Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

When it's cultural, you also have to consider that if you are going to marry into a non-American culture that often the entire clan plans to live together forever. Decisions are made by the head of the clan, usually the eldest male or female. A spouse is often expected to come and live with the rest of the clan, maybe the house next door if not the same house. A spouse will not make his or her own decisions or even take trips with just his or her own spouse and kids. When it's cultural, it's even more reason to be leery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 10:32 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
Probably the sexiest guy I ever knew in my life (Luigi) was one of my students. He was 27, Italian and lived in Malibu with his Italian parents. His dad had homes all over the world, their base was Milan. Luigi had more charm and charisma in his little finger than most men have in their entire bodies. Conventionally handsome? No. And though his parents were very wealthy, he never flaunted it. He didn't drive a Ferrari, he drove a VW Jetta. He dressed casually.

He had a succession of GF's and none of them complained he lived at home at 27.

So it really depends. If you're living with your family in a waterfront Malibu home, that's a lot different than living in Ma's broken down single-wide trailer on the side of the road in Mississippi.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:45 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I'm someone who needs my own space, so unless they were just helping their parents out (as some of my friends are currently doing), I would be put off. I like having my own place and being independent - I would need that same independence and self-sufficiency from a partner. It's a "values" thing for me.

However, I don't care what kind of car a guy drives. Actually, an expensive car puts me off - again, it's a values issue. The idea that you want to spend extra money on a vehicle that isn't a classic or a project car or significantly adding to your quality of life is frivolous to me. Like suburban guys who have never been on a dirt road in their life but drive Hummers. Ugh. And one time a guy totally put me off him with his vehicle. He was living at his parents' home and paying for a lease on a pickup truck that he obviously just had because it made him feel manly and there wasn't even a bedliner in it because he'd never used the bed on it. Ever. For some reason that really hung me up.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:18 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
Say they have a high paying job and savings that together would mean they could move out and buy a home. Say they own their own vehicle, but they choose to own a "sub-standard" one because they think driving themselves is tedious. Say they like being at home and or around their parents. Say they have a good personality. Is all that disregarded because they live at home? Is there anything wrong with living at home after a certain age?

I think guys tend to look past this, but that women would typify any man living at home regardless of the reason barring his parents being ill as "momma's boy". Does anyone else think this double standard is true?
I live with my mom and plan to live with her for a long time to help out with my brothers and bills (she is a single mom). But, I'm also 20 years old and working on a career.

I would have no problem dating a guy who lives with his parents, but I WOULD not date someone who sponged off their parents...ykwim?

Old 07-21-2012, 05:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Would depend on age and reason... someone who is living at home because they are too afraid to move out or too lazy because they want to be supported would definitely be looked over by me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships