Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,396,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
YOU ARE NOT A CRAZY PERSON!
You are a normal person who is/was going through a funk.
Depression is something that lasts for a lengthy amount of time characterized by definitive symptoms. I believe even the most normal of individuals have experienced depression whether it was the loss of a loved one, the loss of a job, a serious injury ( not being able to do what you once did) The key thing you stated in your original post made the most sense about who you are..the ability to recognize when you are In a funk and once realized you pick yourself up and start again.
Manic depressives cannot do this, they do not realize it, they stay in this state for months and often times years. I feel initially you clung to this person because he provided a distraction, got your mind off of what was going on with you, now you realize it for what it was and have decided that you may in fact like this guy afterall.
I would not make it a big deal and call it what it was, a funk, a rut, and explain that this is what you were going through because of this or that. Do not make it a huge ordeal. If he likes you? Really likes you? He will understand.
The best of luck.
LOL, ok ok I'm not crazy

Yeah, he definitely provided a distraction at a critical time - but I always knew I was interested in more. We went on several dates and got along really well. I suspect part of the issue was that he had opened up about some really personal and private stuff on one of our dates, and then after we slept together I was behaving abnormally from what he was used to from me, even as I was pushing for more intimacy. Yikes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,130,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
The sex was awesome, but I'm interested in allowing for the potential for something more. If more awesome sex should happen while determining whether that potential exists, I would not be heartbroken

Yeah, it's just about putting things aside for now. Other priorities take precedence.
I wonder if he thought the sex was awesome too? If he did, you have it over most woman in my opinion. Who wan'ts to be stuck with a poor Lover.
I would say, throw the line out there to see what he says.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,278,605 times
Quote:
The sex was awesome, but I'm interested in allowing for the potential for something more. If more awesome sex should happen while determining whether that potential exists, I would not be heartbroken

Yeah, it's just about putting things aside for now. Other priorities take precedence.

Lol I've kept all sorts of creeps and weirdos around because the sex was good.

Sometimes I think the sex is better with these guys because you're always guessing.

I don't think you're bipolar, as the other poster said you would have upswings if you were that were equally intense.

I think you're just a normal girl trying to make the best out of life and making the odd f***up along the way...as we all do.

But BEWARE!! As a fellow depressive, I know that when you are in that state, you make all sorts of stupid decisions you otherwise wouldn't contemplate.

I had a good friend who gave me some excellent advice - "don't believe the hype...especially your own". What she meant was people can work things up in their minds until they are mountains of fabulousness or pits of disaster....it's largely about controlling your thoughts when they start gaining momentum and taking you into a zone where you easily become obsessed and self pitying...it's also about not building other people into something they're not, then falling for your own PR.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,274,502 times
Quote:
It's not bipolar. I have no aversion to seeking out therapy, and have been to a number of mental health professionals who have seen no signs of anything more severe than mild to moderate depression. But I do also have ADD - which can add an element of chaos to pretty much anything I do.
Who knows but Bipolar disorder can go undetected by theopist. I'm not trying to be mean or condem those people dealing with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disorder is a real illness that is treatable. You mentioned depression and the reacurrence of depression. Does the depression happen during a perticular time of year? Also, Bipolar disorder isn't just about depression either. It also includes mania which sounds like the case with this relationship. As for the ADD, I'm ADHD and don't experience anything close to what's being described.

Either way, I wish you the best in your relationship(s).

Old 06-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I wonder if he thought the sex was awesome too? If he did, you have it over most woman in my opinion. Who wan'ts to be stuck with a poor Lover.
I would say, throw the line out there to see what he says.
Well, I take sex very seriously. Meaning I enjoy it and read a lot of stuff about how to be better at it. He used the word "amazing" repeatedly in the aftermath. When he'd become verbal again.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Lol I've kept all sorts of creeps and weirdos around because the sex was good.

Sometimes I think the sex is better with these guys because you're always guessing.

I don't think you're bipolar, as the other poster said you would have upswings if you were that were equally intense.

I think you're just a normal girl trying to make the best out of life and making the odd f***up along the way...as we all do.

But BEWARE!! As a fellow depressive, I know that when you are in that state, you make all sorts of stupid decisions you otherwise wouldn't contemplate.

I had a good friend who gave me some excellent advice - "don't believe the hype...especially your own". What she meant was people can work things up in their minds until they are mountains of fabulousness or pits of disaster....it's largely about controlling your thoughts when they start gaining momentum and taking you into a zone where you easily become obsessed and self pitying...it's also about not building other people into something they're not, then falling for your own PR.
Oh I know about that part of it too - I have my own little mantra about "Don't believe your own press" (cracks me up that it's so similar!) that I whip out when I start getting a little too giddy. When I get a little too mired in despair, the mantra changes rapidly to "****ing get over it!" followed by a litany of how great my life really is and how I'm glad that I don't live in Somalia. You'd be surprised how effective that little recitation is. (But damn it, I DO know he had a good time when we had sex. That part ain't press.)

I jumped off the rollercoaster a while ago. Mostly just working on the Weight Watchers, the gym, paying attention to my job and getting enough sleep. I spend time with my friends and reach out to my support system to make sure they know what's up. Keeping things low-key and my expectations low.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Who knows but Bipolar disorder can go undetected by theopist. I'm not trying to be mean or condem those people dealing with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disorder is a real illness that is treatable. You mentioned depression and the reacurrence of depression. Does the depression happen during a perticular time of year? Also, Bipolar disorder isn't just about depression either. It also includes mania which sounds like the case with this relationship. As for the ADD, I'm ADHD and don't experience anything close to what's being described.

Either way, I wish you the best in your relationship(s).
Thanks.

I've seen a team of licensed psychiatrists who all consulted with each other when diagnosing me with my ADD, so I'm fairly confident that I'm not bipolar. As Miss Ann Thrope pointed out, I don't experience the intense highs that characterize that disorder, but I also don't experience the intense lows. No outbursts, no suicidal thoughts (at least not since that one epic depression 15 years ago). Every woman in my family has ADD or ADHD, but it's a widely varying disorder, so it's entirely possible you don't have the same experiences. I have a huge library of ADD/ADHD books that I consult with regularly, and my symptoms are typical. It actually can often mimic other mental health issues, bipolar disorder being one of them. And I've tried medicating the ADD, but it wasn't very effective, and I didn't feel like doing a cocktail of drugs.

I used to have recurring depression with my PMS but that subsided with time. I also used to have Seasonal Affective Disorder that would trigger depressions, but that changed when I moved to a place with less miserable winters. Most of my depressions have been triggered by an actual event - such as the death of a loved one (or multiple loved ones), breaking a limb or letting my ADD get out of control and feeling overwhelmed. They don't come out of nowhere - when they surprise me, it's because I wasn't paying attention to the possible triggers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships