Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 AM

161 posts, read 394,931 times

Advertisements

How do you know a guy is just not interested or potentially interested but still figuring out his feelings (so he's lukewarm but positive or taking things slow, or has intimacy issues or whatever)?

And more importantly, does that distinction even matter?

I had a situation where I met up with a guy, and it was pretty much a casual date. I was trying to figure out which category a particular guy fell in because while we definitely both had a lot of fun that evening, I think he seemed noncommittal afterwards.

I figured maybe he likes me but not enough--I don't mind, because I know it's early on and he's cool enough that I'd want to be friends with him at least. I asked him later on oh, what'd you think of dinner, etc? And I made it clear that I'd like to keep getting to know him and just continuing to keep things friendly, doing what we're currently doing. And he just started mumbling, oh, had a good time, we should do it again sometime (super flaky sounding)...you're a really nice person, and let's just see how things develop as they develop and then awkwardly had to go, saying "we'll be in touch" (again, another flaky comment). I figure he needs some space after that conversation.

If he just doesn't want to talk again PERIOD, I wish he'd just tell me that straight out. If he falls in that latter category, well, I think he's interesting enough I'd actually want to be friends with him even if nothing romantic comes out of it. But how am I supposed to tell the difference? I can't wait around forever.

I would still like to meet up with him, but I see him more as a new friend and need to look into other options for actual dating. I just don't know if guys really go on dates looking for new friend girls though.

I know I'm overanalyzing everything, but just had to get it out of my system somehow. Do noncommittal guys ever come around? Would appreciate any thoughts on this topic or situation....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:43 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,225 times
Noncommittal (players, commitment-phobes) guys will come around for the girl who's just right.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:43 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoor54 View Post
How do you know a guy is just not interested or potentially interested but still figuring out his feelings (so he's lukewarm but positive or taking things slow, or has intimacy issues or whatever)?
I had a situation where I met up with a guy, and it was pretty much a casual date. I was trying to figure out which category a particular guy fell in because while we definitely both had a lot of fun that evening, I think he seemed noncommittal afterwards.
I figured maybe he likes me but not enough--I don't mind, because I know it's early on and he's cool enough that I'd want to be friends with him at least. I asked him later on oh, what'd you think of dinner, etc? And I made it clear that I'd like to keep getting to know him and just continuing to keep things friendly, doing what we're currently doing. And he just started mumbling, oh, had a good time, we should do it again sometime (super flaky sounding)...you're a really nice person, and let's just see how things develop as they develop and then awkwardly had to go, saying "we'll be in touch" (again, another flaky comment). I figure he needs some space after that conversation.
If he just doesn't want to talk again PERIOD, I wish he'd just tell me that straight out. If he falls in that latter category, well, I think he's interesting enough I'd actually want to be friends with him even if nothing romantic comes out of it. But how am I supposed to tell the difference? I can't wait around forever.
I would still like to meet up with him, but I see him more as a new friend and need to look into other options for actual dating. I just don't know if guys really go on dates looking for new friend girls though.
I know I'm overanalyzing everything, but just had to get it out of my system somehow. Do noncommittal guys ever come around? Would appreciate any thoughts on this topic or situation....
SLOW DOWN!! The more you push a guy into an answer about a commitment or no commitment, he is going to run. There is a period of time when couples get to know each other better and it won't happen if you are pushing him into more than he is ready to accept right now. Play a little hard to get. Sometimes men enjoy the chase more than being able to have you at his beck and call. Trust me as an old gal who has been married 3 times and is presently married to someone 10 years younger than me...stop pushing and when all is said in done if he just ends up being a good friend, what's the harm!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 AM

11,366 posts, read 9,279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoor54 View Post

You all only had one date, right? Lots of first dates do not work out.

His "mumbling" tells me he's not interested and doesn't quite know how to tell you. He should have never said "we'll be in touch" when he really didn't mean it.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 AM

161 posts, read 394,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
SLOW DOWN!! The more you push a guy into an answer about a commitment or no commitment, he is going to run. There is a period of time when couples get to know each other better and it won't happen if you are pushing him into more than he is ready to accept right now. Play a little hard to get. Sometimes men enjoy the chase more than being able to have you at his beck and call. Trust me as an old gal who has been married 3 times and is presently married to someone 10 years younger than me...stop pushing and when all is said in done if he just ends up being a good friend, what's the harm!
Well, I wasn't asking for commitment - it was only the first date, I get that. I was just asking about what he thought. I can see how it seems a bit direct, but I really don't like feeling like I'm in limbo. I assume if a guy's interested in you romantically, he'll follow up quickly within a few days to a week. If he's still figuring things out and making things casual, when should you expect to hear from him? Just let him get back to you if/when he's ready?

I wish guys who aren't interested were just more direct instead of ignoring things or saying things they don't mean. If they don't know and are noncommittal, can't they just say they don't know? Dodging either question is a bit immature and inconsiderate (even if not intentional) in my opinion.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,809 times
Red- these guys will stay that way until they meet a woman who makes them feel differently. Just becasue you want to be one of those, it won't make you one. In the end, the right combination will not leave one party wondering about these things.
Unfortunately, I have seen it happen where the urge for non-monogamy is so strong, even the best of women end up discarded for a "concept" or the fear that the grass will be greener.

There is no magic formula and no one answer.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,232,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Red- these guys will stay that way until they meet a woman who makes them feel differently. Just becasue you want to be one of those, it won't make you one. In the end, the right combination will not leave one party wondering about these things.
Unfortunately, I have seen it happen where the urge for non-monogamy is so strong, even the best of women end up discarded for a "concept" or the fear that the grass will be greener.

There is no magic formula and no one answer.

^ This is a really good post.

I wish I had realized that sooner when it came to past relationships...Wasted alot of time.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 AM

415 posts, read 615,740 times
He'll change when he's 40, still single, Megan Fox hasn't shown up on his doorstep, he realizes he's going to die alone, is bald and getting fat, and should probably settle.

Honestly, I think people of both genders who act that way should just be dumped on an island somewhere so those of us who are adults can find someone without wasting our time on them.

I'm really tired of the crap games my generation likes to play. Why is it so hard to communicate?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
He'll change when he's 40, still single, Megan Fox hasn't shown up on his doorstep, he realizes he's going to die alone, is bald and getting fat, and should probably settle.

Honestly, I think people of both genders who act that way should just be dumped on an island somewhere so those of us who are adults can find someone without wasting our time on them.

I'm really tired of the crap games my generation likes to play. Why is it so hard to communicate?
Not necessarily. I am 43, just dated a 54 year old man, very family oriented and marriage-minded. He got the same cold feet the younger ones do. He made comments like "But I don't feeeeeel 54..." Dude. You are. Wake up and let someone love you.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Not necessarily. I am 43, just dated a 54 year old man, very family oriented and marriage-minded. He got the same cold feet the younger ones do. He made comments like "But I don't feeeeeel 54..." Dude. You are. Wake up and let someone love you.
He just wants to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships