Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 3,829 times

Advertisements

So me and this girl have been hitting it off we have been texting 24/7 for like a month and i go and see her at her dorm like 2-3 times a week and things have been perfect. last night i was hanging out at her house and i spilled some juice on her blanket...which was a gift from her grandma a long time ago. we couldn't scrub it out so we put it in her washer and the washer torn it apart and she is just devastated she is beyond sad... i dont know what to do she is a mess and i want to help her out but i dont know what to do because i cant just replace it and she doesn't even want to talk to me right now. i need help what do i do? do i just give her space and let her get over it or what? i dont want to loose her but she is beyond sad and wont talk with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnos123 View Post
So me and this girl have been hitting it off we have been texting 24/7 for like a month and i go and see her at her dorm like 2-3 times a week and things have been perfect. last night i was hanging out at her house and i spilled some juice on her blanket...which was a gift from her grandma a long time ago. we couldn't scrub it out so we put it in her washer and the washer torn it apart and she is just devastated she is beyond sad... i dont know what to do she is a mess and i want to help her out but i dont know what to do because i cant just replace it and she doesn't even want to talk to me right now. i need help what do i do? do i just give her space and let her get over it or what? i dont want to loose her but she is beyond sad and wont talk with me
Get Grandma on the horn & tell her to start knitting.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
She's either going to get over it or not. Give her some time. It will probably blow over.

You can't replace the blanket, of course, so all you can do is tell her you are so sorry and you wish more than anything that you could bring it back, but you hope she will forgive you. Be very understanding about why it meant so much to her.

Then don't bring it up again unless she does.

If she continues to hold it over you or give you the cold shoulder, then she is to immature and/or selfish to understand that 1) you meant no harm, and 2) she was in on the decision to put it in the washer, right?? (Don't say that to her, though, because it will just add insult to injury.)

So if she continues to pout about it, take that as her final answer and be glad you found out about her true nature before you were in too deep.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 PM

496 posts, read 941,062 times
Find a professional cleaner, call them, and ask them if they can get __x__ juice out of __x__ fabric. Contact your friend and tell her how sorry you are and you have arranged to take the blanket to __x__.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
The washer tore it apart....do you have a mother or auntie that can sew?? The only thing that may help is if it can be somewhat restored. Sorry but I imagine from her reaction that Grandma is deceased...Just do something nice, send a card expressing in your writing how sorry you are about the blanket. See if you can find someone that sews. Tell her if you do. Otherwise, you'll have to wait it out...She is probably reacting to the loss of a memento....nothing you can say will appease that right now. But, don't give up...Grief is something that happens when you loose a momento from a cherished loved one...that is likely what she is dealing with. Just keep sending cards, flowers...just pick up a single rose and deliver it to the Dorm....just keep letting her know quietly that you are there and wait for her to get in touch, she probably will...because if you show your kindness and hang in there you'll earn her trust. Sad....hope things go well.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The washer tore it apart....do you have a mother or auntie that can sew?? The only thing that may help is if it can be somewhat restored. Sorry but I imagine from her reaction that Grandma is deceased...Just do something nice, send a card expressing in your writing how sorry you are about the blanket. See if you can find someone that sews. Tell her if you do. Otherwise, you'll have to wait it out...She is probably reacting to the loss of a memento....nothing you can say will appease that right now. But, don't give up...Grief is something that happens when you loose a momento from a cherished loved one...that is likely what she is dealing with. Just keep sending cards, flowers...just pick up a single rose and deliver it to the Dorm....just keep letting her know quietly that you are there and wait for her to get in touch, she probably will...because if you show your kindness and hang in there you'll earn her trust. Sad....hope things go well.
yea her grandmother is dead...She told me many times to not feel bad that it wasnt my fault but she is just extremely sad...before this happend she told me to come over tomorrow..should i just forget she said that or should i call and see if she still wants me to come?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM

496 posts, read 941,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It's so true that something like this can hurt so, so much. I hope it's not beyond repair, but if it is, I wonder if someone could make a quilt out of it. It wouldn't be the same blanket, but at least it would be special.

I have a coffee cup that my late stepfather gave me almost 2 decades ago. I still use it and marvel about once a week that it's not chipped or worn in any way. Given its significance, part of me thinks that I should put it away, but part of the joy comes from holding it, filling it up, and thinking about what it means to me. I would be so hurt if it got broken.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
You have to be honest. First of all, face facts, if it was so priceless, irreplaceable, she wouldnt have it out for use. Secondly, if the both of you made the decision to put it in the washer, then she should bear some of the responsibility for damage. Just make sure she knows that the spill was accidental. then, maybe offer to go to a crafts shop or area, tell her you know it can't be replaced, but if she will pick out one that means something to her from you, you would appreciate it. Start new, not with the baggage.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
You have to be honest. First of all, face facts, if it was so priceless, irreplaceable, she wouldnt have it out for use. Secondly, if the both of you made the decision to put it in the washer, then she should bear some of the responsibility for damage. Just make sure she knows that the spill was accidental. then, maybe offer to go to a crafts shop or area, tell her you know it can't be replaced, but if she will pick out one that means something to her from you, you would appreciate it. Start new, not with the baggage.
I told her i would take her to try to replace it somehow but she told me No that she cant take my money...even after reassuring her many times that i was offering so she wasn't "taking it"

Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
yea her grandmother is dead...She told me many times to not feel bad that it wasnt my fault but she is just extremely sad...before this happend she told me to come over tomorrow..should i just forget she said that or should i call and see if she still wants me to come?
I think the best move here is to give her a couple of days. She is probably still under the shock so give that time to wear off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships