Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:22 PM

19 posts, read 37,802 times

Advertisements

My husband he is white and I am hispanic, we met over facebook and fell in love, well the thing I have noticed is that most americans I know always date or even get married to foreigners, why is that? do they don't get along with Americans? LOL just wondering, how many of you have dated someone from another country? or married them?

Old 06-30-2012, 01:56 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Why do any nationalities like to date foreigners? They may find them exotic or at least interesting. It's not just Americans. This phenomenon is pretty much universal. But I don't think people seek out foreigners specifically. They're just looking for someone compatible. If there's a foreigner around who fits the bill, then so be it.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:02 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do any nationalities like to date foreigners? They may find them exotic or at least interesting. It's not just Americans. This phenomenon is pretty much universal. But I don't think people seek out foreigners specifically. They're just looking for someone compatible. If there's a foreigner around who fits the bill, then so be it.
Some of it is that.

I knew some people who couldn't get an american woman to date them to save there lives, but found that dating foreign women a lot easier and a lot more interesting. Last time I saw one of those guys, they dumped the entire american women population all together and have never regretted it.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:14 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
I really ought to play the foreigner card more often when I meet chicks. I can claim full-on foreign (Argentina) or pretty foreign (Canada). Nevermind that I've lived in the US since I was three, haha.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Some of it is that.
. Last time I saw one of those guys, they dumped the entire american women population all together and have never regretted it.
Froggie, pardon me, but this is ridiculous. There's so much variety of personality types among Americans, especially bearing in mind that Americans are not one single nationality, they're many nationalities, I can only guess that your friend was repeatedly making bad choices. Like maybe only going for the model-type "high maintenance" women, or whatever. Some people shoot themselves in the foot by sticking to one type, then end up wondering why nothing ever works out.

For that matter, there are "foreigners" among us, that's what the US has always been about. There are Russian-Americans, Swedish-Americans, Lebanese-Americans, and on and on, take your pick.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I really ought to play the foreigner card more often when I meet chicks. I can claim full-on foreign (Argentina) or pretty foreign (Canada). Nevermind that I've lived in the US since I was three, haha.
I think one of the keys is to have a foreign accent. Some women see that as sexy. It adds a sort of mystique.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:19 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,528 times
Foreign women are actually fun to be with, for many guys in USA gratitude is very hot. Plus you might get to try some different foods and enjoy simpler things.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:30 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Froggie, pardon me, but this is ridiculous. There's so much variety of personality types among Americans, especially bearing in mind that Americans are not one single nationality, they're many nationalities, I can only guess that your friend was repeatedly making bad choices. Like maybe only going for the model-type "high maintenance" women, or whatever. Some people shoot themselves in the foot by sticking to one type, then end up wondering why nothing ever works out.
You can tell me how ridiculous you think it is, and I would agree, but these men swear up and down that foreign women are infinitely better than american are.

They've committed to what they have found to be there truth, and have had great success since swearing off American women.

I don't know the types of women they came on to, as i didn't follow them around when i was able to see them semi-regularly, but I guess it was enough rejection from many different types of women to force that kind of change.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:31 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,434 times
It's definitely more of an American man/Foreign woman dynamic than American woman/Foreign man. Most American women that I know (whether they be white, asian, latina, black) don't find broken English sexy in a man (save for some unicorn-type Italian or Latin hottie haha).

Men put up with language barriers easier. And yes, a lot of it has to do with men who can't find suitable American women to date.

Me personally, I'm Indian but was born & raised in Los Angeles, so I prefer fully fluent English-speaking American women (of whatever race) who understand my humor and wit (that stuff gets lost on foreign women). But, then again, I just went on a trip to China and met many Chinese women & other foreign expats (Europeans typically) that made me reconsider that stance a bit haha. But in the end, an Americanized woman is what I want. But I can definitely understand the desire of men who are fed up with being looked over by American women.

Another reason why this dynamic works more for men is that America is still considered a powerhouse in the world (despite our economic troubles), so women probably see dating a foreigner as taking a step down on the prestige scale. Men have an easier time dealing with this as well.

Generalizations? Yep, a lot of them.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
I think one of the keys is to have a foreign accent. Some women see that as sexy. It adds a sort of mystique.
I say "sorry" and "tomorrow" in a kind of Canadian way. That's kinda mysterious. And I otherwise speak with a very light Southern twang, so people are surprised to hear I'm a first generation immigrant with a Hispanic mom haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships