Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Absolutely...continue to date this gentleman; after all, he is a very nice guy. What? Are you kidding me? What in the name of heaven is wrong with being frugal? This is the man who values how hard he works and what he labors for...no, it's not the money but rather the security (hypothetically speaking) that money affords us. A roof over our heads, paying utilities, maintaining ones credit...so on and so forth. He is a gentleman who is obviously taking charge of his personal finances, he is fiscally prudent.

Buy her a gift or two? Why, was there a birthday to celebrate, an anniversary he should have made note of, did they become engaged. Take her to a nice restaurant every once in a while...has she cooked him a meal...every once in a while?

Unless this gentleman is a gambler, a woman chaser, or a hoarder, and assuming he doesn't have any other personal liabilities (one can come to their own conclusions on what these may be by their own life experiences) suggest to your friend that she continue to date this gentleman and see where it leads.

Cheap is one thing...frugal is an entirely differnt matter altogether, and there is nothing wrong with being frugal; more people should practice it.

A frugal individual is one who uses research and intellect to find good deals, understands that brand items may not always be better and likes to save money for a higher quality or better item. Those who are cheap will hang onto their cash, even at the detriment of another. They may underpay at dinner (when everyone else contributes their fair share), sacrifice quality for price and even try to skip out on paying for basic necessities.

How to Be Frugal Without Being Cheap: 5 steps - wikiHow

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
please refer to post #11 in this c-d thread; your friend could have a much
worse situation entirely with this mentality.

Being frugal looks like she found heaven on earth compared to this scenario!

"Friends First"--Why It Usually Doesn't Work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
No, but I'm not gay.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:57 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
If he is so frugal, we just wouldn't be compatible.

Men reject women for other reasons too. Like age, weight etc. So both genders are guilty.
Both genders are guilty of things like this, although reading posts like the OP and several others in this thread certainly isn't doing much to dispel the notion that many women are mainly looking for a man who has lots of money.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:00 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Both genders are guilty of things like this, although reading posts like the OP and several others in this thread certainly isn't doing much to dispel the notion that many women are mainly looking for a man who has lots of money.
I can only speak for myself: I have lived a responsible life (and worked hard for my own money) I want a man equally dedicated to better himself.

I also like to spend money (within reason). I like a guy that is not a "frugal" person.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,851 times
Quote:
I can only speak for myself: I have lived a responsible life (and worked hard for my own money) I want a man equally dedicated to better himself.

I also like to spend money (within reason). I like a guy that is not a "frugal" person.
What the hell does any of this have to do with wasting money on someone you hardly know..?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
What the hell does any of this have to do with wasting money on someone you hardly know..?
if the guy is super frugal we will not work out in the long term. So if he is extremelly frugal on the first dates... what is the point?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
if the guy is super frugal we will not work out in the long term. So if he is extremelly frugal on the first dates... what is the point?
So basically he needs to waste money on you, even though he doesn't know you. That's idiotic.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
So basically he needs to waste money on you, even though he doesn't know you. That's idiotic.
No. You are missing the point. I am willing to go halfsies. i just like nice places. If he does not want to pay for HIS half and go to a nice place... I am not interested.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
No. You are missing the point. I am willing to go halfsies. i just like nice places.
Yeah, there's the disconnect. You equate nice places with money. I equate nice places with places I'd like to go, regardless of cost, spent with someone I like.

Some people think things are more valuable simply because the price is higher; they ignore the intrinsic worth. I try to avoid those sorts of people.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, there's the disconnect. You equate nice places with money. I equate nice places with places I'd like to go, regardless of cost, spent with someone I like.

Some people think things are more valuable simply because the price is higher; they ignore the intrinsic worth. I try to avoid those sorts of people.
Well lets agree on disagree. I am blessed with discretionary income and I can go to nice places. If my date prefers to pinch EVERY SINGLE PENNY, then we are just not compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships