Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:52 PM

212 posts, read 859,275 times

Advertisements

a verbal communication of not wanting to see them again? after x number of dates? after x number of weeks? months?

i know after the first date you might just never hear from the guy again if he is not interested in you, or the girl may just never return a call. but after how long a period of time would you have to communicate an ending to the relationship (or dating, however you categorize it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 05:00 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,990,475 times
I don't know that there is a list of answers. I fall back to the "golden rule" idea ... treat others the way you'd like to be treated.

I'd say after one date, should he call you for another date, you should tell him where you stand. i.e. "I had a nice time the other night and I'd like to be friends, but I don't think we have a great deal in common." or "I enjoyed having dinner with you. It was nice to get to know you but I think we are very different people, I just don't think we have much in common." ..... Is that so hard?

Old 10-18-2009, 05:01 PM

612 posts, read 1,844,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbr View Post
a verbal communication of not wanting to see them again? after x number of dates? after x number of weeks? months?

i know after the first date you might just never hear from the guy again if he is not interested in you, or the girl may just never return a call. but after how long a period of time would you have to communicate an ending to the relationship (or dating, however you categorize it).
Well, the last gal I went out with was a real good friend of mine in high school. I saw her again at her job (a hostess) and I got her number and went on a date.... Date went pretty good and planned for date two... Date day came, she cancelled.... Next day she texted me saying that we should just be friends.... Never heard from her since... I thought I had a chance....

Anyway, that is the only time I've been "broken-up" with. My view is, I'll give it about three dates to see if something is really there or if it's worth taking the relationship further.... If not, then I'll break it off over a cup of coffee... I hate the idea of breaking up in a non-face to face manner.

Anyway, the last break-up left me pretty bummed and now this girl from work won't return my texts but talks to me at work is got me running a 1,000 mph... I've had a recent bad luck with girls so hopefully something will happen eventually *fingers crossed*

Old 10-18-2009, 06:16 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,205,220 times
Given the length of time, I'd be satisfied with that then being completely blown off without word. At least you aren't in wonderment, have closure and can move on.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:01 PM

295 posts, read 838,439 times
Whenever you're no longer invested in the relationship, you owe the person the verbal closure. Whether its 2 dates or 2 years, if you no longer want to see that person, just say so.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:18 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,014,164 times
Well, I think the decent, least cowardly thing to do is to let anyone know - no matter how long you've seen them - that you are no longer interested. How hard is that??

Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 AM

911 posts, read 2,376,663 times
my x left me after 7 months and didnt even have the decency to break up with me.
she just vanished and that was it

Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,650,841 times
For me and when I was single of course, when I met someone if there wasn't something there from the beginning a spark or something; they were done. I know myself well enough to know if I like someone or not within a few minutes of meeting them so I would never even bother to waste time on anything further. Not everyone is that quick to decide, for those that need a little more time I'd say you should try three dates, different venues where you can really talk. By then you should know something. In the end you are only doing yourself and that person a favor by not dragging things out.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:03 AM

37,646 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
Well, the last gal I went out with was a real good friend of mine in high school. I saw her again at her job (a hostess) and I got her number and went on a date.... Date went pretty good and planned for date two... Date day came, she cancelled.... Next day she texted me saying that we should just be friends.... Never heard from her since... I thought I had a chance....

Anyway, that is the only time I've been "broken-up" with. My view is, I'll give it about three dates to see if something is really there or if it's worth taking the relationship further.... If not, then I'll break it off over a cup of coffee... I hate the idea of breaking up in a non-face to face manner.

Anyway, the last break-up left me pretty bummed and now this girl from work won't return my texts but talks to me at work is got me running a 1,000 mph... I've had a recent bad luck with girls so hopefully something will happen eventually *fingers crossed*
I don't think she did too badly considering you guys had only been out once. If I know, after one date, that I don't want to see the person again, there for sure won't be a 2nd date. If I am on the fence, I might agree to a 2nd...but it's easy to go back home and mull things over, and then realize that it isn't right. I'd never go 3 dates if I knew there was nothing there, and I don't see why anyone would.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,556,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbr View Post

When you feel you no longer want to continue seeing them. You owe it to yourself first. Life is too short to waste time on a relationship you don't want to be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships