Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 AM

41 posts, read 63,983 times

Advertisements

I posted questions before about what to do with my bf's house and dog.

The dog chewed on the walls and window blinds when I was gone for 15 hours everyday - so he can't be kept inside;
I chained him in the backyard, he refused to eat and kept barking - my neighbors got mad at me;
I gave him freedom in the backyard, he dug holes on the fence and started to run on the street - people knocked on my door and said they were going to call animal control people.

The dog has a habit of barking at night (the whole night), so after not getting sleep at all for couple of days, I finally got sick yesterday. I had been telling my bf that I will take the dog to a shelter for adoption, he never agreed. After hearing that I was sick, my overseas boyfriend said "you always use sickness as an excuse". " I need you to take care of my dog, stop talking about your feelings and emotions."

So I called the animal clinic, told them my situation and asked them what to do - they said it's best if I can find the dog a new home. I was trying to get in touch with my bf the whole time, he avoided any contact with me.

With no other options, I took the dog to a shelter, donated $50, and left. (they assured me he'll be adopted, cuz he's kinda good looking and still young).

So this is my boyfriend's reaction when he heard the dog was gone:

"I left the country trusting with you my dog. Now my dog is gone.You have acted against me. Repercussions are forthcoming"

I told him the dog kept me from sleeping at night, and now I'm sick and can't go to work, he said "Sick" is always the word you use when you justify any action you take, no matter what action you perform.You have access to medical care and can rest. You're not in a cage or dying.What's the matter?"

I broke up with him now. I will move out from his house ASAP, hopefully next week. Just wondering how many cheap people like him are out there in the world? I don't think there are many

Old 10-29-2010, 08:16 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
If you couldn't handle the dog you shouldn't have accepted the living arrangements. There's no such thing as a free lunch, ya know.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:20 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,646,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller1985 View Post
I posted questions before about what to do with my bf's house and dog.

The dog chewed on the walls and window blinds when I was gone for 15 hours everyday - so he can't be kept inside;
I chained him in the backyard, he refused to eat and kept barking - my neighbors got mad at me;
I gave him freedom in the backyard, he dug holes on the fence and started to run on the street - people knocked on my door and said they were going to call animal control people.

The dog has a habit of barking at night (the whole night), so after not getting sleep at all for couple of days, I finally got sick yesterday. I had been telling my bf that I will take the dog to a shelter for adoption, he never agreed. After hearing that I was sick, my overseas boyfriend said "you always use sickness as an excuse". " I need you to take care of my dog, stop talking about your feelings and emotions."

So I called the animal clinic, told them my situation and asked them what to do - they said it's best if I can find the dog a new home. I was trying to get in touch with my bf the whole time, he avoided any contact with me.

With no other options, I took the dog to a shelter, donated $50, and left. (they assured me he'll be adopted, cuz he's kinda good looking and still young).

So this is my boyfriend's reaction when he heard the dog was gone:

"I left the country trusting with you my dog. Now my dog is gone.You have acted against me. Repercussions are forthcoming"

I told him the dog kept me from sleeping at night, and now I'm sick and can't go to work, he said "Sick" is always the word you use when you justify any action you take, no matter what action you perform.You have access to medical care and can rest. You're not in a cage or dying.What's the matter?"

I broke up with him now. I will move out from his house ASAP, hopefully next week. Just wondering how many cheap people like him are out there in the world? I don't think there are many
Oh where to begin...
First off, he should have had the dog to obedience training and actually, I take that back. If he's so busy with travelling in and out of the country, why did he get a dog in the first place? Shame on him. Now secondly yes, if he insisted on having a dog, he should have provided proper training.

The way you describe it, if that dog belonged to a neighbor of mine and it kept doing all the things you said, I would have certainly had words with the neighbor or bypassed them and called animal control.

It was not your responsibility to care for the dog unless you agreed to do so and if you did, then shame on you for accepting this responsibility knowing that the dog is basically out of control.

Now, as far as what you did with the dog and taking it to a shelter. He has every reason to be mad at you. You can't take someone elses property and drop it off at the shelter to be adopted out. That's just cool but ... but.. but.. I get what you are saying. You feel like you had no choice.

This is a bad situation all the way around, I'd get yourself moved out pronto and not look back. Don't be surprised when he hits you with some kind of lawsuit claiming you stole his dog, etc etc..

I do feel for you though, don't want you to think I'm giving you a hard time.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:21 AM

175 posts, read 750,453 times
yeah, you can't just get rid of someones pet without their consent and expect them to be ok with it. You could have crated the dog indoors, that only takes a few days for them to get use to, a bark collar is another option. Other than leaving the dog to his own devices it doesn't sound like you tried anything to actually fix the behavior.

How did your bf keep the dog? in the house? on a chain? in the backyard? Why didn't you let him in at night while you where home? Of course he barked all night if he is used to being a house dog, he was telling you to let him back in the house.

How many days has your bf been gone before you got rid of the dog? By your description it sounds like around a week or 2-which is not giving the dog a chance to adjust to the situation.

Maybe people feel different about animals in your family but to some people they can be treated better than family. Yeah I would try to get that dog back and get it boarded somewhere or take it to his family or something.

Why are you calling your bf cheap also?

Seriously some people could relate that to needing you to watch their baby for a week and the baby cried all night so you gave him up for adoption. Pets are not taken lightly!

Last edited by lmabernathy; 10-29-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 08:29 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller1985 View Post
I had been telling my bf that I will take the dog to a shelter for adoption, he never agreed. After hearing that I was sick, my overseas boyfriend said "you always use sickness as an excuse". " I need you to take care of my dog, stop talking about your feelings and emotions."
I would truly like to hear the other side of this sordid tale.

Of course he's not going to agree for you to take his dog to the shelter. You agreed to take care of the dog in exchange for living in the house. As such, it was up to you to do more than throw your hands up and give the dog away. Somehow, I find it extremely hard to believe that you exhausted all other options.

Shame on you.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
yeah, you can't just get rid of someones pet without their consent and expect them to be ok with it. You could have crated the dog indoors, that only takes a few days for them to get use to, a bark collar is another option. Other than leaving the dog to his own devices it doesn't sound like you tried anything to actually fix the behavior.

How did your bf keep the dog? in the house? on a chain? in the backyard? Why didn't you let him in at night while you where home? Of course he barked all night if he is used to being a house dog, he was telling you to let him back in the house.

How many days has your bf been gone before you got rid of the dog? By your description it sounds like around a week or 2-which is not giving the dog a chance to adjust to the situation.

Maybe people feel different about animals in your family but to some people they can be treated better than family. Yeah I would try to get that dog back and get it boarded somewhere or take it to his family or something.

Why are you calling your bf cheap also?

Seriously some people could relate that to needing you to watch their baby for a week and the baby cried all night so you gave him up for adoption. Pets are not taken lightly!

No one in his family wanted the dog, i called his friends too and got the same answer. I told him everyday that if he can't find anyone to take care of that dog, I'm not going to do it forever either. He got the dog 2 months before he left the country - he wasn't even emotionally attached to the dog because he was thinking about giving it for adoption too for a while!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I would truly like to hear the other side of this sordid tale.

Of course he's not going to agree for you to take his dog to the shelter. You agreed to take care of the dog in exchange for living in the house. As such, it was up to you to do more than throw your hands up and give the dog away. Somehow, I find it extremely hard to believe that you exhausted all other options.

Shame on you.
I didn't stay in his house very often before he left, so I really didn't know the dog was so hard to handle. He was staying at home everyday for several months before he left the country, so yes the dog was okay at that time.

But I already told him -every day for the past week - that I no longer want to live here, I wanted to move out and not deal with all these. He insisted me living here, I really have no gain by living here --it's too far from work, I'm just not saving money at all.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
If you couldn't handle the dog you shouldn't have accepted the living arrangements. There's no such thing as a free lunch, ya know.
when i accepted in the beginning I didn't know the situation was going to be this bad..

it was a stray dog he found on the street just 2 months ago - I didn't know the dog very well.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:46 AM

175 posts, read 750,453 times
you said in your other post the dog was used to being crated, but you felt bad doing it. You also stated you hated the dog. Dogs are den animals they feel comfortable in small dark places!

The dog could have been put in the bathroom, you could have left him on a chain with a bark collar until you got home and brought him in at night.

Did you take the dog to a shelter? Was there any chance of the dog being put down???

How long has your bf been gone? The other post said it was for a year but the thread was started on OCt 24th...did you really get rid of that dog in 5 days?

You could have post these questions in the pet section and asked them what to do?

What you described is not bad, it is normal for a dog going through seperation anxiety, if the dog tried to maul you or someone else that is one thing but barking and chewing-what do you think dogs do?

Last edited by lmabernathy; 10-29-2010 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,626,881 times
Just make the best of a bad situation - leave and don't look back. Sounds like your friend might have some issues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships