Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times

Advertisements

I know some of you are virgins that would like to keep their virginity until after marriage...

How are you open to living with your SO before marriage? I ask this because I am a virgin myself, but because of my own standards I wouldn't mind keeping someones personal vow... As long as I got to live with them.

I am the child of an overseas-online-marriage gone wrong, to the point where their marriage and their incapabilities of taking care of the house is literally endangering the physical condition of the house.

Now outside, my folks aren't that bad, my step-dad keeps a good job and my mom is an ordinary woman out in public.

Their initial dates and interactions before they moved in seemed fine... I actually liked my step-dad at that time.

Turns out that once they got married and moved in, the house started falling apart and there was no peace in the family ever again. These people have never learned how to live together. I don't know how they put up with each other, nor do I know how long are they going to stay together, however, I do know that I want my family to be absolutely nothing like the household I was raised in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,926 times
The trouble is, people are faulty.

No relationship can ever be perfect. No safeguards, smart choices, or careful planning will prevent things going to hell in a handcart, if that's the way they are headed.

There are no guarantees.

I too was raised in a war zone, swore I would never do it myself, married for love which lasted through 7 years and 2 kids and then just fell apart.

The main reason? Hindsight now tells me that a guy who is a dirty young man will turn into a dirty old man in time, which is nowhere near cute or fun.

I could've lived with him for months before we married, in fact I did, but no warning in the world could control how he changed, nor how I changed...suddenly seeing him for what he was.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,838,081 times
I don't see what the big deal is. I'm personally not ready to live with someone else yet, but I don't get why some people bash at those who do. I mean, c'mon, it's their business. Not yours.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,122,194 times
I don't believe in shacking up with a man.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Well, real marriage requires serious agreements and a little hard work. You have to agree to get along with one another peacefully and as happily as possible. Everyone is going to turn out to be a little different than you were expecting them to be. People change over time and don't always show themselves to be who they are when you're still in the romantic stages. At a certain point, you just have to negotiate and deal with whatever crops up.

Part of being married is keeping a clean and comfortable environment for yourself, your partner, and the rest of the family. It's just normal stuff: washing clothes and dishes, putting things away, buying food that's healthy and tasty; you know, basic housekeeping.

The living together and sex before or after part is not as big a deal as some people make it out to be. Whether you're a virgin or not, you will still have to do all of the other grown up things at some point in your life. Otherwise you're a miserable mess like your folks are.

Personally, I think it's not a bad idea to live separately till you're ready to be married. It sets the stage for greater responsibilities --and probably a higher level of happiness once you're ready for that kind of thing.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,738,038 times
What is this 'virgin week?' LOL.

Maybe you could live with the person 5 or 6 months before the marriage? I dunno. You need to find ways to see what kind of home they keep. I knew a couple that got divorced over one of them being a complete slob and hoarder with no intentions to stop.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
What is this 'virgin week?' LOL.

Maybe you could live with the person 5 or 6 months before the marriage? I dunno. You need to find ways to see what kind of home they keep. I knew a couple that got divorced over one of them being a complete slob and hoarder with no intentions to stop.
You can also spend a lot of time in the other person's home and get an idea of how they like to keep house. I was once so in love with a guy who is pretty much a hoarder -- and this was before the hoarder shows became popular. I used to try to clean up for him and made no real progress. I guess I am lucky we broke up!

Best thing ever happened was this forum, you can learn a little from everyone.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM

864 posts, read 1,455,582 times
I don't want to live with someone before marriage. Just a personal choice for me.

I don't think living together has any bearing on whether you will be more compatible after marriage. Just look at the sky high divorce rate...I'm sure many of those couples lived together before marriage.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
I lived with my husband before we got married. It worked for us and I wouldn't have changed a thing. We knew exactly what we were getting into and we were prepared.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,738,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You can also spend a lot of time in the other person's home and get an idea of how they like to keep house. I was once so in love with a guy who is pretty much a hoarder -- and this was before the hoarder shows became popular. I used to try to clean up for him and made no real progress. I guess I am lucky we broke up!

Best thing ever happened was this forum, you can learn a little from everyone.

I didn't answer the OP, I wouldn't live with someone before marriage either. The men interested too much in getting 'freebies' with zero commitment, so no thanks.

I was just thinking of ways the OP could figure out his situation that might work...The couple I knew was also well before that show came on the air....was the guy you were with named Chris? Did you marry him? Does your name start with a B? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships