Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times

Advertisements

One of my daughters lives in Australia, the other in New Zealand. I asked them what they wanted for xmas, money or a gift up to $200. One took the money, the other a gift.

I sent my Mum and siblings photos in frames that I had taken last year, and my niece and nephews got gifts. The big box of presents arrived 2 weeks before xmas.

Not one of them sent me anything, which is fine, I don't expect presents, but not even a card. No xmas card, no thank you card from anyone.

My SO is furious at what he calls blatant disrespect on behalf of my family.

Is he right to be angry?

Would any of you expect more than an email saying thank you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
I'm not one to expect gifts from others and I'm not sure where you are, but given that your family is in two different countries, they could have at least sent you a card. I mean you sent them $200 as a gift or in gifts. That was very generous of you and all you got in return was an email?

If you sent that type of gift to me, I'd send you a card either with money or something that you both would like.

If I was broke or not, I would at least send you a card with heartfelt thanks.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Yeah, I believe they should send you at least a real card.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
My SO is furious at what he calls blatant disrespect on behalf of my family.

Is he right to be angry?

I generally give gifts to my family without expectation of getting anything in return, but having the gift not even be acknowledged would tick me off too.

BTW, that would be the last time I would be sending them gifts.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, I believe they should send you at least a real card.
Which reminds me. I have to send you a card to thank you for the 5 million you sent me.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Which reminds me. I have to send you a card to thank you for the 5 million you sent me.
Ah, you're still quite short of 5 million cookies.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:01 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
One of my brother's family is the same way. When their boys were real little my SIL always made sure she sent a Thank You and have them send one too. Now, they don't even acknowledge they've even received the gifts I have to ship. It ticks me off to no end, she's not working and not actively looking so she has the time to at least let me know they got the gift - but I've gotten used to it and the boys are getting older so that'll be the end of gift giving soon.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I would also be upset because that behavior shows a certain amount of disrespect. I am fortunate because my family members are very close even though we live miles apart. I think that you are referring to family members who lives many thousands apart and that is often difficult. Adios

Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I think your SO has the right to be upset as well as yourself. My SIL did this to me two years in a row. My husband finally called his mother to find out if sis got the gifts. A week into the new year we got a phone call (we sent the gifts on Dec. 3rd) and I know the only reason my SIL called was because her mother said something to her. That was the last year I sent presents to my SIL with my husband's blessing.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Just don't get them anything next xmas. You can't force goodwill. I'd be upset that they didn't thank me too, but whatever... I wouldn't let it get to me. You can't expect anything nowadays. An email or phone call would actually be okay with me, but I still would not send them any gifts because they did not put forth the effort so why should I?

I deleted everyone from my contacts who didn't reciprocate my Happy New Year message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships