Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times

Advertisements

Is this such a bad thing you think? I know that in todays modern age most parents who don't become super parents are looked down upon. But is this doing marriages a healthy turn you think? Most of my friends for example follow this same model. Both parents work of course, but every waking moment outside of work seems devoted to their children. One day it's girl scouts, the next it's soccer,the next it's softball, and the next it's taking your kids out on playdates with other parents. Along with the more modern ideal of helicopter parenting to top it off, now it seems none of them have any time left for each other. And in reality most of them seem more than glorified roommates now. I never believed in that....i married my husband first and didn't marry my children lol. This among other things was always an endless bit of contention with friends and some family. Is anyone else out there like this though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,644 times
"The greatest gift a man can give to his children is to love their mother." And vice versa.

Absolutely YES, your relationship with your spouse should come first. That doesn't mean you don't love them too or that you would abandon them in favor of your spouse. It just means that maintaining the health of your marriage comes first.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM

851 posts, read 3,626,365 times
Your marriage is the foundation of your family; your children are just members of the family.

The more you baby your children, the more of brats they would become. Your life should center around your foundation not just one or two members of the family who may not even be here after a few years.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,962 times
It's hard not to get caught up in the lives of your children because they are so demanding. I only have one and between the endless baskeball practices, games, taxi cabbing him to here and there...it gets exhausting. My husband and I do get into a "rut" every now and then but the thing I love about our relationship is that we can tell each other "hey, we are in a rut....let's plan some together time".

I believe it's the one reason why we have raised such a grounded, well behaved son. We are united in punishment and praise. Yes, he has his quirks and teenage brain farts from time to time but at the end of the day, he knows he has two parents who love each other and would walk over hell hot coals for him. Not only do we have his back but mom and dad have each others back.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Paganmama80 is right to feel like she does, her children will not be spoiled like so many others out there who feel that they are entitled to lifes luxuries just because they were born..I feel the same, and my children love me dearly, and have become very responsible adults who have earned what they have...Seeing the love and devotion two parents have for each other is the greatest gift that any child can ever receive from their parents.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
It's hard not to get caught up in the lives of your children because they are so demanding. I only have one and between the endless baskeball practices, games, taxi cabbing him to here and there...it gets exhausting. My husband and I do get into a "rut" every now and then but the thing I love about our relationship is that we can tell each other "hey, we are in a rut....let's plan some together time".

I believe it's the one reason why we have raised such a grounded, well behaved son. We are united in punishment and praise. Yes, he has his quirks and teenage brain farts from time to time but at the end of the day, he knows he has two parents who love each other and would walk over hell hot coals for him. Not only do we have his back but mom and dad have each others back.

Oh my now that they know you're married the guys on cd will be very let down

Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Oh my now that they know you're married the guys on cd will be very let down
PM, it's well documented on here that I'm married.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
PM, it's well documented on here that I'm married.
It seems i missed the memo.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:17 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Is this such a bad thing you think? I know that in todays modern age most parents who don't become super parents are looked down upon. But is this doing marriages a healthy turn you think? Most of my friends for example follow this same model. Both parents work of course, but every waking moment outside of work seems devoted to their children. One day it's girl scouts, the next it's soccer,the next it's softball, and the next it's taking your kids out on playdates with other parents. Along with the more modern ideal of helicopter parenting to top it off, now it seems none of them have any time left for each other. And in reality most of them seem more than glorified roommates now. I never believed in that....i married my husband first and didn't marry my children lol. This among other things was always an endless bit of contention with friends and some family. Is anyone else out there like this though?
I'm gonna keep it short, just in case it gets transfered to the nazi forum. There is a balance between the two. My husband and I enjoy our kids so much, we spend a lot of time with them and travel all over extensively with them. We are a very affectionate family, with the kids and each other, the kids know that mom and dad "make love" in private. I think it is healthy for kids to see happy parents, that are truly in love with each other, we are always kissing and huggin and in turn our kids are very affectionate. So like I said there is a balance, we do spend most of our time with them, but we never forget the "alone time" with each other.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:31 PM

380 posts, read 795,600 times
I think marriage should always come before kids. Just as the relationship comes before the pregnancy. My parents ALWAYS chose each other over their kids and it worked out for them. Makes sense since without the relationship we wouldn't even exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships