Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times

Advertisements

Been reading these threads and seem to run into a common theme on here when people are giving other people advice. Instead of saying to go pray or talk to family I mainly see people advising others to go see a counselor which in my world does not compute because most people in my path are like me, lower-income or struggling middle class. I have never had friends or co-workers in my life who have said they resort to seeing a counselor for their problems. How many of you actually talk to a counselor when you have issues? How many of you just tell people to see one just because it makes you sound like a responsible person in front of other posters on here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,079 times
I'm actually seeing a counselor, but if I didn't have student health insurance I wouldn't be able to afford it. While I do think some past and present posters here could use quite a bit of counseling, I understand that money is an issue and therapy just can't be in the cards for some.

There is also a pride issue that comes with seeking therapy and mental health issues carry quite a bit of stigma. I mean, my own mother doesn't know that this isn't my first stint with a therapist, but she has a rather old school way of thinking. So, I don't talk about it. The only person in my life that knows I'm seeking therapy is my best friend (and possibly her fiance since she tells him just about everything, but he's cool so whatever).

Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
I don't think people suggest seeing a counselor to sound responsible - they probably suggest it when it seems like the person's problems are too serious to really be helped by an online forum.

I saw a therapist for awhile years ago - it was wonderful. She helped me so much and it was usually the highlight of my week.

I'm not religious so I would never suggest praying to anyone - but usually I suggest talking to the person that someone is having a problem with. If I'm upset with my husband - he's the only one who can make me feel better and he's the only one who can tell me what he is truly feeling.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:22 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,812 times
I would take the "go see a counselor" suggestion here with a grain a salt. Most of the time its by people who don't like someone personally or don't see eye to eye on an issue. Most folks only do self promotion more so than giving actual advice.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I would take the "go see a counselor" suggestion here with a grain a salt. Most of the time its by people who don't like someone personally or don't see eye to eye on an issue. Most folks only do self promotion more so than giving actual advice.
I guess this is what I got a sense of when I read lots of posts on here, kind of a way to say, "I'm ok and you're messed up in the head because you are below me".

Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
My last visit, we just discussed politics, disbelief about the area where we live, how the minds of the people here work and how mismanaged the county is. that's pretty much how our sessions go. It's more for company these days when if and when I do go. She'll ask if I've read the latest book. I do feel pretty uplifted when I leave. She didn't think I should completely give up my crutch that replaced my cigarette smoking, just try not to eat an entire box of crackers on a daily basis.

PS, I do get the feeling she feels I need to find Jesus.

1,360 posts, read 1,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I guess this is what I got a sense of when I read lots of posts on here, kind of a way to say, "I'm ok and you're messed up in the head because you are below me".
Yep I got that too that's why I wouldn't take a lot of post here seriously having an opposite opinion here is sometimes as bad as having an opposite opinion on politics or religion.

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Well, to be fair - there are certain posters on here that I really do think need to see a therapist. They have some deep rooted issues and I'm not sure that a forum is the best place for them. I guess I think that if they really had a healthy, supportive family to talk to - they wouldn't need therapy to begin with.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM

20,391 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I have seen various counselors of various kinds for various reasons since my childhood. I was not medicated, but I was taken for lots and lots of talk therapy.

By and large it was all a complete waste of time. Like talking to a wall. A wall that scribbles its grocery list on a legal pad during our conversations.

There was one and only one that I found to have merit, and that was a high school psychologist I saw for a while. He was great, because he called shenanigans on my excuses and the lies I was telling myself, which everyone else wanted to believe and let me continue to spout. He was an old crusty guy from Jersey who just didn't let you sit there and BS yourself. He told it like it was and forced me to confront reality and take ownership. When I would have blamed my Mother for all my problems, he made me admit that even though I was just a kid, I was fully capable of making decisions and needed to own the decisions I made. I adhere to his ideologies to this day, and it's taken me quite far.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,190 times
I'm incredibly thankful for the therapist who I saw for quite a time several years ago. He was an amazing help to me in dealing with issues I was really struggling with.

A good therapist is a very good thing. A bad therapist is equally horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships