Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Congrats JJ! You are going to run out of hancuffs with so many offenders around here ya know!
I want these ones;

Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I want these ones;

I want these!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
That's the thing; proper grammar sometimes sounds awkward. In conversational speech, my grammar is very relaxed. If I am writing for an assignment or in a job interview, I get it together.

I have a friend who is a highschool English teacher. This REALLY annoys me. She will say "You can go with my boyfriend and I.". For some reason, I guess some people think that sounds proper, but it's not. ESPECIALLY for an English teacher???

The thing I struggle with is the comma. I go crazy with them. I am so glad that's not something to worry about in spoken English!
The most common one I see is lose and loose.

As in "He will loose the game or he is a looser."

"These pants are lose on me"

Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post

Post by Julia? Thursday?

The "making" in "making so much noise" is a gerund, a verb used like a noun. You would say, "I don't like your dog" or, "I don't like your shirt," right? So it's, "I don't like your making so much noise."
Yes, exactly.

Post by Julia? Thursday?

Quote:
Kind of. It's a toughie, I know, and I differentiate purely by instinct. If you precede it with a comma, it's which, but you have to know your commas. My mom uses way too many.
I'm a comma-abuser, as I admitted in a previous post. But, yes, it's instinctual, because I can't seem to come up with an example of the specific incorrect usage I'm referring to. When "which" is used at the start of a sentence and is followed by a complete sentence, is kind of what I mean. I guess? "Which it didn't have to be painted anyway."

There's also another common misuse that I tried to explain to my college roommate, once. Using "which" when you mean "that", and vice versa.

"Will you get the lawnmower, which is in the garage?"

"which is in the garage" specifies where the one lawnmower is located.

"Will you get the lawnmower that is in the garage?"

"that is in the garage" implies that there is more than one lawnmower, one of which is in the garage.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What, do I have something in my teeth?

Don't worry, it's still me. I wrecked Neemy and Thursday's post somehow, though.
You wrecked Neemy and Thursday???

Now I gotta get my toolbox and fix them both.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Oh NO!! Julia is the fuzz now! Um, is there some charitible organization I can make a contribution to in order to maintain protection?

Congrats JJ! You are going to run out of hancuffs with so many offenders around here ya know!
LOL seeniorita.

Yeah JJ, where do we send the protection checks? Does it matter if it comes from someone elses account?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
This is too funny because it's wrong!

I like literacy, but I'm not a snob and I like colloquial language. I'm not about to say "it is I"!
It's wrong, and the person constantly making this mistake is teaching highschool kids grammar!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
This is too funny because it's wrong!

I like literacy, but I'm not a snob and I like colloquial language. I'm not about to say "it is I"!
I thought every time you entered the room you would say "It is I, Sierra!!!"

Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
No kidding. I take credit for the first quote in this post the rest belong to someone else. Relationship Chat Thread # 14
Okay, so the quote about "truthfully" being misused like I said "hopefully" is, is yours?

I agree, by the way. There are a few other words like that, as well. My professor singled out "hopefully", so it's the one that is etched in my brain.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,620 times
It really is scary thinking of going out into the dating pool. I believe my only hope is to nod in response to any questions. Perhaps a gesture or two thrown in. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships