Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
That a man is the king of his castle, if he comes home from work he expect his meals hot,kids taken care of,house clean,and her not to complain when he goes out to unwind everynight. WDYT? My sister is extremely liberal BTW, so you can guess how well this went over.
That's interesting.

I wonder if she explained her beliefs on the matter in a manner respectful of his views or if she automatically treated him as lesser than and backward and went fascist on him.

One definition of 'liberal' is:

"favoring or permitting freedom of action, especially with respect to matters of personal belief or expression"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
So, he just wants to live the good respectable family life that men and families enjoyed before the 80's and earlier. Is the world gone mad?
Eh?

There's nothing respectable about this guy. Any regular joe who can't tell the difference between his woman and an employee (or himself and a king) is delusional and therefore might as well be happy with an imaginary girlfriend. Besides getting HER off the hook, this type of "man" won't be happy with anyone else anyway. It shows great insecurity to have to tell a woman what you "expect". If you're worth a damn as a man, you'll be treated well by your woman. If you have to tell your girl what they supposedly should give you, you haven't earned it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
That's interesting.

I wonder if she explained her beliefs on the matter in a manner respectful of his views or if she automatically treated him as lesser than and backward and went fascist on him.

One definition of 'liberal' is:

"favoring or permitting freedom of action, especially with respect to matters of personal belief or expression"
Not all views should be respected. And I'm sometimes annoyed by extreme feminists, but this guy IS lesser and backward.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
That a man is the king of his castle, if he comes home from work he expect his meals hot,kids taken care of,house clean,and her not to complain when he goes out to unwind everynight. WDYT? My sister is extremely liberal BTW, so you can guess how well this went over.
Do? Nothing. She walks away. Why associate with this guy?

There's somebody out there for this guy and there's somebody out there for your sister, and they're obviously not one another's choice so...they go find their right "somebody." Not sure why this is a dilemma.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Eh?

There's nothing respectable about this guy. Any regular joe who can't tell the difference between his woman and an employee (or himself and a king) is delusional and therefore might as well be happy with an imaginary girlfriend. Besides getting HER off the hook, this type of "man" won't be happy with anyone else anyway. It shows great insecurity to have to tell a woman what you "expect". If you're worth a damn as a man, you'll be treated well by your woman. If you have to tell your girl what they supposedly should give you, you haven't earned it yet.

Not all views should be respected. And I'm sometimes annoyed by extreme feminists, but this guy IS lesser and backward.
Yeah, liberals are good at being selective and choosing whose choices are worthy of respect, as if they are God and all-knowing. I think people should be able to choose to live however they like and it should be respected.

That said, even besides Muslims and other foreign cultures, many Americans live according to these gender roles, taking on different responsibilities as a team. Many middle-class folks live this way, even if they aren't vocal about it and don't acknowledge it or point it out. Though it's probably most pronounced within the working class, which is where you'll find the women who are most dependent on men combined with less political correctness. Dare I say different roles according to gender are actually natural?

Now obviously it becomes a problem or at least troubling to most of us when the man has so much influence he's actually controlling the woman, as if she were a 13 year old child. Or if he treats her as if she literally doubles as a maid. Even then, who am I to say what's right or wrong in that regard? I guess when it comes down to the guy not letting the woman leave the lifestyle if she wanted to or intimidated her to stay is when it flat out becomes wrong.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Well, since my Dad abdicated his throne when I was 13 or so leaving my Mom, brother, and I behind, I'd say men like this can go F themselves.

[some women are bigger 'men' than some men]

Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
I don't know why this thread is getting so political. It's a pointless direction to go.

The guy may have really had those views or might have been just messing around. Some people want it like that, and some people don't. It works for many (both men and women) and doesn't for many as well. As long as your sister meets someone that is compatible with her, and this guy meets someone that is compatible with him... it's not a big deal.

It's not like he wants to eat her alive after mating with her.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 AM

373 posts, read 710,516 times
You may need to tell him how upset you get when someone makes your sister cry...That you hate it and you jet very very upset when someone does that.....

Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
You may need to tell him how upset you get when someone makes your sister cry...That you hate it and you jet very very upset when someone does that.....
I doubt his sister would cry. We're talking about a feministic, liberal woman here, according to the OP. More than likely she had positive emotions reaffirming her righteousness and no problem defending herself and enjoyed doing so.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't know why this thread is getting so political. It's a pointless direction to go.

The guy may have really had those views or might have been just messing around. Some people want it like that, and some people don't. It works for many (both men and women) and doesn't for many as well. As long as your sister meets someone that is compatible with her, and this guy meets someone that is compatible with him... it's not a big deal.
If he was serious, it depends then on how he actually said it. The lifestyle (the man's employed, the woman takes care of things at home) itself is not a problem, but the attitude that a woman must meet the demands of her husband IS.

Even if a woman DOES like being told what's "expected" of her, it's still more than a matter of preference. This type of guy considers women to be inferior no matter how he might deny it, and being in a relationship with a woman who puts up with it only perpetuates that idea. And if you think it only affects the two of them (and maybe their children, which is enough), you're wrong. These men go out into the real world and they bring their idiocies with them, which affects their behavior everywhere they go. At the store, in restaurants, at work, etc.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
I agree, she's obviously a free loader.

My sister is a pediatrician, and this guy is a teacher. So who do you think is the one making more money, and who would most likely be the free loader ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships