Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 AM

103 posts, read 260,550 times

Advertisements

So Im actively dating a few different guys (nothing physical) but Ive been on 3 dates with one .... 2 with another ... you get the idea.

Anyway, Ive gotten some really great advice on here, so Ill throw one more question out into the mix:

This guy Ive been on 5 dates with (havent mentioned him on here yet) ... seems great, interested etc

Then in a conversation today he informs me that he cant see himself getting serious over anyone that makes less than him (he makes quite a bit) ... No he didnt tell me how much, but given his position 6 figures is sorta a minimum. He also said hes not a huge fan of dating, because he doesnt want to end up broke

Anyway, I definitly dont make anywhere what he makes and Im a single mom with three kids. (I do ok and I have quite a bit saved up - he knows this) but .... nothing like what he makes.

He even went on to sorta joke about years ago meeting someone and when he found out what she did for a living (worked at Starbucks), he decide he was all set in asking her out.

So ... my question to you guys is: Why do you suppose he keeps asking me out? (I know that you cant read his mind, but just your impression is fine) He acts interested on the dates, but we dont have a huge amount of contact between. Whenever we part ways, he always says: I had a great time! Lets do it again! Call me! (standard stuff but then he follows up and calls and asks for more dates)

Im having fun just meeting guys and going out ... so Im not stressed over this, but I find it odd.

Oh ... and for the record, we've been alternating paying for dates. He paid for the first... when we went on our second I grabbed the check and said "My turn!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,070,278 times
wow. Don't worry about why he keeps asking you out. Are you wanting something serious? If so, did he not just tell you he doesn't want to be serious with someone who makes less than he does? I wouldn't fall too hard for this one. And let him pick up the tab!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,679,562 times
He's either testing you (because he's paranoid as *** > so tiring) or he's a total dweeb. 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Either way, he lacks trust. It's up to you whether you want to deal with that.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
I don't understand the Starbucks thing if he said he wouldn't get serious with anyone who made less than he.

I guess that's his way of informing you that he would sleep with you but not marry you.

(Also, in my experience with people who really do make "6 figures," they don't talk about it.)

Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM

103 posts, read 260,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I don't understand the Starbucks thing if he said he wouldn't get serious with anyone who made less than he.

I guess that's his way of informing you that he would sleep with you but not marry you.
Esentially, he met a woman (years ago) that he liked and was interested in, but because she worked at Starbucks (probably making minimum wage) he decided not to ask her out... He wants a girlfriend that makes what he makes .... minimum wage being from his salary

Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,042,751 times
It sounds like his message to you is that he doesn't consider you good long term relationship material because he is greedy and doesn't want to share any of his six figure income, but if you are open to dating him casually then he does like your company (or something) and is having fun.

Maybe he is positioning for FWB?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,920,002 times
He's stringing you along until something of his standards comes around. Which in my opinion is you. You are too good for him. What a arrogant arse.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,679,562 times
Probably just wants sex from you (you make enough for that), and doesn't want to get married. That's his right to choose, but if that's not what you want for your life, then end it now. The quicker, the better.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,328,279 times
OP, why didn't you ask HIM during the conversation?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 AM

896 posts, read 1,478,034 times
Good for you paying for the 2nd date. Impressive. You sound like a keeper.

You are a single mom with 3 kids, and I assume this guy has no kids or you would have mentioned it. Correct??

Guys with no kids date single moms when she is the hottest thing that will give him the time of day. If he was having any luck at all with hot women with no kids....he would be pursuing that.

Does he want to raise someone else's kids? No. And if he did want kids, he would have had his own.

Don't be his plan B or consolation prize. Move on. Hold out for an attractive single dad. At least you know he wanted kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships