Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,505 times

Advertisements

How much of it is healthy and normal? Outside of a drunken one night stand, it's tough for me to separate sex and developing feelings, even if I know the person I just had sex with would be horrible for me to be in a relationship with. If she's around my age and is decent looking (I wouldn't be sleeping with them otherwise), I start thinking about what the rest of my life would be like with that person. This totally doesn't apply to cougars, just girls my own age. Does it get easier with more casual sex? Do I really want to become the guy that totally separates developing feelings and having sex? I had a fwb once that I knew I didn't want anything to do with, but when I learned I wasn't the only guy in the picture, it drove me a little crazy/hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,786 times
You can do it both ways: deep feelings for someone compatible you want as part of your life, and simple NSA (mutual) enjoyment with someone else. It's not either/or, and it can also be a range of feelings or lack thereof.

Jealousy is usually counterproductive, and I think most often hurts and hinders those who feel it, rather than those on whom you project it.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,603,692 times
If it was a straight up FWB, why would you care if she was sleeping with someone else? As long as you take the proper steps to protect yourself, it should be none of your business. Im not jealous at all, becasue there is no point of letting negative emotions enter oyur life if there is no reason for it. If you are able to give your woman the best sex of her life, or at least a ton of variety and satisfaction, there is usualy no reason at all to be jealous, because there would be practicaly no reason for her to want to be with anyone else. And if she does, its her choice - you pack her **** up and leave it outside the front door. No matter how jealoous we get or how controlling we may want to be, there is practicaly no way of stopping someone from cheating, if thats what they choose to do.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
How much of it is healthy and normal? Outside of a drunken one night stand, it's tough for me to separate sex and developing feelings, even if I know the person I just had sex with would be horrible for me to be in a relationship with. If she's around my age and is decent looking (I wouldn't be sleeping with them otherwise), I start thinking about what the rest of my life would be like with that person. This totally doesn't apply to cougars, just girls my own age. Does it get easier with more casual sex? Do I really want to become the guy that totally separates developing feelings and having sex? I had a fwb once that I knew I didn't want anything to do with, but when I learned I wasn't the only guy in the picture, it drove me a little crazy/hurt.
Sounds like you have to start spinning plate, my man. If you're hooking up with 5 different girls, you won't care what any of them are doing when they're not with you.

Captain Jack

Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,505 times
I totally get that and I am plenty confident, but it still sucks (mostly because I tend to develop feelings). I just need to able to do a better job at not elevating every girl I sleep with into potential gf territory. I guess my personal views on sex make this more difficult than it should be...

Logically, I know jealousy is a dead end street and I'd never act on any of those feelings, but it still eats me up inside. Even getting a new piece of tail doesn't always fix it.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
It's human nature. Anyone who says anything different is lying to themselves. However, you can choose how to react to it (or not).

And if you have issues separating sex and emotions, why on earth would you go there?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:56 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
I say it is normal for you to develop feelings, since biology has a say in it. It isn't all conscious, but hormonal.

However, if your really just out for some fun, just don't start thinking about the future. Just think about the present, and have your fun. The more you dwell on a potential future, the more you will fixate and elevate it's importance.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 AM

308 posts, read 896,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
It's human nature. Anyone who says anything different is lying to themselves. However, you can choose how to react to it (or not).
Jealousy? I have none. seriously, I am married and find it really hard to be jealous. I must have an insane defense mechanism in my brain that triggers different feelings when I should be feeling worried.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:11 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
Jealousy? I have none. seriously, I am married and find it really hard to be jealous. I must have an insane defense mechanism in my brain that triggers different feelings when I should be feeling worried.
Notice you said "hard" and not impossible.

Jealousy is normal, but I think people consider it to be some horrible, life-altering affliction. For most people, it is not. In fact, it can be the little nudge you need to be a little better, do a little more, make some changes.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 AM

74 posts, read 150,196 times
I am married and I am not a jealous wife because I trust my husband and I do not have the need to know where he is at all times which is a good thing because he is away from home working more than he is home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships