Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:33 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about how during a break up other people always say to the dumpee "they just knew you were too good for them and had to let you go." People said that to me when I got divorced. They said it when things didn't work out with the guy I'd been seeing for a couple months recently. Is this ever really true? I've never dumped someone because I thought they were too good for me, but I guess it's possible.

What are your thoughts and experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM

270 posts, read 409,578 times
Nah, it's a crock of crap, said just to spare feelings.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
ive only ever had it used as a pick me up by friends who really had no idea of specifics on the situation that lead upto the break up. it also always had the reverse affect on me because i can realize what they are trying to say through the words lol

Old 06-14-2012, 02:48 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,835 times
I've said that to friends, regarding the manner in which they were dumped. If a friend gets dumped in a classless way, then that shows me that he/she is too good for their ex anyway, so it's good he/she found out now. Always go out with class.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
It may be feel good advice or just the plain truth.

People who are dysfunctional will intentionally sabotage a good thing so they can avoid the emotional risk and intimacy that comes with it.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:54 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
Random chance may make it true occasionally, but really, it's nonsense. People don't dump great matches - they dump people who don't work for them. Of course, you may be a great person, but not match someone, and they may be great too - but don't feel you're a match.

So, it's almost never that one person is too good for the other (unless that happens to be the dumpER who feels that way). It's always about not being what the person wants for a relationship, regardless of overall merit otherwise.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
I've said that to friends, regarding the manner in which they were dumped. If a friend gets dumped in a classless way, then that shows me that he/she is too good for their ex anyway , so it's good he/she found out now. Always go out with class.
I agree with the above statement. Sometimes people cheat, or have poor manners, or are insensitive to others feelings. That doesn't exactly mean that they are a "bad" person, but people do make mistakes. And sometimes the way people carry themselves and act out various situations may bring unto themself certain criticisms.... especially if only one side of the he said/she said story is told.

I also think it can be a pick me up, but most of the time people don't know the whole story of why the break up happened, and friends/family use that to support us.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
knowing every woman who cheated on me in the past tried to crawl back to me, I know I deserved better.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:16 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I think RiderGirls about right....it's something people will say just to hopefully make you feel better, or OK about what's happened....that's all.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 PM

417 posts, read 825,147 times
it might be true, but it's not that easy to judge unless you have seriously intimate knowledge of the relationship. you could try and judge by the manner of break out up, but that tends to be volatile a lot of the time anyway. on the other hand, you could try and judge by the persons character and or beliefs. again though, that might be a bit iffy assuming they don't have anything glaringly extreme. in general it's just a nice pick me up. however, i do think it can be true. it might not be some clear of mind realization, but it scrapping at the back of the skull doesn't seem too far fetched. rare but possible i suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships