Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:07 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
I travel a lot for work. I was just in the bay area. While there, I noticed quite a number of people took double looks...

I believe people can pick up on the fact that I'm rather conservative, based on my attire and overall mannerisms.
And I believe you're wrong about that, particularly since a lot of this reaction you get is their initial reaction, before they've had much chance to observe your supposedly conservative mannerisms.

Maybe things are more easy-going in the West, but I'm accustomed to being in a work environment where people dress conservatively, yet I'd be a fool to assume that they are conservatives because of their attire. And I can't begin to imagine what liberal mannerisms I must be showing at work such that people who just met me or who don't know me well would be able to deduce my beliefs, morals, or politics.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:08 PM

140 posts, read 120,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes59 View Post
I personally like a woman who is confident in herself and behaves that way. I am sure there are some men who are uncomfortable with a "strong" woman whatever her race. I would also say that there are some men who are even more taken aback by your positive and agressive attitude since you are a black woman and obviously attractive and intelligent to boot. Men are programmed to look at women not as equals and you are the exception to the norm for them. Dont take it personally as an affront but as a badge of honor. Its not a racial thing, its a gender thing. Walk proud and strong and those people who judge you, they are not worth your time! Enjoy your life it seems you have a good one.
Thanks for your words of encouragement, but I would never describe myself as 'strong' in the figurative or literal sense. Also, I'm the furthest thing from aggressive.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
I am trying to figure the point of this thread. **Moderator Cut** Please get to the point? Maybe people look at you because you are attractive.

How is this a politics or controversy?

Last edited by sunshineleith; 10-23-2011 at 08:04 AM..

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Sure, it has to be a 'sociology experiment' conducted by an Asian, because a black American woman couldn't possibly have this problem.
Right, they are self-assured and confident, both qualities you appear to lack...

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
I only mentioned my youthful look, because I'm thinking this may play a role in the double takes. Perhaps people are simply curious as to how a 'young' black woman managed to get such a great job.
This sounds more possible to me than the assumption that black conservative women are disliked. But as I said, black professional women are not an oddity in the DC area, but that probably isn't the case everywhere in the country.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I get that (sort of), too, sometimes as I have a mixed race/ethnic background. I don't have an accent and even my name doesn't match my appearance. But after a few seconds it's back to business. I don't think it is a negative perception of you that they have. We (including me) all have an image in our heads of what a person on the phone must look like in person and when it doesn't match expectations there is a momentary reset. I think it is nothing.

[you might be on to something if they said, "I never would have imagined a black, professional woman and yet...here you are!!"]
Maybe you're right. Perhaps I'm making too much of it.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
anger issues and attitude radiate like a boom box.
watch mr obama. see any? that is how he got where he is.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:17 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times
**Moderator Cut due to orphaned material**

I know more black women than I can count. Most of them lean left, but there are a few conservatives in the mix. Yes, I'm fully aware that just like everybody else, not every black person likes hip-hop, or basketball, or (insert stereotype here). I don't see any issues with either of them with regard to how they're received by others.

**Moderator Cut **

Last edited by sunshineleith; 10-23-2011 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
How does dressing very nicely equate with being conservative?

And what are outlandish looks? Do people giggle? Roll their eyes? Make the 'screwball' gesture with finger to side of head? Stick out their tongues?
No, it's more or less prolonged looks... but I guess I am making too much of it...

After all, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't know who the OP is but the ridiculous assumption that you can tell a person's race based solely on their views of their own race and other races is well... you guessed it... u got nothing... don't pretend like you know something...
I just get the impression that people expect me to 'behave' in a certain fashion, and when I don't, they become un-nerved.

It's very apparent that I'm conservative. I do not hide it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships