Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:16 AM

193 posts, read 812,492 times

Advertisements

We don't usually stop to think about them until someone says something that makes us grind our teeth, but I want to know if you hold to any double standards. Men & women, do you view your opposite sex through any double standard glasses? I'm especially interested to hear if any men will admit to upholding a double standard view on some subject . So which ones play a role in your life, and which do you think exist for others but that you try not take part in? Or do you think they do not exist much anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
You've got to be kidding me. I'm going to be the first to grab the popcorn for this fireworks topic!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I know it's not fair, but as a woman, I find it unattractive if a man does not know about cars or mechanical things/electronics or how to fix things. I enjoy all of the above and I realize the stereotype is that women don't spend time talking about engines and specs, but I find it strange when I meet a guy who does not know or does not care about this stuff. Weird, huh?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:27 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
We don't usually stop to think about them until someone says something that makes us grind our teeth, but I want to know if you hold to any double standards. Men & women, do you view your opposite sex through any double standard glasses? I'm especially interested to hear if any men will admit to upholding a double standard view on some subject . So which ones play a role in your life, and which do you think exist for others but that you try not take part in? Or do you think they do not exist much anymore?
I'm sure plenty will show up to pretend not to have double standards...

Old 08-19-2008, 11:32 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
You've got to be kidding me. I'm going to be the first to grab the popcorn for this fireworks topic!
I knew I would see you on here!

To answer your question, I definitely think there are double standards that we live by.

I need to preface these statements with, I am a white,married, woman, 38 with a menagerie of kids and this is how I see it.

Many times when a news story breaks about a female teacher having a relationship with a male student, I hear responses as such "Where was that teacher when I was in school??" (from men), or "Women react that way when they suffer from Bipolar disorder or Borderline personality disorder. SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG WITH HER!"

But, when a male teacher has a relationship with a student, he is a pedophile, rapist, criminal. Very rarely are they given the "luxury" of an illness as the women are. THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT FOR TEACHER/STUDENT RELATIONSHIPS!! OR ADULT/CHILD relationships!

When women stray from their marriage they are 1) unhappy 2) confused 3)abused by a parent, etc.

But when a man strays, he is 1)a scum bag 2) sex addict 3)doesn't know a good thing when he has it.

Now, with that said, when a woman misbehaves she is 1)crazy 2)has anger issues 3) is not polished.

When a man misbehaves the 'boys will be boys' attitude prevails.

Women are usually expected to be the better parent. Hear me out on this. My friend is getting divorced and she sent an email with the 'f' word in it to her soon to be ex husband. The judge mentioned the email to her in court and said "You should be more of a lady and not use those types of words when you have children. You are the responsible parent here" . But her husband had used some FOUL words in emails and that was never addressed by the courts.

It is a crazy world we live in, ain't it??

Last edited by mrstewart; 08-19-2008 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
R U Serious?! Men and Women both are filled with double standards.....from todlers to the grave we always always have some type of double standard. Hey, I know I do.....I think it's called......"Human Nature"

Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm sure plenty will show up to pretend not to have double standards...
To the OP:

I don't have double standards.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Now, with that said, when a woman misbehaves she is 1)crazy 2)has anger issues 3) is not polished.
Let us also not forget hormonal.

Quote:
Women are usually expected to be the better parent. Hear me out on this. My friend is getting divorced and she sent an email with the 'f' word in it to her soon to be ex husband. The judge mentioned the email to her in court and said "You should be more of a lady and not use those types of words when you have children. You are the responsible parent here" . But her husband had used some FOUL words in emails and that was never addressed by the courts.
Since, the husband gets the privilege of being the irresponsible one, right?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Let us also not forget hormonal.

Since, the husband gets the privilege of being the irresponsible one, right?
BINGO!

We should all be held to the same standards of behavior. It drives me bonkers! Well, I was already bonkers, but this doesn't help

Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM

193 posts, read 812,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
R U Serious?! Men and Women both are filled with double standards.....from todlers to the grave we always always have some type of double standard. Hey, I know I do.....I think it's called......"Human Nature"
Yes, there are tons of double standards, I'm curious though because it seems that the offending sex usually downplays them or says that particular one doesn't exist . I'm glad to see that some people are sharing their personal ones, I'll have to think real hard so I can share some of mine .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships