Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:13 PM

115 posts, read 355,290 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering whether I should make my intentions more clear when asking a girl out, than just asking them if they want to do such and such with me - because I can't quite gauge a girls' interest level in me unless being direct.

Recently I asked 'out' a girl who I work with, and had gotten to know pretty well one day, if she would like to go roller-skating with me friday - she agreed, but I can't tell if she acquiesced just to be polite, or knowing that I work with her, wants to be friends, etc. I just don't feel comfortable enough to ask a girl out on a date who I know very little about, so I usually settle for some activity or place to meet and leave my choice of words limited to just that - and in doing so maybe give the girls the wrong idea.

The reason I ask is because a couple months back I met a girl through a charity event and she agreed to get coffee with me (her decision, as I just asked if she had any 'free time' on that day), but during the course of the conversation - which I thought went well - she mentioned how she has a boyfriend, and then said she would like to meet up again. Are my intentions not clear enough here? Why would a girl with a boyfriend agree to get coffee with a stranger male?

I'm still new to asking girls out so I haven't experienced any flat-out rejections from which to learn, so this makes me unsure of how they think about me.

Girls, would you always agree to go out with a guy that you barely know, if he was nice?

Last edited by truth to valid; 05-02-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 06:19 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times
"May I take you to dinner?" always works for me. Even if I'm not interested, I won't be offended by the question.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth to valid View Post
Are my intentions not clear enough here? Why would a girl with a boyfriend agree to get coffee with a stranger male?
People have friends of the other gender. If you weren't flirting with her at all, why shouldn't she assume it's platonic?

If a girl you met asked you to go do something - but gave absolutely no indication of being at all interested in you sexually or romantically, would you automatically assume she was trying to get in your pants? No, right? She didn't either.

tl;dr yes, you do

P.S. upfront does not, however, neccesarily mean unsubtle!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
People have friends of the other gender. If you weren't flirting with her at all, why shouldn't she assume it's platonic?

If a girl you met asked you to go do something - but gave absolutely no indication of being at all interested in you sexually or romantically, would you automatically assume she was trying to get in your pants? No, right? She didn't either.

tl;dr yes, you do

P.S. upfront does not, however, neccesarily mean unsubtle!

Well, in a reverse of roles, if a girl asked me if I wanted to go roller-skating with her on a friday night, I would assume she's interested in me romantically - why is that hard to see???

Old 05-02-2011, 06:55 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth to valid View Post
Well, in a reverse of roles, if a girl asked me if I wanted to go roller-skating with her on a friday night, I would assume she's interested in me romantically - why is that hard to see???
.........because it's simply not the case a lot of the time. People DO ask people of the opposite gender to do stuff because they want to hang out/be friends.

Sometimes a picnic is just a picnic.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,515 times
As a girl, I would appreciate it a lot if guys were more upfront and direct about their intentions. Many times I've gotten asked out so casually that I'm confused as to whether it's just a polite, friendly invite, or more of a romantic one. That puts both of us in an uncomfortable situation later on.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:02 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
"May I take you to dinner?" always works for me. Even if I'm not interested, I won't be offended by the question.
I like that one. Dinner always implies romantic interest. Weekday afternoons= more of a friends vibe.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
As a girl, I would appreciate it a lot if guys were more upfront and direct about their intentions. Many times I've gotten asked out so casually that I'm confused as to whether it's just a polite, friendly invite, or more of a romantic one. That puts both of us in an uncomfortable situation later on.
How about: "Would you like to make out?"

Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 PM

Oh well, better friends than not, right...at least the possibility for progression is there if the interest is (or becomes) mutual. In fact, I think its even better if she assumes friendship...i could use more friends anyway

Old 05-02-2011, 07:09 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
How about: "Would you like to make out?"
I tried that a few times.

the 1 time it worked it wasn't all that great. She loved it, but I have good mouth hygiene, then I walked away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships