Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Wondering how some of you feel about giving up your personal space when company comes for a visit?

We have some nice guest beds, twins and queens, but our bed is the only king sized bed in the house.

We've always made the guest rooms/spaces as comfortable as possible but have had a policy of not giving up our own room. I am just not crazy about the idea of others being in my bed or in my private part of the house.

But we have family members who always insist on giving up their master when we visit no matter how much we insist we'd be fine in the double bed in their guest room. We tend to visit them more often than the other way around, but now they will be coming for the holidays and I'm feeling kind of badly that I don't want to give up my room.

Anyone else deal with this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:21 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
I'd never offer MY room to guest. No matter what. Last time the in-laws visited, it as before the 3 year old was born, I offered my 3rd bedroom/office to them and they refused. FIL wanted to sleep on sofa in the living room and MIL wanted to sleep on air mattress set up in my den. Wife, was all like "we should give them our bed" I was like "Nope".

Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
I would never give up my boudoir, and would feel uncomfortable taking someone else's.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I would never give up my boudoir, and would feel uncomfortable taking someone else's.
THANK YOU!

I am always uncomfortable taking the in-laws bedroom when we visit, though they insist on it every time. They do this for everyone who visits them! They are really sweet people and mean well, so it's easier not to hurt their feelings and just take the room. They don't do anything to guilt me about not giving up my room - that's just self imposed pressure, lol.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
No way!

We got a nice spare bedroom for guest and an air mattress for even more company. Thankfully we don't have a lot of people staying over, all our family lives here locally...except the father in law who divorced and moved off...but he has no plans on returning.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I'd never offer MY room to guest. No matter what. Last time the in-laws visited, it as before the 3 year old was born, I offered my 3rd bedroom/office to them and they refused. FIL wanted to sleep on sofa in the living room and MIL wanted to sleep on air mattress set up in my den. Wife, was all like "we should give them our bed" I was like "Nope".
OHMYGOSH, I've had that kind of company too! I really hate having someone and their stuff all around the middle of the house in the living room, but I bit my tongue to keep the peace, know what I mean?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
No, we have two guest rooms that are perfectly nice. Now, if it was a matter of them sleeping on the couch/floor or in our bed, I'd give up the bed and take the air mattress (especially to my parents/grandparents, who really shouldn't be sleeping on the floor!!!)

Old 09-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
No, we have two guest rooms that are perfectly nice. Now, if it was a matter of them sleeping on the couch/floor or in our bed, I'd give up the bed and take the air mattress (especially to my parents/grandparents, who really shouldn't be sleeping on the floor!!!)

The rule in our house is the most senior guest(s) gets the nicest guest room and only my kids get the air mattresses on the floor. Though they are actually young adults now and deserve their own bed, they don't mind getting down on the floor.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
No. We do have a guest room. We also have a very comfortable sofa. There is a nice Hampton Inn not too far away, if there is overflow or if anyone needs "master bedroom privacy"--we would get them a room there.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
We have a more than adequate guest room. It is for guests, which also means family who visit. Our bedroom is for us, set up for us, and we're not about to move all the little personal things out.

Giving up your personal space sounds very strange to me, given that there is guest space available. If they seem like they expect to be given our space, I'd invite them to get a hotel room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships