Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,987,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Why not let her pick the first date? Aren't you a proponent of women asking men out? Doesn't the date go with that?
i think it might be hard to understand if you aren't a man who has dated a lot

i can't count the number of times i've said something like "so what would you like to do?" and recieved "whatever you would like to do" in reply. from bright, successful, confident and otherwise not-infuriating women

eventually you learn to just make a decision. usually she'll let you know if it's not something she wants to do too (probably through body language) so you just need to pay attention

ultimately i suppose it's a healthy lesson

there are exceptions of course. likely you are one of the assertive exceptions

mind you, this isn't some huge bonus for us. sometimes it's nice not to have to make decisions. i make enough of them for work, school, family, etc.

but in the end having to think of date options is one of those "problems you want to have"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Yes. Maybe not a red flag, but I'd wonder a little about control issues if he did it more than once.
erm, perhaps i didn't express myself well

i meant some women would see a guy who *doesn't* pick the first date as having a red flag

is that what you meant to agree with?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,611,745 times
Quote:
You're not doing what YOU want to do, as you said. You figured out what she likes and arranged a date around that. Essentially doing what she will (hopefully) want to do.

Why not let her pick the first date? Aren't you a proponent of women asking men out? Doesn't the date go with that?

Yes, I can see your argument if you are a musician. That would make sense.
I actualy am doing exactly what i want to do, ive wanted to see that show for a couple of months now, and i just found a perfect opportunity to do so. Im also bringing a camera along so i can take some awesome pics as well.

Because in general women appreciate a man who is a leader, who is assertive, can pick a place and time as well as someone they can look up to and respect. A guy who does what he is told by his woman, or always bends to her wishes - will never be that man.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,016,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i think it might be hard to understand if you aren't a man who has dated a lot

i can't count the number of times i've said something like "so what would you like to do?" and recieved "whatever you would like to do" in reply. from bright, successful, confident and otherwise not-infuriating women

eventually you learn to just make a decision. usually she'll let you know if it's not something she wants to do too (probably through body language) so you just need to pay attention

ultimately i suppose it's a healthy lesson

there are exceptions of course. likely you are one of the assertive exceptions

mind you, this isn't some huge bonus for us. sometimes it's nice not to have to make decisions. i make enough of them for work, school, family, etc.

but in the end having to think of date options is one of those "problems you want to have"
Yes, I can be assertive. It hasn't caused me any problems yet, so who knows... I can go either way, though.

Quote:
erm, perhaps i didn't express myself well

i meant some women would see a guy who *doesn't* pick the first date as having a red flag

is that what you meant to agree with?
No. If a guy insisted on picking the first date and wouldn't tell me what it was, even after I asked, I would take note. That's doesn't mean it would create an issue, but I would notice.

I do not like surprises, so that's part of my issue with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I actualy am doing exactly what i want to do, ive wanted to see that show for a couple of months now, and i just found a perfect opportunity to do so. Im also bringing a camera along so i can take some awesome pics as well.

Because in general women appreciate a man who is a leader, who is assertive, can pick a place and time as well as someone they can look up to and respect. A guy who does what he is told by his woman, or always bends to her wishes - will never be that man.
Well, that way you presented your first argument was "Do what YOU want to do, period." This is not the same thing. You're considering her feelings and that's a good thing.

I'm not going to comment on your last statement. Could cause a war.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
No. If a guy insisted on picking the first date and wouldn't tell me what it was, even after I asked, I would take note. That's doesn't mean it would create an issue, but I would notice.
whoa hold the phone

who said anything about not telling her what the plan was?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,614,123 times
My theory is kind of unless you kind of know each other a bit already, a movie or a concert would make a bad first date because you're primarily sitting in silence for a few hours instead of trying to get to know each other.

If you already know a little about each other, then that's a different story. However I would hate it if I got dragged to a concert or movie that I was not in agreement with.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
whoa hold the phone

who said anything about not telling her what the plan was?
Haha. I guess I confused your post and john13. Sorry!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,611,745 times
Quote:
Well, that way you presented your first argument was "Do what YOU want to do, period." This is not the same thing. You're considering her feelings and that's a good thing.

I'm not going to comment on your last statement. Could cause a war.
oh, i gotcha. i was repsonding to that particular post, concerning a specific type of concert or a movie. i thought you meant in general. I think my last statement is very true, and ive fought a few wars so no worries. In my opinion, a guy who has a plan for the first date or even first few dates, is a much more attractive option to the ladies than a guy who leaves all the decision making to his date. Its not even close. I thought no one would really refute that, common knowledge type stuff.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 AM

11,812 posts, read 12,053,785 times
Quote:
In my opinion, a guy who has a plan for the first date or even first few dates, is a much more attractive option to the ladies than a guy who leaves all the decision making to his date. Its not even close. I thought no one would really refute that, common knowledge type stuff.
I agree, if you're asking someone out, you should have a plan for something in mind and see if they're on board with that, rather than passing the buck. And the plan should be with them in mind, not just yourself.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I think my last statement is very true, and ive fought a few wars so no worries. In my opinion, a guy who has a plan for the first date or even first few dates, is a much more attractive option to the ladies than a guy who leaves all the decision making to his date. Its not even close. I thought no one would really refute that, common knowledge type stuff.
Your truth doesn't apply to everyone. While I like a dominant guy (if that's the right term), I also like someone who has some give. Note that I didn't say I want to make ALL the decisions.

You say common knowledge, but it's actually common belief....simply because it's not fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships