Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times

Advertisements

I dont know, I find talking to girls in real life can be intimidating, even daunting. Im very socially awkward and usually when I talk to girls I get shot down pretty quickly or the girl tries to gracefully leave the room

I prefer meeting girls online as I have been much more successful with it and I find its MUCH easier to do. And Im willing to date less attractive women (the perfect 10s usually dont have online profiles, they dont need em) if it means I can have a date or get any at all. Getting some from an average to below average looking girl is better than getting none at al

Does anybody else prefer to meet somebody online even if it means lowering your standards as far as physical attractiveness goes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,431 times
There's something different about meeting some spontaneously in person. To me it's more exciting than reading a profile and then getting to know someone. However, this doesn't happen as often as meeting someone online (as long as you're sending a bunch of messages). I was shy and wouldn't usually talk to someone unless I knew she also wanted to talk.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Does anybody else prefer to meet somebody online
I kind of do... I like knowing more about them beforehand and have an established rapport. Of course, if you haven't seen a picture, you run the risk of being disappointed in the looks department. However, somebody who I normally wouldn’t consider based on looks alone, may grow on me if everything else is great.

On the other hand, there's nothing like the spark in real life. Only that those sparks more often than not lead to huge, devastating, and damaging fires...

Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
it's a good idea. personally, I get a lot out of a person's writing. I think it tells me more about them than a face-to-face conversation does, which is usually just telling me what I want to hear.

In practice, though, good looking young women don't use it, decent looking young women get swamped with attention, so for me it's pointless. Apparently, any idiot who would never have the balls to talk to a girl at a bar can start a profile and send 50 messages in an hour, and that kinda ruins it for everybody else.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I like the idea of reading about someone. A profile says a lot. If they don't care enough to use the language properly, or spell check, it speaks volumes. I also like corresponding and learning about the person and who they are.

Looks don't matter much. Time turns everyone's pretty to ugly so there had better be more than looks.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Yes I met a few interesting people online. I would advise going on a double date if you are female. Some crazy people. Lol

Old 08-08-2011, 01:34 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I dont know, I find talking to girls in real life can be intimidating, even daunting. Im very socially awkward and usually when I talk to girls I get shot down pretty quickly or the girl tries to gracefully leave the room

I prefer meeting girls online as I have been much more successful with it and I find its MUCH easier to do. And Im willing to date less attractive women (the perfect 10s usually dont have online profiles, they dont need em) if it means I can have a date or get any at all. Getting some from an average to below average looking girl is better than getting none at al

Does anybody else prefer to meet somebody online even if it means lowering your standards as far as physical attractiveness goes?
I prefer meeting people online because when I meet them face to face there is something about their presence that makes me uncomfortable. But online it feels calm and good. And I think you CAN have the spark online. I've met a person and felt some sparks and can't get him out of my head (but I am working on it since for a few reasons it's not going to lead anywhere).

So I think for me it's best to meet people without a spark, just enough chemistry to make it enjoyable to talk. So that I don't have to go through ups and downs trying to get them out of my head. It was so exciting when it happened... but now I mostly have the pain left... So I hope I won't have to deal with a spark anymore, but it's like an addiction or gravity, once you hit the field, you can't escape it....you get sucked in.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:56 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I met my fiancee online so I do not have a lot of negatives to say about it.

I think for some people, it can be very effective. for others, not so much. Depends on what your looking for and how you go about looking for it. If you have so much anxiety you cannot really push yourself to meet people in person, it may be a great way to allow you to break the ice and feel secure in doing so. Just remember, your going to want to physically meet and talk at some point...

Old 08-08-2011, 03:22 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it's a good idea. personally, I get a lot out of a person's writing. I think it tells me more about them than a face-to-face conversation does, which is usually just telling me what I want to hear.

In practice, though, good looking young women don't use it, decent looking young women get swamped with attention, so for me it's pointless.
It's pointless for you?

I personally preferred to meet people in person and get all of the uncomfortable weirdness out of the way. Yes, it is easier to talk online, but it builds up too much expectation. I prefer not to waste my time if I can help it.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
It's pointless for you?

I personally preferred to meet people in person and get all of the uncomfortable weirdness out of the way. Yes, it is easier to talk online, but it builds up too much expectation. I prefer not to waste my time if I can help it.
True. Online dating is my last resort. If I start off online dating and expect to meet him face to face, I'll feel more uncomfortable because I'm so used to talking to him online already. I prefer face to face. It tears down the wall already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships