Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Condoms are a men's issue? And pregnancy is whose issue?
Condoms are a men's issue. Pregnancy is an issue of both...and that's the problem. Guys should only use condoms that they bought themselves.

It's a bit like buying your own drink when you go out at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I agree that it is wise to spread awareness of other STD's that you can acquire when using a condom. But it's useless to go overboard with fear mongering.

I would call sexually active men and women who use condoms with each encounter, get the HPV vaccine, and get screened for ALL STD's at least once a year responsible, smart individuals.

Until we come out with a magical vaccine that protects us from everything, condoms are our best bet, and again, they DO work against STD's.

We can get many viruses from casual contact that stay with us for the rest of our lives. As long as we do our best to get ones that are truly preventable such as HIV by wearing a condom, we do not need to scare people about having protected sex.

It's not fear mongering. If you choose to have sex, you need to be aware of the risks. And the vaccine needs to be injected before one becomes sexually active.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
Condoms are a men's issue. Pregnancy is an issue of both...and that's the problem. Guys should only use condoms that they bought themselves.

If you're having sex, then condoms are your issue; male or female.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times
Quote:
Women shouldn't be trusted with condoms. They are to be worn by men, bought by men and disposed of by men. It's a men's issue.

My 2 cents.
Do you know how many of my straight male friends have hooked up with women who "claim" to be on birth control, go back to her apartment, find out that she has no condoms, and then in the heat of the moment have bareback sex anyway?

Not only is he risking getting her pregnant (how does he know she's telling the truth?), but they both are risking STD transmission.

This happens a lot, especially when people are drunk.

Women need to have condoms on hand and know how to use them. It's just as much of a woman's responsibility to protect themselves as it is men.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
It's not fear mongering. If you choose to have sex, you need to be aware of the risks. And the vaccine needs to be injected before one becomes sexually active.
I agree with you on everything!

But I hope you agree that accepting the risks of contracting STD's that are not life threatening and curable with protection is NOT an irresponsible thing to do.

We can only go so far in preaching this. You can get several illnesses that are curable or can lead to cancer down the road from living your everyday life. I don't see how accepting these risks with condom usage and protection is any different.

The only way to avoid STD's is to not have sex at all. Period.

Who's going to do that? Anyone? (*crickets chirping*)

Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I totally grasp it. I've read every post you've written and the conclusions are inescapable:

3) Because you are willing to sleep with a woman you do not trust, you are willing to undergo this elaborate post-coital ritual on the assumption that the woman will fish your used condom out of the trashcan and inseminate herself with a turkey baster or some such. Wow. Those are some quality people you're nailing there, Scooter.
ROFL! I can always count on C-D for at least a couple of laughs a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
4) If, on the off-chance you knock her up, no worries. Not only will you be able to write child-support checks to the gal, but your folks can be counted to kick in additional money because, golly, they're loaded. well.
Sounds like mommy and daddy have been covering for Johnny all his life. Nice way to raise an irresponsible kid who doesn't care about the effect his actions have on others.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,649 times
Quote:
Do you know how many of my straight male friends have hooked up with women who "claim" to be on birth control, go back to her apartment, find out that she has no condoms, and then in the heat of the moment have bareback sex anyway?

Not only is he risking getting her pregnant (how does he know she's telling the truth?), but they both are risking STD transmission.

This happens a lot, especially when people are drunk.

Women need to have condoms on hand and know how to use them. It's just as much of a woman's responsibility to protect themselves as it is men.
They are being careless then, I have no pity for those guys...if they plan on having sex they should have a condom nearby. If it just happens, they can either refuse sex or go ahead with it and deal with the possible consequences.

Quote:

Have you ever noticed that they come in little sealed packets? How would she be able to poke a hole in the condom and then re-seal the packet so that it looks unopened when she (or you) open it when you're in the moment together?

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Foolish to have sex with a man/woman you don't trust, period.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The only way to avoid STD's is to not have sex at all. Period.

Who's going to do that? Anyone? (*crickets chirping*)
Not true. In theory (not that too many people put this into practice...), when dating gets to the point that a couple wants to have sex (this tends to assume that they're in it for an LTR, i.e. love is involved), they go get tested first. Some people actually do this. People who want to be sure to avoid STD's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships