Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 AM

684 posts, read 825,336 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

Right now, you're probably feeling that a lot of people are being confrontational and attacking you for being different and quirky.

I want to support you on your interests. I work in investments. I've done all right with women in my life and I like to dress up in a suit and look respectable. I've had the opportunity to travel the world and I've loved it. That said, I also like zombie movies, model assembly and painting, board games and playing my ukulele.

The key is to stealth geek it. Have multiple interests. Learn things. Be interesting and not obsessed. I have a few pointers on what you've said about yourself:

1) Conspiracy theories: JFK, Jack the Ripper - All of these things can make you interesting. This isn't a negative, so long as you don't think every conspiracy theory is real. Also, don't dwell on these things. If you try to force your views on people who don't care, you will put them to sleep.

2) Why do you define yourself by what you own? The very first thing you said about yourself is that you don't believe what you're told and the very second thing you did was to talk about what you own.

The next few are basic details - Interesting to know. Perfectly fine.

8) Why point out you don't have a job? That clearly is a sore point for you. It also makes one wonder if the BMW is your parents and suggests you live at home and those are your parents vehicles. You should have just said what you were studying. That would show an interest.

10) Fine, in general, but rather specific about your interests. We don't know what you're studying in university or your hopes and dreams, but we know you play a children's game. You can love it and that's fine, just like a man can collect comics and still be interesting, but this is one of the only things we know about you. Makes you sound flat and one dimensional.

11) You don't really believe this. You like the imagery and you've adopted it as part of a theme for who you are, but you don't honestly believe it. If you did, and you thought there was this lost terran paradise, you'd be out looking for it. And if you were off on a permanent Quixotic quest based on some scraps of ancient proof? That would be an interesting person. As it is, you're simply being contrary for the sake of it rather than because you believe.

The rest is all right, except for 18) - This suggests that you have low self esteem. Every time I've met a man who says that, it has been someone with low self esteem who blames their lack of success with the opposite sex on the fact that their moral standard is too high. I have a moral standard as well and I do all right in the dating department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 AM

190 posts, read 305,343 times
It's funny, cause #11 is a dealbreaker for most people in this thread, but it's actually the truest statement in that post. People aint ready for that yet, though.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 AM

136 posts, read 235,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So? I wouldn't date a guy who listed poker/blackjack in the first 20 things about him either. The possible exception being if you could count cards like an MIT grad.

And while not being familiar with yo-gi-ho, how is it similar to poker/blackjack? You, ahem, mentioned trading cards? And that's equivalent to gambling how? And not JUST for kids..... but stunted adults?

And what, exactly, is serious anime? As opposed to, non-serious, anime? Serious anime characters have retirement plans and homes, while non-serious anime (aka cartoons), do what.......?

Heck, while I'm guessing I could give a pass for a person being into it.... I probably couldn't give a pass to an adult who actually took it so seriously.
You are assuming way too much and are too negative of this Yu-Gi-Oh! thing. I met some guys who are in there late 20s and are still successful as heck in there lives. To them, Yu-Gi-Oh is just another card game hobby like Poker or Blackjack.
As for the anime, seriousness means no watering down for kids. So blood, gore, more violence, more explicit language, scarier and darker theme and more nudity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
1 and 11 are dealbreakers. And quite possibly signs of schizophrenia.
Heck no.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBeamDreams View Post
It's funny, cause #11 is a dealbreaker for most people in this thread, but it's actually the truest statement in that post. People aint ready for that yet, though.
Can you explain more?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
To the OP:

Right now, you're probably feeling that a lot of people are being confrontational and attacking you for being different and quirky.

I want to support you on your interests. I work in investments. I've done all right with women in my life and I like to dress up in a suit and look respectable. I've had the opportunity to travel the world and I've loved it. That said, I also like zombie movies, model assembly and painting, board games and playing my ukulele.

The key is to stealth geek it. Have multiple interests. Learn things. Be interesting and not obsessed. I have a few pointers on what you've said about yourself:

1) Conspiracy theories: JFK, Jack the Ripper - All of these things can make you interesting. This isn't a negative, so long as you don't think every conspiracy theory is real. Also, don't dwell on these things. If you try to force your views on people who don't care, you will put them to sleep.

2) Why do you define yourself by what you own? The very first thing you said about yourself is that you don't believe what you're told and the very second thing you did was to talk about what you own.

The next few are basic details - Interesting to know. Perfectly fine.

8) Why point out you don't have a job? That clearly is a sore point for you. It also makes one wonder if the BMW is your parents and suggests you live at home and those are your parents vehicles. You should have just said what you were studying. That would show an interest.

10) Fine, in general, but rather specific about your interests. We don't know what you're studying in university or your hopes and dreams, but we know you play a children's game. You can love it and that's fine, just like a man can collect comics and still be interesting, but this is one of the only things we know about you. Makes you sound flat and one dimensional.

11) You don't really believe this. You like the imagery and you've adopted it as part of a theme for who you are, but you don't honestly believe it. If you did, and you thought there was this lost terran paradise, you'd be out looking for it. And if you were off on a permanent Quixotic quest based on some scraps of ancient proof? That would be an interesting person. As it is, you're simply being contrary for the sake of it rather than because you believe.

The rest is all right, except for 18) - This suggests that you have low self esteem. Every time I've met a man who says that, it has been someone with low self esteem who blames their lack of success with the opposite sex on the fact that their moral standard is too high. I have a moral standard as well and I do all right in the dating department.
2. The list order does not matter. It is not listed in order of importance.
11. You are wrong on this point I am afraid.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojob8 View Post
Can you explain more?
After you posted #11, notice how everyone in this thread said it's a "dealbreaker" for them. That's why I say hold back for now and don't speak about it, cause you can see most people just aren't ready for it. It's outlandish to them. It's best to not even mention it and just keep it moving. You have to find a place where people discuss these subjects, and then you can find your woman there, because you'll all share the same interests then. I read Richard E Byrd's book years ago, so I know exactly where you're coming from. But they do have places where they talk about these things. You should join one of those groups.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBeamDreams View Post
After you posted #11, notice how everyone in this thread said it's a "dealbreaker" for them. That's why I say hold back for now and don't speak about it, cause you can see most people just aren't ready for it. It's outlandish to them. It's best to not even mention it and just keep it moving. You have to find a place where people discuss these subjects, and then you can find your woman there, because you'll all share the same interests then. I read Richard E Byrd's book years ago, so I know exactly where you're coming from. But they do have places where they talk about these things. You should join one of those groups.
Do you believe the Mammoth cave in Kentucky leads to the Hollow Earth?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Honestly the cards are the least important thing, I enjoy it when people have odd hobbies. I myself am a tabletop wargamer, which is far wierder, and I love it. Basically I collect, assemble, customize and paint miniatures that one can then set against other people's armies in strategy combat.

Stormguard | Privateer Press For a quick example of the kind of things you can collect.

Basically enjoy your hobbies and don't let anyone tell you you're too old or too young to do X or Y. People to toss a ball around and wrestle with other guys on a field and yet they aren't called childish at all.

Co-sign this.

Do what you enjoy. To hell with what others think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojob8 View Post
Do you believe the Mammoth cave in Kentucky leads to the Hollow Earth?
I have no idea.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And I like all kinds of games, I've played all of the Civilizations with expansion packs, plus Sim City and all of those variations and many, many more. I'm more drawn towards board games and card games that involve in real time strategy though, I like the human interaction.
I love board games, too.
But I am not addicted to them...and again, not top 20 things about me.
In fact, I rarely get to play them because you do have to have other people to play with.
And everyone gets tired of losing Trivial Pursuit and Pictionary to me.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Exactly! I have no interest in Poker or Blackjack but I love me a game of Yu Gi Oh or Magic: The Gathering.

I actually got in an argument with a man a while ago because he told me playing Magic was for 'kids' and that I should grow up. I kindly reminded him that he played on a Fantasy Football league and just because it had the word 'football' in the name didn't make it any less childish.

I know!!! Try Target too, I hear they carry it in stock for under $40. I haven't had a chance to go and take a look.

Honestly, I would find it odd if a future partner DIDN'T want to play video games. I'm a gamer. I want to be with a gamer. I want someone I can rant about Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption issues with, someone who can play Melee games with me and we can make bets regarding who has to do yardwork if they lose.

Yes, there are women gamers out there that want gamer partners.
Man that's what makes me nervous when I graduate from college finding women who share my same interest to hang out or date with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships