Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:44 PM

161 posts, read 395,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Your experience is typical. Few people can have a meaningful conversation via email. It's a skill. Alternatively, they simply aren't that interested, and are passing time. They may hope YOU will say something that will excite them enough to show interest, but they're missing the boat if they don't show interest. So, just write them off after a couple of such emails.
I agree with this - it's hard for some people to carry on a good, meaningful conversation via email. It's just not the same as in person. Even with my good friends I'd rather pick up a phone and call them when I want to catch up. My point being IMO (I don't know about other people) it's really hard for me to get interested in someone just through sending messages back and forth when I haven't met them. Maybe I'm a bit old school though... I haven't really done online dating, so maybe that's something I'd have to get used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 04:33 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I don't do online dating, but in real life, if I'm not asking you questions I'm simply not interested.

I think that would go double for online.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
This always happens to me! Lately I've been having a lot more success in getting women to respond to my initial messages. Maybe it's because I changed my pictures... I look cool in sunglasses if I do say so myself, and my other pictures are pretty decent and show me having a good time. Eh.

Anyway, like I said I never get asked questions. It always feels like I'm doing an interview for some third-rate blog. I ask something in the first message, they respond (in a rather friendly tone), I dig deeper... but it never gets turned around on me. Like, I ask a girl what instruments she plays and then she doesn't ask me if I play anything.

I don't know, it just seems weird to me and I'm guessing it means they're not interested. Anyone else ever experience this on any online dating site?

That means they are not interested. It happens to everyone. If someone is interested they will ask questions

Old 08-04-2012, 08:49 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
Could be the picture, I just signed up for a dating site and looked at over 300 photos, only picked 4 to possibly send questions too.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
yeah i concur on boring small talks online. i rather know about them in person to be honest. i only use online dating sites to set up to meet people ASAP. if they don't ask to meet right away and especially if they only ask for more pics, i move on.
Try setting up a phone call to develop rapport so you can then schedule a date. Why would you set up a date online without hearing someone's voice?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:26 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I do think there is a certain element of ineptitude for some folks when it comes to conversing via email. But I also think if they can't think of one thing to ask you, either your profile has given them very little in the way of obvious hooks or they're just not interested. I've purposely littered my profile with "conversation starters" so if a guy I contact fails to ask me any questions in return, I just don't revisit him.
It's all about your PHOTO and if she is not attracted then there won't be any conversation

Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 PM

144 posts, read 201,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Try setting up a phone call to develop rapport so you can then schedule a date. Why would you set up a date online without hearing someone's voice?
Because I don't like giving my number to someone I haven't even met yet. If the meet does not work out, I don't like to be bothered with knowing a perfect stranger has my number.

I don't even give my number to guys that personally ask for my number. PLUS i hate talking on phone. Really prefer to talk in person.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:30 PM
FBJ

You have to say something OFF THE WALL like

"can you help me with my "kiss and sniff" fetish?

Have you ever been introduced to the world of safe adult fun?

How long do you think you could keep your balance if you stood on my back?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
Because I don't like giving my number to someone I haven't even met yet. If the meet does not work out, I don't like to be bothered with knowing a perfect stranger has my number.

I don't even give my number to guys that personally ask for my number. PLUS i hate talking on phone. Really prefer to talk in person.
You sound too paranoid for online dating and should delete your profile. Or you can just get the CALL BLOCK feature if you don't want to talk to a guy anymore

Old 08-04-2012, 09:37 PM

144 posts, read 201,114 times
LOL. funny I always hear that with the guys that set up to meet me. My 'paranoia' does not affect my dating life though. I've met a LOT of guys even if I have a 'weird' process in meeting them.

I guess it falls in the category of if a guy REALLY wants to meet me, they just let me have my way or the highway (there are also some guys that prefer the highway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships