Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I don't remember seeing that anywhere. What is being said is that some women have a b*tch shield up to deter men from approaching. And it's not just having the shield up on the street. That's all that most of you are focusing on. It's about having the shield up in "safe places". Why do you have a b*tch shield up in the coffee shop, gym, book store, grocery store, etc when no one has approached you in those places (not specifically referring to you Spinx)?
Who says those are safe places? I've been approached there. Crazies don't have boundaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Don't you know that women are simply here for a man's amusement and pleasure?

Good god woman!

Well darn. I've been so picky about who I amuse and pleasure, must be why I'm single.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:59 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
But those places are "safe places", which we've been told in this thread is different than approaching someone on the street. Therefore, the line of thought is that one wouldn't have the b*tch shield up in a "safe place" bc those men have been vetted just by the fact that they're in a "safe place".
Just because I'm not afraid someone is going to kill me doesn't mean I want someone to bother me while I'm reading a book in the Barnes and Noble Cafe. Men have done this before. And yes - I wear my wedding ring.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Sounds like a 'pre-emptive' shield... perhaps because those women are taken.
That is a very good point. Something like 50% or maybe more are taken at any given time. I know I like it when any GF of mine has a big shield up against guys hitting her up. I wouldn't want a GF to be open and friendly to guys hitting her up.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Men wouldn't want to be with that kind of woman, anyway, right? Sounds like the men are approaching because of looks, but what they're finding out is the personality isn't what they're looking for. Maybe try choosing people by personality, first (the ones without a shield, who look approachable).

Where do you live, hott, that the shield is pervasive? Was that you, on that other thread a week or 2 ago, who was trying to talk to the woman at the gym? Glad it's working out for you. Maybe when you get to know her better, you could ask her, "why the shield"? Could be interesting.
But no one knows how someone's personality is until you get to know the person. So all that one can go off of is looks.

The woman that I know that has the shield is different from the other one I was talking about in the other thread. The other woman didn't have a shield up.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:10 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
But those places are "safe places", which we've been told in this thread is different than approaching someone on the street. Therefore, the line of thought is that one wouldn't have the b*tch shield up in a "safe place" bc those men have been vetted just by the fact that they're in a "safe place".
I see what you're getting at here. Just because those are better places to try an approach than the street, doesn't mean all women want to be approached. Like Dewdrop said, she's married, and she's tired of all the come-ons, and she even wears her ring. Some women may be happily spoken-for, but they still get approached, so they put up a shield. Some may be having a bad day, and don't want to talk. It's all pretty hit-and-miss. Don't let it get you down.

P.S. Thanks for clarifying. You did the right thing; you went for the woman who didn't have a shield. But yeah, that must be strange, to have someone drop their shield just for you, then you watch them put it back up for everyone else. In the public city-funded gyms, the YMCA gyms, the more affordable gyms, I haven't seen women go around with shields up. I still wonder if it's a regional thing, or an economic bracket thing (more costly gym memberships = more exclusive women?).

Old 08-15-2012, 01:11 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I see what you're getting at here. Just because those are better places to try an approach than the street, doesn't mean all women want to be approached. Like Dewdrop said, she's married, and she's tired of all the come-ons, and she even wears her ring. Some women may be happily spoken-for, but they still get approached, so they put up a shield. Some may be having a bad day, and don't want to talk. It's all pretty hit-and-miss. Don't let it get you down.
Yup. And lets not forget - some women are just shy and some women just have b*tchy looking faces. You can't help your bone structure!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:19 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I'm so glad Ascension2012 is here to tell women how they do/should really think and act! What would we do without guys like him, who apparently feel not only compelled to speak for all men but also all women?
I look at it this way: A man who is successful with women (not saying he is or isn't, just in general) can share what has worked for him. But there's a caveat. It works for him with the kind of women he pursues.

That might not be your kind or mine.

So all any of us women can say amounts to, "If you want to be successful with a woman like me, here's the kind of approach I like."

The fun part about the Internet is that we might not not like the kind of men we're offering advice to if we knew them in person, and we might not be the kind of woman those men want in the first place--and in some cases, I am more than okay with that!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Who came up with the rule that women have to be happy and friendly all the time anyways?

Some guy, apparently.

This captured my thoughts perfectly.

Don't You Dare Ask Me Why I Look Mad

Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Lightbulb Wellll...Excuse Me For Puttin' This Out Here---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
You sound like someone that has nothing to say but take personal jabs. Argue the topic and if you cant, admit to it. you know im speaking the truth, just dont like that fact.
But the lady has a point...

You roll up in here like the Almighty, Omnipotent, Uncorrectible Joe Irond**k, acting like you possess every single scintilla of knowledge on this subject, and woe betide anyone who has the (to quote you) 'balls and courage' to inhale and form their mouths or strike their keyboards to disagree with you in any way shape or form

Then you get all sanctimonious, telling folk everything just short of outright 'shut up!!!', because people are sheep and we live in a BS, non-individual society, and you know EVERYTHING, and it's your world, and the rest of us are squirrels trying to get a nut

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP!!! That's the sound of the Reality Train, paying you a visit...you do NOT have a lock on the truth, and what's more ,son, people are going to 'argue the topic' til cows learn to dance the bouzouki, and they DON'T have to heed your ironbound 'no you listen to ME, because I'm always right, and you're just clueless peons' razamatazz, if they don't want to

You are dealing with ADULTS, and I don't know how they roll where you're from, but here, EVERYBODY has a voice and an opinion, and the right to express it, whether you like it or not...you're not gonna just continue to fat-mouth and 'whatever' everyone, and then when someone tells you waht time it is, then we get the 'you're sheep' routine...my folks did not birth any sheep, I am DEFINITELY an individual, and I got a pair the size of the Chrysler Building, and courage to match

Sorry if that screws up your little Kingdom Of Generalizations, but tough...men and women approach life in vastly different ways, for sure, up to and including inter-personal action on the street...just because YOU do things ONE way, that doesn't mean the rest of us are mental midgets because we DON'T

Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
But the lady has a point...

You roll up in here like the Almighty, Omnipotent, Uncorrectible Joe Irond**k, acting like you possess every single scintilla of knowledge on this subject, and woe betide anyone who has the (to quote you) 'balls and courage' to inhale and form their mouths or strike their keyboards to disagree with you in any way shape or form

Then you get all sanctimonious, telling folk everything just short of outright 'shut up!!!', because people are sheep and we live in a BS, non-individual society, and you know EVERYTHING, and it's your world, and the rest of us are squirrels trying to get a nut

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP!!! That's the sound of the Reality Train, paying you a visit...you do NOT have a lock on the truth, and what's more ,son, people are going to 'argue the topic' til cows learn to dance the bouzouki, and they DON'T have to heed your ironbound 'no you listen to ME, because I'm always right, and you're just clueless peons' razamatazz, if they don't want to

You are dealing with ADULTS, and I don't know how they roll where you're from, but here, EVERYBODY has a voice and an opinion, and the right to express it, whether you like it or not...you're not gonna just continue to fat-mouth and 'whatever' everyone, and then when someone tells you waht time it is, then we get the 'you're sheep' routine...my folks did not birth any sheep, I am DEFINITELY an individual, and I got a pair the size of the Chrysler Building, and courage to match

Sorry if that screws up your little Kingdom Of Generalizations, but tough...men and women approach life in vastly different ways, for sure, up to and including inter-personal action on the street...just because YOU do things ONE way, that doesn't mean the rest of us are mental midgets because we DON'T
Lately, when I log in, I find myself thinking, "I wonder what the Captain has to say today and who will be on the receiving end of his wisdom?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships