Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 PM

943 posts, read 2,280,149 times

Advertisements

This has happened to me three times. I know I am looking washed out and grey, and old, have serious health problems. Walk with a cane, wearing dresses. But this is ironic since he is 5 and half years younger, but he does dress and act in a younger fashion. I feel like I am 20 years older then husband, as it is.

Anyhow this neighbor lady came up to me and asked HOW IS YOUR SON DOING? [this has happened to me three times] and its getting a bit much. I was friendly about it and laughed. Didnt blame her or nothing.

I'm 41 and people are guesstimating my age to be around 65. That is bad.
Now I love older people so on one hand this does not bother me, because many older people have been my closest friends--two friends of mine that are close, one is 65 and 75, but I need to liven up life or something if I am coming across this old, sick or not.

I even had the thought my mother looks younger then I do. She dyes her hair while Im allergic to dye, and greying FAST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
To me, it sounds like you can really use a make-over. You need someone who will be honest with you, who will help you assess what you can do to update your look and appear more attractive.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
This has happened to me three times. I know I am looking washed out and grey, and old, have serious health problems. Walk with a cane, wearing dresses. But this is ironic since he is 5 and half years younger, but he does dress and act in a younger fashion. I feel like I am 20 years older then husband, as it is.

Anyhow this neighbor lady came up to me and asked HOW IS YOUR SON DOING? [this has happened to me three times] and its getting a bit much. I was friendly about it and laughed. Didnt blame her or nothing.

Now I love older people so on one hand this does not bother me, because many older people have been my closest friends--two friends of mine that are close, one is 65 and 75, but I need to liven up life or something if I am coming across this old, sick or not.

I even had the thought my mother looks younger then I do. She dyes her hair while Im allergic to dye, and greying FAST.
Oh no! Time for a bit of a makeover my dear! I'm sure there must be hair products you could use that you wouldn't be allergic to - go talk to a hairdresser

Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,170 times
You could get a more flattering haircut.

And if you can't stand hair coloring, you could perhaps use a color rinse. The Roux brand makes a variety of color rinses.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh no! Time for a bit of a makeover my dear! I'm sure there must be hair products you could use that you wouldn't be allergic to - go talk to a hairdresser

Yeah Im going to look into GREEN products. Some friend said she knows a hairdresser she lives out of state who uses all "green" stuff, got to be something I am not allergic to there. What is weird is just 5 years ago, I used to have people tell me I looked MUCH YOUNGER then I really was! {I had health problems back then} I think moving here acouple years ago took some of the spirit out of me or something.

I do want a new hair style, and hope I can get some glasses--cool ones. {I am just starting to need them} I probably dress too much like an art teacher hippie, which translates into OLD for some people too.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
Quote:

Get yourself a nice modern hairstyle wig.

My beloved Mom had a bunch of wigs.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
You could get a more flattering haircut.

And if you can't stand hair coloring, you could perhaps use a color rinse. The Roux brand makes a variety of color rinses.
Ok Ill check those out.

Hawk I would love to get a wig, a friend of mine suggested that, since my hair is thinner from some health stuff.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
Quote:
Ok Ill check those out.

Hawk I would love to get a wig, a friend of mine suggested that, since my hair is thinner from some health stuff.

Yep, i didn't know Mom was wearing a wig, but she was most of the time.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
Obviously if you have health issues you are going to feel 'dragged down.'
I'm sorry about this. People really do not realize 'when they feel good' it's a gift, especially when we get older.

No wonder old people are often cranky if they have aches, pains or illness a lot!

Add to that you 'may be' depressed due to your health issues and 'how you perceive yourself.'

Believe me, I know. It's been a year and some of unemployment hell for me and I often feel horrible. So much of our perception is wrapped in what we look like or how we feel.

Good luck to you. (sorry I don't have better advice other than empathy).

Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
How about some vitamins and a makeover? Wouldn't hurt to try.

Some people are clueless too. A friend of mine was out on the lake when she was 21 or 22. A friend of her father's came up and asked if her dad was coming to the lake that weekend. She answered then this person asked if she was her father's MOTHER. Now how could anyone make that drastic a mistake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships