Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:27 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,791 times

Advertisements

I'm making this post because my youngest son just started working, hes 14 and got hired as a bagboy this summer at a local supermarket. I just found out through my wife that my son had an encounter with the assistant manager a few weeks ago, he was outside getting grocery carts in the 90 plus degree heat and decided to pull his shirt out of his pants and was spotted by the assistant manager, when he came in to the store he was taken aside and given a stern warning, he made an attempt at a later date at small talk with him to no avail.
I found out this weekend that every time he sees the Asst Mgr now he addresses him by the wrong name, like Hi Albert, or hows it going Ernie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 07:39 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I'm making this post because my youngest son just started working, hes 14 and got hired as a bagboy this summer at a local supermarket. I just found out through my wife that my son had an encounter with the assistant manager a few weeks ago, he was outside getting grocery carts in the 90 plus degree heat and decided to pull his shirt out of his pants and was spotted by the assistant manager, when he came in to the store he was taken aside and given a stern warning, he made an attempt at a later date at small talk with him to no avail.
I found out this weekend that every time he sees the Asst Mgr now he addresses him by the wrong name, like Hi Albert, or hows it going Ernie.

You can't deal with people as such...I'd say move on...find another job...and to heck with this guy.

The only way, is to go over his head and report him, which of couse, then, the working climate would probably be worse. It just doesn't seem that serious or worth it, yanno?

It is normal for us as parents to want to protect our kids...but you may do better by him, by simply letting him work this one out on his own...and if he comes to you with it, then please try and look at this from both sides of the coin. What I'm saying is, don't give your son a reason to defy the boss...let him know that maybe the guy is taking his job just a little to serious, but he is still the boss....

I dunno, just my thoughts...

Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,751 times
I agree with the store policy that shirts should remain tucked in. But I don't agree with the assistant manager's handling of the situation. The stern warning is okay; but not the aftermath. I would make this situation a good life lesson for your son. I would coach your son to ask the Asst Manager to speak to him after or before his next shift. Assuming the Asst Mgr agrees to meet with him, I'd have your son tell him that he now knows that untucked shirts are not allowed and that if won't happen again. I'd then have your son tell the Asst Mgr. that he (your son) thinks that the Asst Mgr's treatment of him is uncalled for and that he would like to be treated fairly and with respect. I'd tel your son that throughout his life, he will encounter jerks at work and that in life, we can't quit jobs every time we encounter one. That's unrealistic. We have to learn how to deal with conflict at the workplace and speaking with his Asst. Mgr is the first step in doing that. If that doesn't work, your son should then have a conversation with the Assistant Manager's boss (store manager?). Perhaps this will all lead to your so wanting to quit the store, but at least you will have taught him to diplomatically stick up for himself and not let jerks bully him out of job. Hope that helps.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,791 times
I agree there are rules to follow and I'm enjoying the fact that hes learning to deal with people in real life. I beleive emotional development and learning to interact with adults of all maturity levels helps kids have a better understanding of how life really works. You have to be able to deal with all kinds of people, can't always pick your bosses!
Personally I think his ability to disarm the man by taking away the importance of his standing in the company allowed my son to make light of the situation and save face in a hostile environment, hes a bright boy.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times
Depending if the store is unionized you would be surprised at some of the ridiculous rules that apply and it sounds like Mr.asst. mgr is looking for a promotion by "bullying" the younger employees and attempting to make himself look more important. I've witnessed it firsthand...

I worked in a bank located in a grocery store. We were not affiliated with the store and or the union. We rented the space. But we still had reprimands from the store managers.
They had no say in what we could do or not do...but they thought differently.
That stopped after we all complained about the management.
I've come to realize that some take their seniority and level on the ladder a little too seriously.
I digress...
Good for your son for standing up for himself.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:09 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times
Grasshopper has to learn the rules, learns the pecking order and that many bosses are what they are. This is a time in his life to listen, observe, comply, and learn.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Grasshopper has to learn the rules, learns the pecking order and that many bosses are what they are. This is a time in his life to listen, observe, comply, and learn.
I agree to an extent...I've had mean bosses that were dreadful to deal with...but if my 14 yr old had a mean boss, I wouldn't make her or him put up with it. But I'd let them make the decision.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
My opinion is, that's life, we all have to deal with mean bosses sometimes, especially when just starting out. It's not unlike dealing with bullies. Your son can either: deal with it, try to find another job, or just quit.
If nothing else, it will be a good learning experience for your son.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 PM

145 posts, read 519,320 times
I'd ask your son if he expects to have a job equal to that of the Asst. Mngr. when he is that mans age. If your son says no then the man becomes a caution for not attaining ones goals. If your son respects the position but not the man, then he has a mentor for how not to do the job. The man is small for his belittling of an entry level employee.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:15 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
I am all grown up, and new rules are made everyday that we go into work. It is ridiculous. Yes, he should follow mandatory rules. No, the AM should not act that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships