Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 PM

270 posts, read 488,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
I used to think that proper etiquette dictated responding to all messages, including ones with people you intend to reject. However, my perspective changed when a female friend of mine showed me her pof mailbox. Now, she's an "average" looking girl and didn't have any revealing pictures of her on her profile. Needless to say, her mailbox was stuffed with messages from the past two days! It was not feasible for her to reply to all the messages she received, even from guys with good intentions.

As a guy, back when I did have a profile, I wouldn't get too many messages, unless they were replies from messages I sent. Because of that, I did respond to each one, be it to maintain interest in them or to reject them. Online dating is just so lopsided in terms of male to female ratio. It's why I stopped doing it.

Now, what I don't like are the women who say that they will reply back if you put substance into your message, but don't. Don't make promises or guarantees that you can't keep.
Ok so what did your "average" looking friend have on her profile?? I get hardly ANY messages on pof or OKC and cannot for the life of me figure out why not...I hear these myths of "average" looking girls getting 40 messages a day but I'm lucky if I get 1...

And in response to the OP...I don't reply to the ones I'm not interested in. For one thing, I never get responses from guys that aren't interested, so I figure they assume that no response=not interested. Plus, I've had a couple of guys get harassing after a reject email soooo yeh, not worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
If they are local and most of my criteria are present, I usually respond.

If they are from out of the country (Russia, Philippines, Mexico), then HELL NO.

I've done this thing about 3 times for 3- or 6-month increments because they kept lowering their offering price and found that it doesn't work. When you compare this venue to having met a spouse/mate in college or in your neighborhood, it's WORK! There were only TWO times that I was disappointed / borderline torqued that I didn't get a response. One was from an attractive Italian girl from northern NJ with a BBA/MBA who was bilingual and another one was a feminine schoolteacher in metro Houston who originated from Louisiana and appeared to have French Catholic roots.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I always responded even if not interested, if someone wrote something TO me (as opposed to just sending me their profile without a personal message). I just said something like "You seem like a great guy but I don't think we're a match. Best of luck to you".

I got many replies back thanking me for being honest. I always hated being ignored if I wrote someone, especially if I took the time and effort to write something personalized based on their profile, etc. so I don't like doing that to others. Plus I think it's plain good Karma to treat people as people.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:35 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
Ok so what did your "average" looking friend have on her profile?? I get hardly ANY messages on pof or OKC and cannot for the life of me figure out why not...I hear these myths of "average" looking girls getting 40 messages a day but I'm lucky if I get 1...

And in response to the OP...I don't reply to the ones I'm not interested in. For one thing, I never get responses from guys that aren't interested, so I figure they assume that no response=not interested. Plus, I've had a couple of guys get harassing after a reject email soooo yeh, not worth it!
im assuming your a women. does your profile have a picture? if not thats the reason right there you get no responses if so is it a good picture or is it you hiding behind a tree or did you edit it to look like a negative or something crazy like that?

if your a women, have a few pictures and have actually filled out your profile i find it impossible to believe your not getting at least a half dozen responses a day if not more.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:42 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I used online matchmaking sites about 15 years ago for a few years. I didn't reply back to guys I wasn't interested in. 1. there were way too many emails for me to respond to and 2. I found that when I did try and be polite and respond, most guys took that as "she's interested because she responded" and then they wouldn't leave me alone.

I met my husband online. He wrote me twice, I didn't reply back. He didn't give up and wrote me a 3rd time. (He wasn't the only one to write me multiple times despite my not responding.) I can't recall exactly what he wrote, but it had to have been some funny, smart a$s comment that it was my last chance, because I wrote him back. The rest is history.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
I always respond, unless the message is nasty. It may be to say thanks, but I don't think we're a match, or perhaps that we may not be a match, but perhaps could be friends. Usually there's no response to those messages, but it can develop nicely occasionally.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
u dont have to respond to lies or liars and that covers a lota ground on eharmony.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:48 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,414 times
I used to think it was rude not to respond. But, then I would get the blatantly sexual comments that were rude, or I would respond politely and they would think it was encouragement to keep trying, or I would get called a sell-out or gold digger. Now, I just choose not to respond. I would rather they think that I am rude than deal with the nastiness from a few.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 PM

270 posts, read 488,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
im assuming your a women. does your profile have a picture? if not thats the reason right there you get no responses if so is it a good picture or is it you hiding behind a tree or did you edit it to look like a negative or something crazy like that?

if your a women, have a few pictures and have actually filled out your profile i find it impossible to believe your not getting at least a half dozen responses a day if not more.
I am female, and I do have several photos posted. I suppose if I posted ones that showed my chest, I'd get a lot more responses, but since I want an actual relationship, I've chosen not to show any pictures like that.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Now, what I don't like are the women who say that they will reply back if you put substance into your message, but don't. Don't make promises or guarantees that you can't keep.

^^ You must know that will probably only be IF they feel an attraction to you. I mean, it's just brutal honesty. Yes I would like substance in a profile also, but that wont matter one wit If Im not attracted to your picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships