Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:28 PM

346 posts, read 507,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Yeah, blame us...it has nothing to do with skyrocketing housing, food, living expenses, etc. compared to decades ago. You can't keep half your brain in the 50's and the other in 2011. Doesn't make for valid argument.
Here here! I agree with seenorita! Don't blame women in the work force when there are clearly 100 other problems and issues with the economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:45 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
I will just say this.

A very good friend of mine was dating a nice young lady. They both had good paying jobs and didn't really want or need anything. After about 3 yrs they decided to marry. About 3 weeks before the wedding she asked him how soon after they married can she quit her job... She felt she didn't need to work any longer and wanted to quit as soon as possible.

Long story short is he called off the wedding and tossed her out on her azz.. Today he's dating a very nice woman that doesn't mind pulling her own weight.

My personal feeling on the situation is both parties need to work and make as much money as possible until retirement then you can enjoy your money and time together.
How rude of you. Some of us "pull our own weight" by SAVING money rather than earning it. And others pull their own weight by making a pleasant and relaxing home/castle to come home to. Pulling one's own weight by YOUR definition may be earning as much money, but it isn't necessarily the right way. So when your friend and his wife have children, will he share EQUALLY in taking off time from work and picking up from daycare or doing the doctor thing? More to the point, will you?

As for waiting until retirement to live/enjoy life, you'd better hope neither you nor your loved one suffers any ailment/accident which may prevent that. So sad to go through life with one goal - money; and never be able to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Considering that thanks to women entering the work in large numbers and driving down the salaries of most men to barely half of what they were decades ago, it is critical that both marriage partners keep working at least until all major expenses are paid for.
Of course, not encountering major expenses might be a wiser plan. That's actually easier done when one partner takes care of the homefront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Seriously? Not every non-working spouse sits in front of the television eating bon-bons. Where *I* live (in the country) there are gardens to tend, produce to be canned, dresses to be sewed and slippers to be knitted. There is bread to be baked (that is an all-day project). Fruit trees have to be sprayed on a regular basis for bugs and disease.

For folks who don't have a garden and such, lots of ladies volunteer to work with hospitals, hospices, local community organizations, animals shelters, etc. which is very fulfilling and important.

Not doing much with their life, indeed.

20yrsinBranson
I agree with 99% of this post, except for the bread baking - I am usually doing something else while the dough is rising, so I don't really count it as a whole day.

BTW, the fresh tomatoes from our garden were incredibly delicious tonight. Plucked, washed, sliced, and enjoyed within minutes.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 PM

663 posts, read 1,082,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating;
First of all, I just can't understand why someone can't be curious about something/ask for opinions without people saying "it's none of your business", "who cares" or "if it don't affect my life, I don't care" type remarks. There are people out there, like myself, that simply have a "curious mind" within them and ask others about things.
Now, as far as the OP's question, I've wondered the same thing! I've also wondered what kind of a salary, hours, travel some husbands have to put in to be the ONLY income for a household with children. I also know that there are wives that do run an in-home business. I knew a lady that done embroidery in her home. In fact, she had an embroidery machine hooked up to a computer. But, when the husband is the only income, and there is a mortgage to pay along witht the rest of expenses, his income has to be awfully good.
As for me, I'm a retired spouse in my early 60's. Due to being unemployed and my age, wife and I decided for me to do the "early retirement/SS" thing this year. I keep quite occupied while my wife is at her full-time job. I keep our apartment clean and other things done (laundry, dishes, etc.) and run errands.
The tone of the OP was negative. The assumption in that post is that anyone without kids and voluntarily unemployed are just lazy folks who don't pull their weight in a marriage. A person who was generally just curious about this would have asked why without all the negativity. The OP already had a strong opinion about this situation and wasn't curious for the sake thereof. In that context it really isn't the OP's business, they just want to be negative and/or stir crap up.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:56 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I have no real problem with it, if, the woman is self sufficent, and that generally does not happen in that type of relationship. The man is the controller, and, the woman is not in control of anything.

Really doesn't matter until the hubby decides to leave her for another woman or...dies. Then we have women who have no clue as to how manage their lives or take care of themselves.

This mentally level goes back to the bible and the stone age, the man slayed the dragons and provided for the woman.

Now, we must consider the woman who is either physically or mentally unable to work, puts a whole new spin on things.

The bottom line to me, is, I don't care as long as it does not affect me.
For someone who doesn't care you seem to have a lot of opinions on the subject.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
If one wants to stay at home and the other spouse can provide, go ahead. Or whatever. The non working spouse should have a contigency plan in case of divorce or death of supporting spouse.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,920 times
Doesn't bother me one bit.

However, the non-working, no-children, non-disabled, single person makes me wonder. Do they have a money growing tree out back?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Seriously? Not every non-working spouse sits in front of the television eating bon-bons. Where *I* live (in the country) there are gardens to tend, produce to be canned, dresses to be sewed and slippers to be knitted. There is bread to be baked (that is an all-day project). Fruit trees have to be sprayed on a regular basis for bugs and disease.

For folks who don't have a garden and such, lots of ladies volunteer to work with hospitals, hospices, local community organizations, animals shelters, etc. which is very fulfilling and important.

Not doing much with their life, indeed.

20yrsinBranson
I'm sorry I have to call you on this one...I take care of the house (including cleaning, cooking, and minor electrical work...and I just killed a snake when I got home), property (including gardening, raking and pruning trees for gods sake), manage my rentals AND work outside of the house which was definitely NOT in my plan for life. How much bread are you baking that it takes all day? Mix...then you leave it to rise. You can do other stuff while the bread's rising...

YOu ladies...you have the easy life. Just be grateful.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Doesn't bother me one bit.

However, the non-working, no-children, non-disabled, single person makes me wonder. Do they have a money growing tree out back?
No, but they found a sucker to support them.

A sucker who complains and whines about it, maybe that is a form of bragging?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Personally, it seems odd TO ME because I can't imagine staying home and doing nothing but shopping and whatever else they do all day. I'd love to not have to work, but even if I didn't I would still be doing something. I'd either spend my time volunteering or I would work the low paying job I really want to do.

However, it's not my life or business so they can do whatever they want. I do hope these women realize the free ride may stop at any time and make plans accordingly. If I end up having to support their lazy butts through welfare, that would not make me happy.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Personally, it seems odd TO ME because I can't imagine staying home and doing nothing but shopping and whatever else they do all day. I'd love to not have to work, but even if I didn't I would still be doing something. I'd either spend my time volunteering or I would work the low paying job I really want to do.

However, it's not my life or business so they can do whatever they want. I do hope these women realize the free ride may stop at any time and make plans accordingly. If I end up having to support their lazy butts through welfare, that would not make me happy.
Sigh, you're not trying hard enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships