Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,678,817 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people suggesting to struggling young men to "focus on getting your life/career together before you worry about dating"

is this really good advice? I am asking because I've basically let my work become my whole life over the last 6 months or so. The end result is that my job is going great but I'm stuck in the first gear in my dating life and can't get started. It's to the point now where I don't even care anymore, I don't try anymore and my mom has begun to wonder if I'm gay or not. I have to explain to her all the time that I'm not gay, I just can't get a girlfriend...it happens

What do you guys think? Is it not a complete fallacy that being more successful will automatically result to more success with the ladies? I think success has very little to do with dating. Hell I don't even think looking good or being in shape has anything to do with dating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,871 times
Focus on your career or life is always good advice, as long as you do so to further yourself and not in order to "get the ladies". See, women dont really care about your career, your position or about how much money you make. They do however find behavior that succesful men display, attractive. Society has formed these dynamics in such way, that allow our civilization to be driven forward and as long as men believe that they have to be accomplished in order to get the women, the progress is taking place. However, in todays world, you dont really have to achieve anything in order to get the ladies. All you need to do is display the behavior that is attractive to women.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Focus on your career or life is always good advice, as long as you do so to further yourself and not in order to "get the ladies".

Then why does this ALWAYS come up when we discuss young men who are struggling to get dates?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,026 times
You can further your career and get girls At the same time. The key is to not get distracted

Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Focus on your career or life is always good advice, as long as you do so to further yourself and not in order to "get the ladies". See, women dont really care about your career, your position or about how much money you make. They do however find behavior that succesful men display, attractive. Society has formed these dynamics in such way, that allow our civilization to be driven forward and as long as men believe that they have to be accomplished in order to get the women, the progress is taking place. However, in todays world, you dont really have to achieve anything in order to get the ladies. All you need to do is display the behavior that is attractive to women.
The problem with most of this is, your basically saying that all successful men exude confidence and or have great game that attracts women. That's not always true, alot of these guys especially the nerds are socially awkward and aren't really great at talking with people especially women. Their tons of celebrities like this as well. But their success, money, and in some cases fame overrides this and allows them to succeed with women.

You really think the reason Hugh Hefner has slept with god knows how many women over the decades is because the way he acts? FOH Lol, it's because he's rich and famous, nothing more nothing less.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:30 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,175 times
You need a wingman, bro.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
You need a wingman, bro.

I got a friend of mine who has admittingly been with over a 100 women (I've seen him go through 4 girlfriends just in the last 7 months alone). He has tried to help me out but to no avail, I'm a lost cause. I'm a female repellant

Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
I do think a really unwavering focus on my career has REALLY hurt me in the dating world. During the infancy of my career, I pretty much worked 80 hour work weeks trying to prove myself, and if I wasn't working, I was either studying new stuff, and trying to be relevant in the work force. When you take the time to focus on your career there are sacrifices you have to make. I believe my ability to relate to women has suffered because for years most problems I dealt with were simple and career oriented. Now that I have a very established career, I'm finding it hard to work backwards at times. However I haven't heavily dated professional women, but I think that's the route I may end up going.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
I got a friend of mine who has admittingly been with over a 100 women (I've seen him go through 4 girlfriends just in the last 7 months alone). He has tried to help me out but to no avail, I'm a lost cause. I'm a female repellant
Players don't necessarily make good wingmen. I was a wingman for a depressed loner once, took him to Dave and Busters, and found him his first long term girlfriend.
I am not a player though. I don't go to bars or clubs and have to find women the hardway.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,467 times
just like everything else, balance is key. yes, you want to focus on your life/career but if you're the kind of person that really needs companionship and intimacy (some people are perfectly fine without these for long periods of time), then you'll have to focus on getting some women in your life.
this might mean cutting back on your hours so you can spend more time socializing and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships