Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:52 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times

Advertisements

If we agree on how to split things can I get her to sign something and have it notarized without a lawyer in advance of the divorce? Will it be something that stands up in court even if she changes her mind? She seems great about it now but I know things can change when people start talking to her. Also, I would like her to stay on my insurance as long as possible since her insurance at work is crappy. How long can she be on it after the divorce is final? We're remaining friends (so far) even after this. She's fun to be with but we worked to much and never seen each other and grew apart. Our marriage was more like friends with benefits. I've been with her for 13 years and loved her and only her while being faithful but I wasn't perfect and didn't gave her enough attention. It cannot be saved either.

No kids and we both work

Last edited by piyf; 06-11-2014 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
As far as I know she will not be able to stay on your insurance once the divorce is final. She may be able to pay for the policy on her own via COBRA.

I'd pay for a few hours worth of lawyer to get the MSA done up right. The words "non modifiable" appear in mine.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Once a divorce is finalized you can't put her on your insurance. If you can can both agree division of property and sign off on it, a judge can issue a decree without a drawn out trial.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Sounds like all you need is a dissolution.......divorce where both parties are in complete agreement.

This is the way I divorced in 1986.....we used one lawyer and it only cost $386. {of course it would be more than that now, but I don't think it would be too much more}

Dissolution of Marriage in Ohio: No-Fault, Amicable Divorce | divorcenet.com

Quote:

A dissolution of marriage in Ohio is a non-adversarial, "no-fault,"
proceeding to legally end a marriage. The spouses file a joint petition with the
court, requesting that the court review and approve the agreement that they have
entered into. That agreement resolves the relevant issues such as division of
property, allocation of marital debt, and allocation of parental rights and
responsibilities (custody and support).

In order to use the dissolution procedures, the spouses have to reach
agreement on all of these issues. The dissolution procedure provides the same
legal effect as a divorce in that the marital relationship is terminated. It
avoids conflict and confrontation, is usually much quicker, is usually
significantly less expensive, and the parties can be relatively sure of the
ultimate outcome.
They have do it yourself dissolutions online now........I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Divorce Online Is Fast And Easy | CompleteCase.com

Of course, this is in Ohio........you need to do some research about what is available in your state.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:27 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
We were required to go to a mediator over the few assets we had issue with ($200/hr). We came to an agreement, signed, sealed, delivered. My ex later tried to go back on one of the issues but the signed mediated agreement held up in court.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:39 AM

11,374 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Crappy insurance in most cases is better than none at all. Tell her to look into the ACA. There are supposed to be more choices.

When I divorced neither of us had a lawyer. I looked into it but I was advised by 3 different attorneys it would be chaeper and quicker to swallow the loss. That is what I did. There was no children or house involved but she was very bad in the end, especially after we broke up.

Gettting married was the biggest mistake I made my entire life.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:50 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Sounds like all you need is a dissolution.......divorce where both parties are in complete agreement.

This is the way I divorced in 1986.....we used one lawyer and it only cost $386. {of course it would be more than that now, but I don't think it would be too much more}

Dissolution of Marriage in Ohio: No-Fault, Amicable Divorce | divorcenet.com

They have do it yourself dissolutions online now........I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Divorce Online Is Fast And Easy | CompleteCase.com

Of course, this is in Ohio........you need to do some research about what is available in your state.

Her sister's divorce was agreed on and they used the same lawyer and it cost 2k and this was 5 yrs ago.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:55 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Crappy insurance in most cases is better than none at all. Tell her to look into the ACA. There are supposed to be more choices.

When I divorced neither of us had a lawyer. I looked into it but I was advised by 3 different attorneys it would be chaeper and quicker to swallow the loss. That is what I did. There was no children or house involved but she was very bad in the end, especially after we broke up.

Gettting married was the biggest mistake I made my entire life.

John, I hear that more and more often these days. Most of my friends are again, single and living life to the fullest. All of them seem to have great hobbies and pursuits, a very, very busy social life and do not miss marriage one bit.

It's not the money, it's the freedom they appreciate the most. It seems that they and their exes are much happier apart than they ever were together. I just think marriage may be a dying institution that is no longer necessary to find happiness. Civil unions, living together, pre-nuptial and pre-move conditions seem to keep the peace.

Just a reality based on 30 years of married observations. 2 out of 3 just don't work anymore for whatever reason and people just seem happier apart than together all the time. Too much conflict.

Glad to hear it's working out for you. Too.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times
OP, I hope your divorce goes well (Is that an oxymoron?!), like mine did.

I just completed it in California, no lawyer; it cost me $390, I believe. We have two kids, one is an adult.

We had nothing to split. I did all the paperwork. He was served with original filing. He didn't have to sign anything. We are friendly.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:42 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
Her sister's divorce was agreed on and they used the same lawyer and it cost 2k and this was 5 yrs ago.

Well, if it was me and I didn't want to spend that kind of money, I would look into a do it yourself divorce, it seems to be pretty popular.

If you are both in total agreement on how to split assets, you properly fill out and file the forms, it sounds pretty safe from what I have read.

It seems that most who are dissatisfied are the ones who look back and think they should have asked for a bigger piece of the pie. IMO, that kind of regret could also happen if the divorce is handled by a lawyer.

Hope everything turns out for the best.....for both of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships