Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:52 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Yea, but the difference is, say, if a man walks into a waiting area at a restaurant he will wait without pulling out his phone, a woman in the same situation, however, will pull out her phone and look into it like it's a crystal ball to make herself appear to be busy/important.
Just because you're thinking that doesn't mean she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Yea, but the difference is, say, if a man walks into a waiting area at a restaurant he will wait without pulling out his phone, a woman in the same situation, however, will pull out her phone and look into it like it's a crystal ball to make herself appear to be busy/important.
Bull. I've gone into places like Chili's for take out. I'll usually wait at the bar and have a drink while I wait for my order. I'll be surfing the web on my phone, as will many other guys who are alone at the bar. Generally their attention will be divided between their phone and the sports news on the flatscreen televisions sets.

Meanwhile I've seen plenty of ladies sitting alone at the bar having a drink, not watching television, not on her phone, not talking to anyone. Just sort of sitting there with the thousand yard stare. Maybe they are waiting for someone. Maybe not. I never ask because I'm married anyway. My point is there's no one formula that accurately describes the way all men and all women behave when they are alone at a bar.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:37 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
If it hasn't already been said, usually around the time people get married, they buy a home, start having kids, and they start working their way up the ladder job wise so they really don't have the time to workout regularly and take care of themselves (other then buying nice clothes) as they once use to before they were childfree and single.

Then you add on eating out every day at work, the luncheons, and all the poorly nutritious fast food that is normally consumed on average just makes the situation worse.
Lucky me (and my wife) our employer has a fitness center and we use it. (We both work at the same place.) Also since we work at a hospital and in the state of California at least, healthcare workers are being asked to change how they live. Hospitals and the employees that work there are becoming tobbaco free. As of Jan 2013 we won't hire anyone that uses tobbaco. Employees can be sent home as long as they smell like they have smoked. The hospital does offer free smoking seccasion classes along with products to help employees stop smoking. All employees have also been through a blood panel and tested to see where we are health wise. Plans have been put in place to get all of us eating better and getting busy at the gym. Our cafeteria offers a healthy option and it also costs less than if we were to buy the unhealthy foods (that we also offer)

The healthcare industry is starting to recognize that the people giving the care are not is the best of shape. How can someone tell a patient that they can's smoke or eat bad foods when they themselves are doing just that. The time has come to lead by example. Another fact is that we are becoming larger. Medical equipment is desighned for heavier people. I can remember having a handfull of wheelchairs that both my wife and I could sit in. (sort of) These are wheel chairs for large people. We have a lot more of those now. Beds have weight ratings as well. The norm used to be up to 350lbs. We now have beds that take up to 750lbs and no we are not placing two patients to a bed. In the past we would get maybe 1 call a month to find out the max weight for a bed. we started getting calls all the time. Finally we ended that by placing a number on the bed. 75 for 750, 50 for 500, and so on. We were told not to label the beds with the actual number as some people can become offended.

What I am saying is that people are getting bigger and it isn't just married people. I see kids that are obese now. That is child abuse if you ask me. You can't tell me that all these kids have health problems that are keeping them from being lighter. What we have is a bunch of people that can not seem to get the fork out of their mouth. Maybe what we need to do is offer a surgical procedure that will remove the fork from their mouths. (On a side note get rid of snack time in the class room.)

Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What we have is a bunch of people that can not seem to get the fork out of their mouth.
Well, this is ONE step. From here we need to get the video game controllers out of their hands, and unplug the computers and televisions. In the last few weeks, there have been numerous discussions on overweight people, and the question of "why has this not been a problem on this level until recently?" has been raised. I believe that video games, computers and television are a big part of the answer to that question.

I was born in 1980. There was one show that I watched as a kid, and that was GI Joe. After watching it, my brother and I would go outside and "re-enact" the battle until after dark and my mom would call us in. (Sort of a scary thing, considering the area we lived in, but I digress.) When it wasn't playing GI Joe, it was baseball, soccer, riding bikes, etc. This was as recent as the 1980s. In the 1990s I noticed that the younger siblings of my friends lived a vastly different childhood than I had. Video games were common, lots of television time, etc.

With television time comes snacking. These go hand in hand. I'm guilty of it too, especially on Monday Night Football games. (But I DO make up for it throughout the week and plan around MNF parties.) Then to top it off, look at all the food-related advertisements, sponsors, etc. Hell, one of the biggest games in sports is the TOSTITOS Fiesta Bowl. You think THAT doesn't plant some ideas in peoples' heads? Not that I think Frito Lay (who owns the Tostitos brand) should not be able to sponsor a big NCAA football game.

The point I make is that the media has a more robust avenue from food advertisers to consumers, as well as a bigger share of an individual's daily "food time."

Thoughts?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:19 AM

309 posts, read 515,929 times
Replying to OP:

When the average couple were dating, they mostly go out to eat. Then they get intimate, then married.

When they are alone in the house, aside from the 'intimate' moment, they tend to do the first thing they learn to associate with each other - eating. So they eat, and eat. Hence the poundage.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
They love Golden Corral. I see it a lot. As far as the pigout deal. I don't quite understand it. If you wanted to look good beforeyou got married then you should want to look good for life but that is just my opinion.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:43 PM

102 posts, read 296,946 times
Why do you care if someone wants to gain weight? Let them be.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:41 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Men are socializing with women they don't know because they're trying to get sex. I'm not sure that can be called socializing. And women chat up strangers frequently. It just doesn't always have a sex component.
Not always Braunwyn, I have met plenty of men who socialize with women simply because they enjoy female company.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:46 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Well, this is ONE step. From here we need to get the video game controllers out of their hands, and unplug the computers and televisions. In the last few weeks, there have been numerous discussions on overweight people, and the question of "why has this not been a problem on this level until recently?" has been raised. I believe that video games, computers and television are a big part of the answer to that question.

I was born in 1980. There was one show that I watched as a kid, and that was GI Joe. After watching it, my brother and I would go outside and "re-enact" the battle until after dark and my mom would call us in. (Sort of a scary thing, considering the area we lived in, but I digress.) When it wasn't playing GI Joe, it was baseball, soccer, riding bikes, etc. This was as recent as the 1980s. In the 1990s I noticed that the younger siblings of my friends lived a vastly different childhood than I had. Video games were common, lots of television time, etc.

Thoughts?

Agreed. I drive around quite a bit (even in different states) and I hardly see any kids playing around or riding bikes like in my generation.

It's really sad to me, open grassy fields around my area are always empty along with many of the designated areas where children are able to play.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltaway View Post
Why do you care if someone wants to gain weight? Let them be.
With Obamacare, Im going to be paying for these fatties healthcare bill so I should care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships