Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,584 times

Advertisements

While I am perfectly happy in my relationship I was wondering about how most people seeking someone new present themselves to others in an ad.

What kinds of things do you say about yourself?

The reason I ask is because I have always found it difficult to answer the question : Describe yourself.

Do you list your hobbies like watching pro-wrestling, playing musical instruments, gardening, singing, politics, languages ect?

Do you tell them about your educational background ect?

What are some ways that the average person can help improve the way that they not only display but introduce themselves to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I present myself like a sarcastic business proposal with a few high quality pictures. I always throw in at least one goofy picture of myself.

I do find in bothersome that some people write so very little in their profiles.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Have some good pics, humor in the profile, and yes all the above you said.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I present myself like a sarcastic business proposal with a few high quality pictures. I always throw in at least one goofy picture of myself.

I do find in bothersome that some people write so very little in their profiles.
I am parts Native American, English and Scottish. I have a yellow tinge to my skin and I have a hard time finding a photograph of myself that I would feel confident in showing others because of it. I always come out looking white as a sheet like casper the ghost or something! I cannot tan to aid in that trouble either. I straight up burn in the slightest of sun!

I think that everyone has goofy pictures of themselves. I know that I would not be confident in showing others those photos of myself but I keep them for my scrapbooks.

I love to write alot in my profiles. I haven't gotten around to fixing up mine just yet since I want to keep it clean so I am hoping to not only help myself descibe me better but to do it in a polite and friendly mannor.

If given the chance I could talk for hours!

I have a major in Linguistics as well as a TESOL degree so if it has to do with languages I am all about it!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Have some good pics, humor in the profile, and yes all the above you said.
Interesting that you list humor as something you would like to use or see in profiles. A good sense of humor is important. Unfortunately mine is cheesy as can be!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
When I did the online dating site thing, my profile was a parody of profiles. Those who got it got bonus points. Those who didn't, sent me some really nasty messages!

Seriously... "I like to cuddle"???

C'MON!!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
When I did the online dating site thing, my profile was a parody of profiles. Those who got it got bonus points. Those who didn't, sent me some really nasty messages!

Seriously... "I like to cuddle"???

C'MON!!!!
Who doesn't like to cuddle? Things that are understood should make no sense in being listed on your profile.

I do love a good parody be it on profiles or other subjects. Especially job applications. I have read some pretty hilarious ones. By hilarious I don't mean for the person thinking they could have a job with a limited skill set but things like writing 'Yes please!' when asked what your sex is ect.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
I love to write alot in my profiles. I haven't gotten around to fixing up mine just yet since I want to keep it clean so I am hoping to not only help myself descibe me better but to do it in a polite and friendly mannor.
I understood your profile question which was posted out of curiosity but am now confused by this post. If your question was purely academic and you're perfectly happy in your relationship, why do you have a dating profile in progress?

Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I understood your profile question which was posted out of curiosity but am now confused by this post. If your question was purely academic and you're perfectly happy in your relationship, why do you have a dating profile in progress?
Oh I do not wish to use my profile here for dating. I just want to present myself to those who view my profile in a better fashion.

Kind of like having a facebook account. You don't use it for dating but you want to make sure that people know who you are.

That kind of thing.

It is a skill that I never quite mastered. I have always had a hard time thinking of a well thought out response to how to describe myself is all. I figure it is a life skill that needs more practice.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 AM

I mean that is ok isn't it? If I choose to stick around and not make waves. I thought there were plenty of married couples on this forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships