Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

How much to you listen to what they have to say about a potential date? Do they ever encourage you to go out with so and so, or not to go out with a guy, if so how much do you listen to them? Is the advice usually sound, or sort of shallow, bitchy, critical...Do alot of women discourage a friend from dating a man on the basis of superficial things like height, financial situation, ethnicity, race? Or is it mostly things to do with the person himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Zip, never have. Most of the time, my friends don't even MEET whomever I'm dating until we're serious, and by that point, I don't really NEED them to weigh in. It's cool if they like one another, but it's not really critical.

My family's opinion does carry some weight. But my friends? Nah.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
the best way to get along in life without any regrets is to make your own decisions - for better or worse you made the decision and have no one to blame or praise except yourself

Old 10-14-2011, 09:38 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How much to you listen to what they have to say about a potential date?
None at all. I'm extremely bullheaded in this respect. No one is convincing me of anything, if I'm diving in, I'm diving in...if I'm ditching, I'm ditching. I respect my girlies' opinions, but they aren't living my life.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
My friends have never had any influence over my choice in men. I found out after the fact that they all thought my ex-fiance was totally wrong for me - but they never said a thing until after I called off the wedding.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My friends have never had any influence over my choice in men. I found out after the fact that they all thought my ex-fiance was totally wrong for me - but they never said a thing until after I called off the wedding.
Conversely if friends really do know something geniunely bad about a date/partner, they should say so, in honest objective language, as soon as possible.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:59 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,508,726 times
More than you think. While the responses here seem warm and positive, I'm willing to bet they're not entirely truthful. I have seen numerous instances where a woman was interested and once her girlfriends said one bad thing about him, she didn't continue with him. This is very common in their teens and 20s. With some, it continues even in their 30s.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How much to you listen to what they have to say about a potential date? Do they ever encourage you to go out with so and so, or not to go out with a guy, if so how much do you listen to them? Is the advice usually sound, or sort of shallow, bitchy, critical...Do alot of women discourage a friend from dating a man on the basis of superficial things like height, financial situation, ethnicity, race? Or is it mostly things to do with the person himself?
No, a lot of time it's their religion background. I appreciate their concerns, but they have no saying in who I can date. If they are right and I am wrong and stubborn, I just need to learn from my lesson. I will only take their advice if they do not come off as "Bible-thumpers" and judgmental about my ideology of relationship. I told one of my closes friend that I would rather pick a non-religious (Atheist) guy who respects me and gets along with me than a Christian guy who doesn't. My friend quickly went into the Bible and said this and that. I withdrew from her and ignored her advice because to me she didn't even bother to discern and understand where I was coming from.

I am a private person, so I tend not to tell people who I like and who I am dating unless it gets serious.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:29 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
No, a lot of time it's their religion background. I appreciate their concerns, but they have no saying in who I can date. If they are right and I am wrong and stubborn, I just need to learn from my lesson. I will only take their advice if they do not come off as "Bible-thumpers" and judgmental about my ideology of relationship. I told one of my closes friend that I would rather pick a non-religious (Atheist) guy who respects me and gets along with me than a Christian guy who doesn't. My friend quickly went into the Bible and said this and that. I withdrew from her and ignored her advice because to me she didn't even bother to discern and understand where I was coming from.

I am a private person, so I tend not to tell people who I like and who I am dating unless it gets serious.
I can agree with you on this point. My bf and I are of different faiths and my friends are ones that believe you should have the same faith. I just don't tell them my business! Besides, I'm too old...mid 30s....yeah, I know me by now!

Old 10-15-2011, 10:33 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I can agree with you on this point. My bf and I are of different faiths and my friends are ones that believe you should have the same faith. I just don't tell them my business! Besides, I'm too old...mid 30s....yeah, I know me by now!
It's important to have the same faith, but I believe that if you know what you are doing and expect from this relationship, whatever. I asked my "mother and father" figure what they think of interfaith relationship, and most of them said "be careful if you do get into a relationship" but none of them stopped me and said "you are wrong, wrong, wrong!". And they're much older and wiser than my friends anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships