or more simply: if so many fewer 18-20+ couples marry than 25-30+ couples, how can the two categories legitimately be compared in a meaningful way? How can they be directly proportional or comparable to each other? Hence my distrust for the stats to begin with, which I think are intentionally skewed and biased to downplay the success rate of younger marriages...
Take a class in statistics. The sample size for each group you mention is WELL above what is necessary to compare them in a meaningful way.

How old are you? I'm guessing very young. Revisit this issue in about ten years when you see how much you -- as well as your wants, needs, and dreams -- have changed. Then you'll see why choosing a life partner based on what you think you want at 18-20 is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Take a class in statistics. The sample size for each group you mention is WELL above what is necessary to compare them in a meaningful way.

How old are you? I'm guessing very young. Revisit this issue in about ten years when you see how much you -- as well as your wants, needs, and dreams -- have changed. Then you'll see why choosing a life partner based on what you think you want at 18-20 is a bad idea.
Knight is almost 40. Bad guess.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,032,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Wow. Never would have guessed that. And to think people on this forum occasionally insinuate that I don't act my age.

Everything else in my previous post still applies. Couples who marry in their late teens and early twenties have higher divorce rates for the reasons I mentioned, not because of any statistical fallacy.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,966 times
Quote:
Sorry -- wrong. I'm older than 30 and younger than 33, if that helps clarify the issue...

ETA: I go away for like an hour and come back and find this reply above?? Sorry, but that is simply not true...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 03-19-2012 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Wow. Never would have guessed that. And to think people on this forum occasionally insinuate that I don't act my age.

Everything else in my previous post still applies. Couples who marry in their late teens and early twenties have higher divorce rates for the reasons I mentioned, not because of any statistical fallacy.
Actually, zentropa vastly overestimated my actual age, with all due respect intended...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 03-19-2012 at 07:50 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Like I said earlier in this post...I'm in my early 30's. All I really know is, younger gals ages 18-20+ have continually over time been nicer and more welcoming and gentle to me, than gals 25-30+. So naturally, I like gals that are kinder to me...who wouldn't?? That's the simple fact...and not trying to brag or anything, but I guess it doesn't hurt that I can also easily pass for 8-10 years younger than I actually am either...

Also: you know the other thing they say about statistics...how does it go? I think it goes something like "There are lies, d*mn lies, and statistics..." I for one will never buy the modern stats as legitimate, when previous centuries repeatedly and over and over said the exact opposite...nothing but good old-fashioned (pun intended) social engineering, IMO...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 03-19-2012 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Adds

Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If that's the case can you provide a link? I don't know what the rates are between age brackets. Even if there is a difference, why would it matter?
Sorry, I don't have specific stats to cite, as such...but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that in regions like D.C., New England, and NY / NJ / etc., there are going to be way, *way* more marriages at 25-30+ than at 18-20 or thereabouts...just simple common sense and economics. In the South or something like that, ppl may well marry younger, but that is simply not the same as comparing 18-20 somethings who marry in Alabama, with say people the same age who marry in New York...simply not an apples to apples comparison...

Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Early marriage results in a high risk of divorce. Generally money problems combined with lifestyle changes that cause the couple to grow apart.

Late is almost as bad.

Women hate to settle and will never really be happy if they think they had to, no matter how decent the guy is. His money and income then makes divorce an appealing option.

If you can get educationally established, onto the first rungs of the economic ladder and then grow together as a married couple, this is the best.

Many single women do not do much about either career or saving and expect a man to come along and introduce this to their life. Eventually, to get this, the feel the need to settle.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think that later marriages, later than mid-30s, have a better chance of success because people have finished their schooling, started their careers and gotten their wild streak out of their systems.
Actually, by then the risk has gone up again. Not as high as for 18 or 19 year old but the real risk is actually far greater for men. Lose your house and you have far less time to recoup.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting then that these older unmarried couples start their families out of wedlock? Fertility for women starts a steep decline at mid-thirties.
No, not at all, but I think that if the statistics show that over mid-30s couples have higher marriage success rates, there are reasons they do and no children might be one of the reasons, but also they're done with the clubs and parties.

I would think over mid-30's with children involved (his and/or hers) would have a lower success rate --- so definitely no, having children out of wedlock would not help the chances.

If the goal is to have a family, then waiting until after mid 30s to marry wouldn't be smart, it would be better to risk the possibly higher divorce rates but of course not all who marry younger divorce, too many other factors than age at play.

Last edited by malamute; 03-19-2012 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships