Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:18 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times

Advertisements

One of the biggest problems and liabilities to marriage today is the high rate of divorce. I wish to be married someday but my biggest fear of marriage is divorce, especially after seeing how truly ugly it can be in my own family tree.

More often than not, divorce does not seem preventable.

More often than not there is an income and spending inequality in the relationship, and this factor tends to make divorces much worse than it should be. There are all kinds of things that make a divorce financially miserable, including rash spending by one spouse prior to the completion of the divorce.

Either way in a divorce, often times one side believes that the divorce was not fair for them.

It seems plenty of problems and headaches could be spared in a divorce if the spouses have relatively equal income and spending habits until the divorce is over, making the divorce more fair.

That isn't the case for the most part, since people don't marry for money.

So how can spouses prevent financial theft in a divorce when income and spending habits are different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Prenup. Dont leave home without one.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 PM

270 posts, read 409,504 times
Yeah, what findly said. PRE-NUP and separate finances during the marriage.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Let me get this straight, you're not married, not contemplating marriage and worried about divorce?
Why would someone want to get involved with you if that's your focus?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGirl View Post
Yeah, what findly said. PRE-NUP and separate finances during the marriage.

How does separate finances help anything? In many (most?) states marital assets (those obtained after the marriage) are shared equally.

I think the only way to solve this is to be way more selective about who you marry.

You marry a gold digging spend thrift who refuses to work, dont be surprised when she takes you to the cleaners.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
How does separate finances help anything? In many (most?) states marital assets (those obtained after the marriage) are shared equally.

I think the only way to solve this is to be way more selective about who you marry.

You marry a gold digging spend thrift who refuses to work, dont be surprised when she takes you to the cleaners.
Not just females do that.
One of the reasons why I divorced, probably the biggest reason, was that he was comfortable with maxed out credit cards.
I'm not comfortable unless I'm solvent, no debt.

He's still in debt to his ears, I have absolutely no debt.
If I wanted to, I could retire today.
Sadly, he'll probably have to work until he dies.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Not just females do that.
One of the reasons why I divorced, probably the biggest reason, was that he was comfortable with maxed out credit cards.
I'm not comfortable unless I'm solvent, no debt.

He's still in debt to his ears, I have absolutely no debt.
If I wanted to, I could retire today.
Sadly, he'll probably have to work until he dies.
Certainly does work the other way as well.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 PM

566 posts, read 958,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

So how can spouses prevent financial theft in a divorce when income and spending habits are different?
By not getting married. If you are in love with a chick, just live with her and have a bf/gf relationship. Avoid marrying her because if it doesn't work out, you can simply walk away and won't have to deal with any legal or financial issues.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM

270 posts, read 409,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Because your pre-nup (notice I said you also need a pre-nup, not just separate finances) can reserve the legal right of both parties to retain separate, private (not joint) ownership of assets/property acquired after the marriage. That's what a good pre-nup does for you, in addition to spelling out how you might divvy things up if you divorce. I know, because I had this in my pre-nup. There WAS no marital assets, no joint property except real property, which had a very specific clause about ownership (how it was to be acquired, how it would be dissolved if we divorced). We had to make sure we had wills in place leaving everything to the other, since there was NO JOINT PROPERTY.

Quote:
Nope, you can legally protect yourself before you marry. And SHOULD. Lots of people get nasty surprises after marriage -- smart, observant, selective people.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGirl View Post
Because your pre-nup (notice I said you also need a pre-nup, not just separate finances) can reserve the legal right of both parties to retain separate, private (not joint) ownership of assets/property acquired after the marriage. That's what a good pre-nup does for you, in addition to spelling out how you might divvy things up if you divorce. I know, because I had this in my pre-nup.
Forgetting about whether this can be done or not in all states, or overruled by the courts......who the hell would sign that other than a gold digger who brings nothing of value to the table and is expecting to be taken care of by someone with significant financial means, and leave them when they no longer provide that?

"Hey, we are going to be a "team" but, we arent going to have any "team" achievements, nor is there the slightest motivation for you to be commited or faithful to the team"

I can imagine that marriage.

"I think we should get a green couch" "No, I think red" "Well, Ill get the green couch with MY money, and you get the red couch with YOURS"

"Fine, well, my red couch is going in the living room"

"No it isnt, MY money paid for the living room, you can put it in the kitchen, where YOUR money paid for it"

"Fine, Im getting a divorce then and taking my red couch"

"Fine"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships