Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times

Advertisements

I have done this twice. The first time, we had already known each other. He was in MD, I was in OK. We saw each other every 6 weeks for about 4 days. That lasted about a year, and we are still friends..the second time, we started out long distance. He was in NY, I was in OK, but was transitioning back to NJ. We were together for 5 months when I moved back to NJ. I broke it off after I moved back. He was 15 years older than me, and had a lot of issues, plus he expected me to come into NY all the time to see him (he would never come to NJ)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
a year.
work and waiting for visa's paperwork to go through kept us apart for a little while. it actually wasn't THAT excruciating for us, only the first month of adjusting to the fact that we wouldn't have a face to face relationship for awhile.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
We were apart for 5-6 months I 2007 when my husband was in police academy in New Hampshire and I lived in Florida. NH police academy is one of the toughest in the country. We got a 3 minute phone call once a week on a Wed night. The phone automatically disconnected after the 3 mins, mid sentence or not. He was not allowed computers or cell phones while living on base there. It was rough but we made it through.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 AM

63 posts, read 92,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Well, I am in a LDR right now and I am honestly the happiest I've been with a girl in a long time than I have probably even ever been. I feel like we're meant to be, even if its just for the moment and not forever but we really do enjoy our relationship. We're more than just boyfriend and girlfriend we're also best friends. We joke constantly, shop, talk to each other about our problems, and do everything together. We don't care about having our "guy time" or "girl time". We really do have a great general understanding of each other. We don't care about marriage so that's not something we are even thinking of but as much as we love each other, the one thing that test our love is the distance.

That's the one single factor of course that test anyone's true love in a LDR. We've known each other (personally)for years but became an item this past September. Since then, we have seen each other for a total of about almost 4 weeks. We live in the same country, in the same time zone, but just states away (I am in NY and she's in FL). I last saw her in March and we planned to see each other in July but now that might not be possible till August due to some sensitive matters that arrived that is mandatory I take care of.

Needless to say neither one of us is happy about that and it's got us both very down.

Sometimes I think though, how hard it must be for people who live in other countries or for army wives who might not see their husbands or boyfriends for a year or more.

So basically,I just want to know for the people who have been in LDR's what was the longest you've been without seeing the one you love? And how was it?
Knew my now husband for 8 months online, married him 4 days after meeting him in person for the first time. Been with him for 21 days after. He went back to the states and left me here in PH. He visited me again after 14 months, we've been together for another 21 days. And then he left, we are planning to meet again by early next year, it's like 13 months after his last visit.

Being in an LDR is one of the hardest thing a couple could be, two people need lots of patience, loyalty, faithfulness and trust with each other to be able to keep this kind. It's hard so it's up to both of you to think on how to constantly communicate.. Which means really constant, chat, email, text, calls and all those other means just to talk and have time with each other.

Once my paper gets done, I'll quit banking and move with him, as it is still right for a couple to stay and grow with their marriage together...

I love my husband and though the situation isn't so ideal, still have no regrets being in an LDR.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
More power to you. I could not do it.

Last edited by srjth; 08-23-2013 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 11:02 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Families in the military do it all the time (not seeing each other for many months)

Old 08-24-2013, 12:32 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
I dated a guy who lived in N.J. (when I lived in Albany NY).
I had no transport so it was up to him to come see me.

That lasted a mere 6 or 7 months, it was too hard for me to cope when he wasn't around.
We were really into each other, so it was astounding difficult for me to break up with him,
but I was falling apart with the long absences (though I admit my life was a mess at that point anyway).

Sorry that I can't recall longest time between his visits,
it was nearly 20 years ago-
I'd guess a month.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:20 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,331 times
I think I could do a long distance, yeah it would be tough but if you have a connection with someone I think it's 100% worth giving it a try

Old 03-10-2015, 04:04 AM

1 posts, read 968 times
Ive been with the same girl for 4 years we met on a game ik long distance are hard but we have made it threw it all we never lost contact with each other even though we live on the other side of the world we plan to be together for a very long time theres nothing i wouldnt do to see her smile shes my everything my perfect 2 lately we have been video chatting n sending each pictures its cute to see her blush n smile on the cam even when shes sad i dont stop till i see her beautiful smile without her i wouldnt want to look forward to the next day shes my beautiful girlfriend that i plan to go to n marry in the future i act strange n funny around her just to make her laugh Skye+Kevin=Forever n Alwayz

Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
About eight weeks. We were apart for three and four months, but there was a reprieve in both when we were able to see one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships