Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,652,355 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

So, my son left for college about a month ago, my daughter just moved out and people keep asking me if I'm suffering from "empty nest syndrome" yet. They keep asking me if I'm "ok", etc.. Driving me nuts! LOL

Do a lot of parents really suffer with this? I'm having a great time enjoying the kids being out of the house! I'm curious why parents suffer from this and how many actually don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,558,694 times
I went through it for a little while, but it wasn't too bad. I just felt I had too much free time. I got past it.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
You know, I think it's more pronounced with parents who have only one child. My wife's best friend just shipped her only child to college a few weeks ago, and she's a total wreck.

I think if you have more than one child, you are typically so exhausted by the time the last one leaves that you're ready for a break. Of course, this assumes that you and your wife have managed to keep your relationship healthy.

As for my wife and me, we have this mental countdown going: Seven more years, seven more years. Don't get me wrong. We love our kids. But there are so many things we want to do with our lives that are just impossible while they are occupying all our time and energy.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,018,373 times
I sure wish I'd have a chance to find out if I'd have it but my 25 y/o son still lives with me. He's about to get his own place soon, supposedly. He has been away for months at a time and I had no remorse. LOL I love my kids but I could just roll around naked in my independence, privacy and solitude.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:56 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,332,108 times
We are parents of an only child and I will be happy for my son to find his own independence when he leaves home one day (he will be 16 in Nov). Much of our 20's and 30's have been spent focusing on raising a child. I look forward to hubby and I enjoying our time together as "empty nesters".

With that being said.......I will be dropping my son off at college with plane tickets in hand on our way to a TROPICAL ISLAND, SUN, SAND and LOTS OF FRUITY DRINKS!!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Hi Everyone!

So, my son left for college about a month ago, my daughter just moved out and people keep asking me if I'm suffering from "empty nest syndrome" yet. They keep asking me if I'm "ok", etc.. Driving me nuts! LOL

Do a lot of parents really suffer with this? I'm having a great time enjoying the kids being out of the house! I'm curious why parents suffer from this and how many actually don't.
Well, consider yourself lucky that you aren't suffering! When my youngest son left for college in NYC last fall I cried for about 3 weeks every time I thought of him - it was awful - I missed that kid SOOOOOO much!!! Of course, it was nice to finally be able to walk thru the house naked if I wanted to, lol, among other things, but it did take a while to stop being so sad that that part of my life was over.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,463,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Hi Everyone!

Empty nest syndrone? What's that?

We have one son and when he became an adult and moved out we missed him for about ten minutes...LOL We raised him for 18 years and we figured it's time for US!

Hubby and I enjoy our lives now. The dog is the only child we have living at home these days. Of course we love it when our son comes to visit and hang out with us or has a family dinner with us. (We see him at least once a week.)

Old 09-08-2009, 12:42 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
1 in 3 of people under 35 live with mom and dad.
when we stop doing this we feel something is wrong.
get a hobby, get a cat, live have fun.
if you love something let it go.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,652,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
We are parents of an only child and I will be happy for my son to find his own independence when he leaves home one day (he will be 16 in Nov). Much of our 20's and 30's have been spent focusing on raising a child. I look forward to hubby and I enjoying our time together as "empty nesters".

With that being said.......I will be dropping my son off at college with plane tickets in hand on our way to a TROPICAL ISLAND, SUN, SAND and LOTS OF FRUITY DRINKS!!
lol WOOHOOO!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:42 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,169,955 times
You will never stop being a mommy. No matter what anyone tells you. Your child will always be YOUR baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships