Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I said older people, not old folks. Completely different. I'm talking about generational differences. Gen Y vs. Gen X vs. Baby Boomer Vs. Boomers. Each generation approached marriage, children, careers, money etc different. Every generation things change.

As for your kids, great for them for not having kids out of wedlock either(I know you said you have two sons correct?). But that doesn't change the fact that in my generation it seems to be a trend to cohabitate, not want to get married, and/or sometimes have a child unmarried. Baby Boomers got married early, had children in their early twenties, bought a house, etc, and valued marriage. Gen X'ers approached things differently from baby boomers. They tended to get married later, have children in their mid thirties to early forties which was completely different from the baby boomers who had kids in their early twenties. Generation Y is different from Gen X, and Baby Boomers.

Of course in every generation there are loads of people that either follow trend, or don't follow trend; there are plenty of people like your sons for instance that wouldn't have children without being married or under 30. But there are also people that for whatever reason, have children younger in life, without being married, and sometimes they are single parents. Sometimes they aren't. Yes it's horrible that there are so many single mom's raising children, young people raising children, and people that don't value marriage or aren't married raising children, and I agree that it's a cultural change. I don't know when the change occurred, but it seems like it's a part of the Gen Y culture(it's my opinion anyway). Most Gen Yr's where born in the early 1980's, so most happen to be 31/32 and under and that (those under 30) happens to also be the largest group of people having kids out of wedlock. Make the connection? I did.

We agree, that was all I was trying to say too.

Not all fads and trends have good long term effects on society I'm afraid.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,154,950 times
Quote:
But going back to the OP's most of these women having kids under 30, without being married ARE gen Y'rs. Abortion was legalized decades ago, and it happened before the out of wedlock number for this particular age group(30 and under) was as high as it is today. So it isn't just abortion being legalized. FYI the high divorce rate mainly applies to Baby Boomers and some Gen x'rs way more than it does Gen Yr's--most Gen y'rs aren't even married yet. All of these changes that you're talking about changed decades ago, and don't necessarily account for the statistic. What does account for it, is like Lovemountains said--a change in culture, and values.
Most people were doing that only since the 1970s and some tech was as recent as 2000s, so the former was right before they came out. But I understand what you mean. I guess they became apathetic seeing their parents start divorcing, because it used to not be like that.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,847,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Most people were doing that only since the 1970s and some tech was as recent as 2000s, so the former was right before they came out. But I understand what you mean. I guess they became apathetic seeing their parents start divorcing, because it used to not be like that.
Probably so.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
I have said this before and I will say it again. 99 % of the women who have kids who are good and respectful and have honor are women who are married. If a woman is single and not married with kids then there is usually something wrong with her unless of course she is single because of a tragic circumstance.
Some single women are good mothers -- they aren't bringing home new boyfriends to abuse the kids, they stay home raising their kids -- not out in the clubs partying up a storm and neglecting their babies. They work for a living, try to improve their lives.

Sadly though it seems that 2 months after the baby is born, mom is hitting the clubs and bars looking for her next free sperm donor. The quality of men decreases with each child, the children are often at least emotionally abused and neglected but often physically.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
I have said this before and I will say it again. 99 % of the women who have kids who are good and respectful and have honor are women who are married. If a woman is single and not married with kids then there is usually something wrong with her unless of course she is single because of a tragic circumstance.
I don't completely agree with the bolded. Just because a woman is married doesn't mean she is better than a woman that isn't married with child, nor does it mean she is more respectable and "good". It means that she valued marriage before having a child and that was most likely the type of family model she wanted. That says little about what type of mother she is, person she is, etc--I can think of one friend off the top my head that is married with 4 kids to an abusive man, and she is not a very good mother for a variety of reasons. But she was raised in the church and was taught to get married and stay married regardless of how messed up her marriage gets and that is exactly what she has done. Life happens, mistakes can be made, that doesn't make a woman "bad", or not respectable, or "worse" than a woman who chose to get married. Your type of thinking is narrow-minded and very ignorant. Of course there are slew of horrible single parents, or single parents with a ton of flaws. But there are also single parents, and/or unmarried parents that are good people but either did not value marriage or the relationship broke down sometime after having the child(which does happen EVEN to married couples).

What I will say is that a woman who chose to get married before having a child made a smart decision if her marriage is good and she married the right man.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,154,950 times
Quote:
I don't completely agree with the bolded. Just because a woman is married doesn't mean she is better than a woman that isn't married with child, nor does it mean she is more respectable and "good". It means that she valued marriage before having a child and that was most likely the type of family model she wanted. That says little about what type of mother she is, person she is, etc--I can think of one friend off the top my head that is married with 4 kids to an abusive man, and she is not a very good mother for a variety of reasons. But she was raised in the church and was taught to get married and stay married regardless of how messed up her marriage gets and that is exactly what she has done. Life happens, mistakes can be made, that doesn't make a woman "bad", or not respectable, or "worse" than a woman who chose to get married. Your type of thinking is narrow-minded and very ignorant. Of course there are slew of horrible single parents, or single parents with a ton of flaws. But there are also single parents, and/or unmarried parents that are good people but either did not value marriage or the relationship broke down sometime after having the child(which does happen EVEN to married couples).

What I will say is that a woman who chose to get married before having a child made a smart decision if her marriage is good and she married the right man.
SK, your quote post is not true, but I saw a lot of them have a bad reputation because of the less fortunate ones. For example, try telling anyone you're a single mom with four kids. They might start asking you about jobs, welfare, and all this other stuff, maybe even criticize you. But somehow being a married ma of four eliminates this. Society has a weird stigma.

A lot of celebrities haven't married and had kids, too. Some were in abusive marriages. What would you say about that? 99% is a high statistic.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
SK, your quote post is not true, but I saw a lot of them have a bad reputation because of the less fortunate ones. For example, try telling anyone you're a single mom with four kids. They might start asking you about jobs, welfare, and all this other stuff, maybe even criticize you. But somehow being a married ma of four eliminates this. Society has a weird stigma.

A lot of celebrities haven't married and had kids, too. Some were in abusive marriages. What would you say about that? 99% is a high statistic.
The guy is just plain ignorant. 99% Means that most single moms are not respectable, bad people and I highly disagree. And I agree with you, the welfare single mama's with multiple children by multiple men make it bad for the single moms that aren't in that position or that didn't sleep with a loser and get pregnant. Relationships fall apart. People fall out of love. Things happen. There is a portion of single mom's that made bad errors in judgement and are trying to make up for it, and there are the single mom's who made bad errors and continue making them.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 PM

132 posts, read 176,400 times
Because most American women under 30 are painfully stupid.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,239,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
Because most American women under 30 are painfully stupid.
Got any idea where to find the single smart ones?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 PM

132 posts, read 176,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Got any idea where to find the single smart ones?
Scandinavia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships