Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times

Advertisements

I am not asking at what age should a man start getting married and having kids, I am asking at what age he should at least know if this is in his game plan or not?

Been arguing with my bf over this since he will be turning 30 this year. I think he should know whether or not those are things he wants by now. He tells me he should know for sure in a couple of years. I don't think that's fair to keep me around considering those things are deal breakers for me if he decides he wants them-I can't give them to him. He's known this from the start (over 3 years ago).

I don't want a family or marriage, those are deal breakers for me. I don't want him to change his mind and want those things when I cant give them to him.

Opinions?

Last edited by findly185; 03-26-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I am not asking at what age should a man start getting married and having kids, I am asking at what age he should at least know if this is in his game plan or not?

Been arguing with my bf over this since he will be turning 30 this year. I think he should know whether or not those are things he wants by now. He tells me he should know for sure in a couple of years. I don't think that's fair to keep me around considering those things are deal breakers for me if he decides he wants them-I can't give them to him. He's known this from the start (over 3 years ago).

Opinions?
You're funny! You wanted to convince yourself that he was on the same page as you and he's been stringing you along for as long as he can to keep you around.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:

Opinions?
It's fair because you let it be fair.

Men are individuals. We all have different thoughts about things. There is no age at which we should all know whether or not we want kids.

Though, given the evidence, I'd say that having kids is NOT a priority for this guy.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
By 30 I would think he should have an idea if a family is in his life direction/goals or not (I would think most people would know if that was a life goal of their's well before 30, whether or not they were ready to achieve that goal then and their).

I almost suspect at 30, he really knows and doesn't want to commit the real answer to you. So he stays on the fence to string you along.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
That's a hard question. I'd think he should know around 30 but people do work on different timeframes.

But I agree, you shouldn't have to wait around for the next few years waiting on his response. Take it from me who waited til nearly 34 to start trying (and have several 35+ friends trying). It gets harder and more complicated with age, plus the risks associated increase.

If I could do it again, I wish I would have started a few years earlier.

Good luck!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

Opinions?
Actually, I don't think some of them "know" until they hear one is on the way

Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
I knew I didn't want kids when I was 12. Yes 12. Marriage that was later down the road like 17 or 18 I bet. I still hold myself to that decision.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, I don't think some of them "know" until they hear one is on the way
This could be, but as a guy I do not think so. Of course, my evidence is purely anecdotal. However, I think guys know whether they would really want children very early on.

One's that want children may not want them right now, so they may outwardly express being undecided on it.

Those that do not want children, if they love the woman they are with, and think or know that she does want children, will often be non-commital on it to try and kick the confrontation over it down the road.

Then there is the wild card of someone changing their mind, but even so at any given point of time I would expect most adult men to have an opinion on this, fundamentally, one way or another.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This could be, but as a guy I do not think so. Of course, my evidence is purely anecdotal. However, I think guys know whether they would really want children very early on.

One's that want children may not want them right now, so they may outwardly express being undecided on it.

Those that do not want children, if they love the woman they are with, and think or know that she does want children, will often be non-commital on it to try and kick the confrontation over it down the road.
All I want is 100% confirmation that he doesn't want marriage or kids. Idk why all of a sudden he's flip flopping.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
I always dated women who were able to have kids, and were maybe looking to have kids in the future.

I always avoided women who couldn't have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships