Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,746,293 times

Advertisements

I know this girl that works near me. I guess you could say we are neighbors. I have seen her a handful of times in the last couple months. Anyway, I have been infatuated since the first time I saw her. I make small talk with other neighbors, but for her I act sort of weird due to the crush, so I have decided I better just not try to talk to her or pay attention to her unless it's very rude not to.

Anyway, I have been thinking is my infatuation, crush or thinking about her a lot real? On one hand I don't really know her. I get to observe her personality from time to time, but that's it. And on the other hand, I am not like this with other people. I can't think of a time in the last several years that I have just been really into someone, bases on very casual contact with them. So is this all fantasy or in my head or is it possible to sense a connection without really knowing someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I know this girl that works near me. I guess you could say we are neighbors. I have seen her a handful of times in the last couple months. Anyway, I have been infatuated since the first time I saw her. I make small talk with other neighbors, but for her I act sort of weird due to the crush, so I have decided I better just not try to talk to her or pay attention to her unless it's very rude not to.

Anyway, I have been thinking is my infatuation, crush or thinking about her a lot real? On one hand I don't really know her. I get to observe her personality from time to time, but that's it. And on the other hand, I am not like this with other people. I can't think of a time in the last several years that I have just been really into someone, bases on very casual contact with them. So is this all fantasy or in my head or is it possible to sense a connection without really knowing someone?
To make it short, yes--Infatuation is real and yes you can sense a connection without really knowing someone.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post

That "connection" you are sensing is called CHEMISTRY, and yes, it is very real.

The ball is in your court, why not actually get to know her now that you know you are attracted to her?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,657 times
It's real for what it is. You're not hallucinating, you do feel a connection with her. But only time and action will define it. I'm sensing that you're young, and only encourage you to take a shot. You're nervous about talking to her, but think of a specific subject, something that may be of mutual interest, and something that you know a lot about; focusing outside of yourself and the attraction as well, will allow you to relax. If you click, one thing should lead to another and you're saying something like, "Oh, you like Thai food, so do I... or oh, I wanted to check out that comedy club too, or wherever the conversation leads.

Don't pass on it, 'cause it might lead you to some happiness. You don't want to look back on this and kick yourself for being too afraid of rejection to act. This happens to all of us, by the way, no matter how we've tried to seize the day, but you can minimize it. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:15 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
You sound sprung...

Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That "connection" you are sensing is called CHEMISTRY, and yes, it is very real.

The ball is in your court, why not actually get to know her now that you know you are attracted to her?
I decided to not even attempt to date anyone for a while. I just have other priorities. I would like to get to know her a little, just as much as my other neighbors, but I can't seem to act normal around her, so I feel that it's better to ignore it for now, at least till my other priorities are out of the way. Another thing is it's harder to let it be know that I am interested in seeing someone that I can't avoid in the future. I can't think, well it doesn't matter if it's not mutual, it's not like I will ever see her again. On the other hand, that gives me the opportunity not to have to act now, because I will see her again and likely for a few years.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Yes, the infatuation is real. The good thing is that you recognized it as just that, infatuation. Nothing wrong with feeling the way you do, it's normal.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM

47 posts, read 104,942 times
A bit frustrating that on City-data forums we have no way of knowing the age or sex of the poster, unless it is mentioned in the content by poster. Having said that, I assume you are a teenager?

Infatuation is caused by initial attraction a lot of it is stemmed by fantasies that ensues. The initial attraction is very real but the fantasies are just that and have little to do with reality. I am personally very weary of women who are infatuated with me and they don't really know much about me. Often those relationships end up in breakup as the infatuation wears out and reality sets in. If you are a teenage, go ahead and enjoy the feeling and even the relationship that may come out of it..these are meant to be learning experiences that will make us matured.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 PM

629 posts, read 1,234,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecrack View Post
A bit frustrating that on City-data forums we have no way of knowing the age or sex of the poster, unless it is mentioned in the content by poster. Having said that, I assume you are a teenager?

Infatuation is caused by initial attraction a lot of it is stemmed by fantasies that ensues. The initial attraction is very real but the fantasies are just that and have little to do with reality. I am personally very weary of women who are infatuated with me and they don't really know much about me. Often those relationships end up in breakup as the infatuation wears out and reality sets in. If you are a teenage, go ahead and enjoy the feeling and even the relationship that may come out of it..these are meant to be learning experiences that will make us matured.
^This
Its good that you're atleast aware of it. Infatuation can be very addictive and like any addiction it can make you act in ways you never would have otherwise (either good or bad. Mostly bad). If you feel you want to wait until the feeling passes so you can act normal around her that's your decision. Some people who date based off infatuation luck out and find someone worth keeping. The rest "wake up" sooner or later and the relationship ends once the bubble pops.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM

lol..I'm not a teenager. I've had a few LTRs and have dated several other women short term. Early infatuation is not at all normal for me. I'm usually more indifferent when I first meet someone, then like them more after becoming acquainted. I don't think the teenage like infatuation is a bad thing in of itself, as long as it's understood. It means there is more chemistry than usual. Reality is important and I'm just wondering what part is reality. I'm sure I sensed something in her personality too that attracted me, so at least that is real. I'm aware that I have no idea what day to day life would be like dating her though. Anyway, I've been putting these thoughts on the back burner for now. I don't think dating someone right now would go well. But from my observation she seems to be a good person. She's nice and friendly to everyone and she works hard. By the time, if ever, anything happens, I'll have more to go off of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships