Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:18 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

People may want to think they are looking for like-minded soul mates but the reality is simply that men are attracted to beauty and women are attracted to wealth.

Research gathered in a scientific speed-dating study reveals that when it comes to the rules of attraction people behave like stereotypical Neanderthals.

The findings confirm the cliché of "feminine beauty plus masculine money equals love", famously lampooned by the parody chat-show host Mrs Merton when she asked the dancer Debbie McGee: "What first attracted you to short, balding millionaire Paul Daniels?"

They also seem to bless the Daniels-McGee union, along with that of Bernie Ecclestone, the Formula 1 chief, and Slavica, the former Armani model; Howard Stern, the controversial American disc jockey, and Beth Ostrosky, the model; and many more besides.

Men seek beauty, women want wealth - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
People may want to think they are looking for like-minded soul mates but the reality is simply that men are attracted to beauty and women are attracted to wealth.

Research gathered in a scientific speed-dating study reveals that when it comes to the rules of attraction people behave like stereotypical Neanderthals.

The findings confirm the cliché of "feminine beauty plus masculine money equals love", famously lampooned by the parody chat-show host Mrs Merton when she asked the dancer Debbie McGee: "What first attracted you to short, balding millionaire Paul Daniels?"

They also seem to bless the Daniels-McGee union, along with that of Bernie Ecclestone, the Formula 1 chief, and Slavica, the former Armani model; Howard Stern, the controversial American disc jockey, and Beth Ostrosky, the model; and many more besides.

I don't want wealth, and I really don't mind if they are not George Clooney...what I want, at this stage of the game, is a compassionate companion....someone who loves travel....and wouldn't fear letting me see who he is....he would be confident not to take disagreements as a personal attack against his character.

I met one fella thru a newspaper add, way back when....and when we were talking on the phone...he was shocked when I said, it really doesn't matter to me what you look like...the longer I date someone, if they possess the right stuff, then they become more and more beautiful to me. He didn't have a clue....

I think, people today put way to much emphasis on money and beauty, and end up with something they surely are unhappy with...money doesn't make you happy, and neither do looks. If your not happy and at peace with life, nothing will "make" you happy, and if you believe it will, you will only set yourself and your partner up to fail...cuz when the real person starts showing, there is no amount of money that could make me stay if they didn't possess real character.

Hugs for this thread
Creme

Old 09-04-2007, 06:31 AM

799 posts, read 2,168,670 times
Isn't "scientific speed-dating study" an oxymoron??? Since when did "speed dating" qualify as anything scientific?
Women get criticized for wanting a successful man, but then if they go and get a career and are self supporting, they are told "women don't need men because they can work for themselves"...that's not true. A lot of women don't want to be dependent in that way, and want to chose someone because they desire them.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:36 AM

820 posts, read 2,868,302 times
I so agree with your post cremebrulee!! As a woman, money actually plays no part in my being attracted to a man. I have only been in love one time since I was divorced. The man hardly had a pot to pee in as they say! However, he had such absolute character, compassion for fellow man, wonderful qualities as a dad, and a wonderful work ethic doing something he loved and valued. He was a true man in every sense of the word to me! I could have cared less that he'd never own a big house or have bought me a huge diamond.

I'm currently "talking" to a guy that I've known for years. He's comfortable, but not rich as far as I know. I don't know where the relationship will go, but I do know that his bank account has nothing to do with any attraction or our relationship.

I'm hardly a model neither.... so perhaps some men look for actualy qualities in a woman besides that as well. I sure hope so!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 AM

27,339 posts, read 27,391,872 times
I dont know, personally, I find that men 'with a lot of money' tend to try and 'buy' your affection to keep you happy while theyre out 'playing'. Ive seen this in many people, where men seem to think materialism replaces the companionship. But again, this is what Ive seen, and may not necessarily apply to 'all' men, in general.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:56 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
I so agree with your post cremebrulee!! As a woman, money actually plays no part in my being attracted to a man. I have only been in love one time since I was divorced. The man hardly had a pot to pee in as they say! However, he had such absolute character, compassion for fellow man, wonderful qualities as a dad, and a wonderful work ethic doing something he loved and valued. He was a true man in every sense of the word to me! I could have cared less that he'd never own a big house or have bought me a huge diamond.

I'm currently "talking" to a guy that I've known for years. He's comfortable, but not rich as far as I know. I don't know where the relationship will go, but I do know that his bank account has nothing to do with any attraction or our relationship.

I'm hardly a model neither.... so perhaps some men look for actualy qualities in a woman besides that as well. I sure hope so!
Loved your post....I used to be attractive....and found that men lied to me, just to get close...now, I've been told that I sell myself as unattainable....haven't met a man yet, that I'd want to give up my new found freedom for. Most men have been raised by mother's who did everything for their sons and made them so needy...I don't EVER want to be a mother to another man. My husbands said, I was a great wife...well, apparently not enough to make them want to live a life that included fadelity to self and family. They were very attractive men, but very insecure...one of them told me...they read the paper just so they'd have something to talk about...b/c he never experienced life, culture, art...and all the other aspects that are out there, just waiting for us to grab onto.

No, I was never rich, so you can't miss something you never had....and money, won't make me happy....neither will looks....I know me

Hugs
Creme

Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Loved your post....I used to be attractive....and found that men lied to me, just to get close...now, I've been told that I sell myself as unattainable....haven't met a man yet, that I'd want to give up my new found freedom for. Most men have been raised by mother's who did everything for their sons and made them so needy...I don't EVER want to be a mother to another man. My husbands said, I was a great wife...well, apparently not enough to make them want to live a life that included fadelity to self and family. They were very attractive men, but very insecure...one of them told me...they read the paper just so they'd have something to talk about...b/c he never experienced life, culture, art...and all the other aspects that are out there, just waiting for us to grab onto.

No, I was never rich, so you can't miss something you never had....and money, won't make me happy....neither will looks....I know me

Hugs
Creme
You, my dear lady, are a GEM of a person!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
Quote:

that makes sense. but the world of emotions is not about making sense. therefore i disagree. it should work like that in a rational world. these are certainly the attractions that should propell us thru the experience but attend any 12 step, speak to any counselor and you will find that people are often attracted for wrong reasons and they do it unconsciously. physical beauty attracts both in men and women. age is a key factor in that attraction. that is clear. as to money, people should be attracted to money but-----women even good looking ones will often seek out mr wrong who is clearly at the low end and not motivated to earn or keep money. this is attraction to mr wrong for reasons of her family of origin. its totally unconscious behavior. if you are not careful when you get wealthy you may start meeting women that think they should love you because you are mr right, but of course they dont because they are really attracted to mr wrong. their families and friends keep telling them they should date you mr right, but their attraction issues lie elsewhere mainly mr wrong, and they feel very guilty about all of this. in this area lies a rich field for denial issues.
from a personal level i can say that i did become wealthy but that did not affect my dating habits at all. i was not a girl magnet back then and am not now.
stephen s
san diego,ca

Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
I find the responses in this thread amusing. From the article:

Quote:
After the session, in which each potential pair of subjects met briefly and recorded their interest in dating one another again, the researchers compared what they said they were looking for with what they actually did. In their self-assessments, subjects claimed their ideal mate would be similar to themselves. However, in the dating session, men and women acted in line with evolutionary theory.

"We found that what men and women say they want is not the same as what they actually choose and that the actual choices made by men and women accord with a rough evolutionary-predicted trade-off, in this case between men's overall mate value [combining their wealth and status, family commitment and health] and women's self-perceived attractiveness," said Mr Todd.

Women dominate this trade-off, he said, because "men are much less discriminating".
So to sum it up..
A study comes out, which says that women are attracted to wealth, despite the fact that they claim not to be.

In the follwing discussion, some women then proceed to claim that they are not attracted to wealth.. which is exactly in-line with the findings of the study.

Personally, I've found a large amount of wealthy, unattractive men married to attractive women. Likewise, I've seen tons of poor, yet attractive men, who were married to unattractive women. Do y'all think this is a coincidence, or am I the only one who commonly sees this?

Last edited by anonymous; 09-04-2007 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-04-2007, 11:03 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,633 times
Quote:

I think this just means that men AND women can both be shallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships