Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

This isn't a discussion about what the difference between 'infatuation' and being in love is. Well, I guess that is bound to be brought up yet again...I suppose the more I think about it, the more I think the word 'love' doesn't really have a place in the romantic world.

For me real love is 'agape' love, familial love, love between close friends - love that involves sacrificing for the other person, where their wellbeing is linked to your own.

Almost all romantic love, to me, is just strong infatuation - a sexual attraction, a strong crush. That's why I've liked girls but always felt it slightly silly to say I'm 'in love' with them.

To me, to be truly in love would require being with that person for a long time and/or knowing that person inside out, knowing their soul. Kind of where romantic and agape love meet.

I'm not saying this doesn't exist, but it's not something I've personally experienced.

I believe most relationships today are based on a combination of lust and butterflies in the stomach type high-schoolish love. There is no stronger foundation than that, that's why they come and go with the wind.

Also another thing, I might talk about in another thread is ego and wanting to feel loved as a basis for a relationship.

Last edited by Trimac20; 04-17-2012 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
I agree with your thought process in general. Real love for someone is far deeper than attraction or infatuation. Some people will confuse those for real love too, and I think that is when they get into trouble. For me, a real, deep love (going with the concept of agape love which you brought up) is more than a feeling or emotion. It is a conscious decision with actions.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I agree with your thought process in general. Real love for someone is far deeper than attraction or infatuation. Some people will confuse those for real love too, and I think that is when they get into trouble. For me, a real, deep love (going with the concept of agape love which you brought up) is more than a feeling or emotion. It is a conscious decision with actions.
Yes you summed it up more succinctly than me. That's why like, I never totally bought into this whole idea of celebrating romantic love so much. For me, romance was no different to any of the other sensual pleasures - for me, liking someone is like, a strong liking of them physically, or the thrill of meeting somebody new, but nothing deeper, more substantial.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,025,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. That instant rush of attraction, butterflies, etc. is not what a relationship is based on. So many people believe that it is, and once those feelings (naturally) subside, they think the love is over and it's time to move on to the next person who makes them feel that way.

What I really cherish with my SO (and this may partially be shaped by my ex and previous marriage), is the absolute, peace, calm and comfort I have when I'm with him. He loves me, and encompassed as part of "love", he respects me, cares for my wellbeing, and accepts me for who I am, and vice versa. IMO, that is what relationships should strive for.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,753 times
looks like infatuation to me, seeing as most of these people don't stay together very long and bounce from one to the next claiming to be 'in love' with each as they go along.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. That instant rush of attraction, butterflies, etc. is not what a relationship is based on. So many people believe that it is, and once those feelings (naturally) subside, they think the love is over and it's time to move on to the next person who makes them feel that way.

What I really cherish with my SO (and this may partially be shaped by my ex and previous marriage), is the absolute, peace, calm and comfort I have when I'm with him. He loves me, and encompassed as part of "love", he respects me, cares for my wellbeing, and accepts me for who I am, and vice versa. IMO, that is what relationships should strive for.
I wonder if that's what people often call 'the spark.' Like, 'the spark went out of our relationship.' Well I'm not sure so it's normal for the 'butterflies in the stomach' feeling to last 20 years into a marriage, or even 2 months into a relationship. It might for some, but let's not confuse it with true love.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
Infatuation just means it doesn't last. Love means it does last. Infatuation is also a bit more selfish than love and love is more settled.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Infatuation just means it doesn't last. Love means it does last. Infatuation is also a bit more selfish than love and love is more settled.
Maybe a lot of relationships straddle the line between infatuation and love but never quite cross it into 'true love.' i.e. something that lasts a year or so. Of course duration doesn't tell you everything about the anatomy of the relationship.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,108 times
Triangular theory of love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,025,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder if that's what people often call 'the spark.' Like, 'the spark went out of our relationship.' Well I'm not sure so it's normal for the 'butterflies in the stomach' feeling to last 20 years into a marriage, or even 2 months into a relationship. It might for some, but let's not confuse it with true love.
Yes, I think that's it. I think some people use the term meaning that the butterflies feeling is gone, so they're looking for the next person to bring that feeling. However, I think others use the term to indicate not that something is missing in the relationship in a broader way - that one or both aren't putting in the same effort anymore. A relationship isn't about having that spark constantly, but it's too easy to sit back and let the stresses of life take over and take your partner or relationship for granted altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships