Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,501 times

Advertisements

I felt especially brave today so I made eye contact with every girl that I've come across. I even made some eye contact with guys (by accident, I was looking at something behind them).

All the girls ignored my eye contact. They acted as if they didn't even see me. They weren't annoyed but they were just indifferent.

The guys either smiled at me (made me feel good) or seemed extremely annoyed (mildly amusing).

I think making eye contact is a great way to flirt but it hasn't been too effective. But, it doesn't take a lot of courage or time unlike physicall approaching a stranger.

Should I smile while making eye contact? Actually, I'll try that see if the women are still indifferent.

I'm a 20 year old college student in Vancouver (it's a supposedly very unfriendly place). So my experiences might be due to my environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
So you made eye contact but didn't smile? They probably thought you were creepy. You need to smile if you want any kind of positive response.

I have noticed that if I make eye contact with someone and smile, I almost always get a "hello" as a response and a lot of the times engage in a little small talk. When someone engages you like that, it's hard to ignore it.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Smiling and eye contact is very very important and I would keep doing it. I find eye contact an amazing tool

Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times
Yeah with practice it gets better to the point where it comes naturally. I used to be extremely shy with guys and couldn't even glance at them, let alone hold eye contact, but now I can at least hold it for a few seconds until one or the other looks away. I don't smile because I don't know what their reason for staring is- for all I know maybe I look funny or something.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
There's a fine line between making casual eye contact and staring at someone like a serial killer. Your appearance will go a long way too...if you look like an underwear model odds are you'll get the reaction you were hoping for, if you look like Charles Manson a few people probably altered their route home that afternoon.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Interesting. When I smile at people or they smile to me with a hello response, I tend to smile back and nod my head a little (almost like "yes"). My eyes tend to look up as well (maybe because I'm short too).

Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Coolhand68....I gotta admit I laughed!! To the OP, definately smile with the eye contact, the results can be fabulous.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I felt especially brave today so I made eye contact with every girl that I've come across. I even made some eye contact with guys (by accident, I was looking at something behind them).

All the girls ignored my eye contact. They acted as if they didn't even see me. They weren't annoyed but they were just indifferent.

The guys either smiled at me (made me feel good) or seemed extremely annoyed (mildly amusing).

I think making eye contact is a great way to flirt but it hasn't been too effective. But, it doesn't take a lot of courage or time unlike physicall approaching a stranger.

Should I smile while making eye contact? Actually, I'll try that see if the women are still indifferent.

I'm a 20 year old college student in Vancouver (it's a supposedly very unfriendly place). So my experiences might be due to my environment.
Maybe you should just find a girl you really like and make an eye contact with her, instead off staring at every girl like she is an experiment. That way it would be a lot more natural.

And, oh yeah, a smile wouldn't hurt either.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 PM

369 posts, read 617,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post

The thing is to let the EYES smile.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Yeah, eye contact is important. I'm one of those people who is a sort of Jekyll and Hyde. One day i'll look amazing and guys are drooling from their cars, other women talk to me in the street for no reason, guys interrupt me and my friends for trivial reasons. Other times, I'll turn to look at people and if it's a guy who is just looking to see what I look like, he'll turn his eyes away, or when i'm waiting for the bus, guys in cars will turn away and stare the other way as if I was going to bite them, women will think I'm too uncool to be their friend and will look down. It really does depend on what you look like if people look you in the eye or not.

The people who know me treat me nicely, but because they already know i'm not arrogant or anything. I've noticed that people who have good sex lives have more expressive eyes that seem to "smile".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships